Shigurui

The Greatest Manga of All Times, in my opinion.

It is the only work that dares call itself SERIOUS and actually be and stay serious all the way (Looking at you, Puck and Ishidoro from Berserk...)

Here's the thing: I believe that a manga which calls itself SERIOUS should have no such things as COMEDIC RELIEF (what the character of Puck constantly does in Berserk. And sometimes the character of Ishidoro. And sometimes others). Well, this is the one. No such thing as comedic relief here, no goofs. Thank you for that.

Also, huge thumbs up to this manga for managing to create truly powerful characters without having them break the bounds of reality.

I understand this work is not for everybody and is at the very best a cult hit, but I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is tired of the cliched battle mangas and is looking for something that is seriously serious.
You won't find any magic systems here, no characters that are the chosen ones, no demons and dragons, no dark lords who open interdimensional portals to summon undead armies, and definitely no loved characters who come back to life. See, all those things are ingredients for PLOT HOLES. But Shigurui is the one manga (sure, sure, not the only) where ordinary characters achieve extraordinary things not through magic but through real hard work and sacrifice.

For me it will always remain the greatest manga. Much respect to this masterpiece and I hope the future will bring us more samurai/ninja manga set in universes that maintain the bounds of reality (so far I've found none like this).

Incredible... Just incredible. The story is fantastic. Yamaguchi's art is fantastic. Really liked how the story was laid out in terms of chronology. By the end of the story I felt like the author really did a fantastic job developing the grudge between the two.

As for the art, it's up there with Kentaro Miura's BERSERK and Tetsuo Hara HOKUTO NO KEN & SOUTEN NO KEN in terms of beauty. I highly recommend this if you enjoy graphic manga with a good story.

So fucking great. Didn't want it to end.

Historical violent manga are a dime a dozen, but Shigurui stands heads stacked gloriously atop one another above the rest. The story winds beautifully through its arcs and unfolds with exciting, yet poignant pacing. Yamaguchi's distinct and haunting art style lends a hauntingly gory and brutal weight of tone that is truly unsurpassed in the medium. While it may not be the most recognized manga, it is truly a classic, and required reading for anyone looking for a more grounded and terrifying look into the striking tragedy of the samurai era.

the manga was superb but the problem was that most of the panels weren't being loaded for me so i missed a lot

Dex-chan lover
This is one of the greatest samurai manga series, and it's also quite unique.
If you like detailed art with expressive faces, lots of gore, and general grotesqueness, this is a must read for you.

That very last page on the last chapter was so unnecessary like why. every other part of this manga was great but just why did it have an ending such as that.

Double-page supporter
1) this series has no chill--read it if you don't mind gore
2) the mangaka draws nipples REALLY well lmfao

Some unnecessary story and some forgotten, what was that ending! I’m mad I wasted my time for a one page killer of a ending. I see people writing essays on the ending but really it’s just characters doing stupid stuff for the sake of a bad ending. Characters never had there own thoughts and where always changed for the sake of the story at the moment. Really don’t understand how someone can come up with it being a masterpiece from a pile of nothing. The art and paneling and frames really made it good until the ending of course

Are you guys really not satisfied with the ending haha. Did you guys expect just showy Samurai killings?? Yes there were battles but really we were taken into the mindsets of the Samurais. Ending was great also with that anecdote of the battle being recorded of simply a “blind man” and “one armed man”. No one was meant to “win” cause being a “Samurai” was simply an empty meaning at that point. MF below me wrote his own “essay” on why he didn’t get the story lmaoo smh.

This is by far the creme de la creme of its genre, and if you don't, or didn't like it FUCK YOU AND YOUR WHINY, WORTHLESS OPINION.

I remember watching the anime when I was like 13 and it creeped the shit out of me, still amazing, both the anime and manga, but really gruesome

Users who are viewing this thread