Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie - Vol. 4 Ch. 44

Dex-chan lover
jesus fuck this boy is god damned herbivore.
he could effortlessly go for a kiss there, why wouldn't he?
isn't he 17?

Wow, Fire Syndicate!!! You are absolutely right! I'm thankful there's still groups that are translating for the sake of the fans.

Dex-chan lover
Not gonna lie, I was really expecting (or hoping for) a kiss. Otherwise plenty wholesome.

Fed-Kun's army
> sniping
if FS thinks they can do better, let 'em. The visual quality's certainly gone up. Dunno about the TL/PR though. Definitely some awkward lines left in with this and previous chapters. (TL/PR: if you wanna know what and why, I'll gladly point 'em out here or in PMs.)
No series is sacred enough that only one group/person should be responsible for localizing it. Converse also applies: no one group or person is important enough that no one else should be allowed to encroach on whatever series they're actively working. Leave the high school clique BS out.

> donations
I can understand taking them if a group is just covering hosting costs. However, I fully agree that buying volumes as an excuse for taking up a collection is a steaming pile of horse dung and should be disregarded. I encourage folks that haven't ever looked into buying raw volumes to do some investigating of your own -- the prices quoted are about right for a standard 100-150 page volume. amazon.co.jp and rakuten.co.jp can provide hard evidence (if you can't read moonrunes, don't sweat it and just take FS' word for it).

Aggregator gang
Not caring about sniping and that bullshit if yours release is nice. But using shitty magazine raws vs volume releases makes a difference. So it's not such one-sided thing like you present it. Other than that, there are also hosting costs.

@julesmfinwinnfield now let's call you on your bullshit. https://books.rakuten.co.jp/rb/15681789/ volume release of One Piece costs almost 500 yen Kingdom almost 600, there are also even more expensive series.

Your first mistake was going to reddit, and the people who ask money probably are unemployed if patreon bucks is > wage slaving in their country

I’m pretty sure everybody on this site should know how scanlators work and I don’t mind donating to certain groups if they don’t keep asking for them or make it seem like they need it for raws. The only ones I hate are the ones who block chapters behind paetron or some kind of paywall like bruh.

Fed-Kun's army
@Tikibo
I'm failing to see how 500-600 yen is at all bank-breaking enough that groups need donations to keep themselves in raws if they really, *really* have to scan for themselves instead of seeking out basically free resources that are still of relatively decent quality. Even with shipping included (which depends mostly on how much you're ordering and how far the order needs to go), you're not giving up an arm, a leg and what's left of your soul.

Volume cost alone for that OP volume you mentioned is about $4.60, well under what I'd pay for Viz's TL'd volumes in the US (before shipping, anyway). As FS points out, manga ain't only for the rich and well-to-do. Claiming that it's an expense no one in a scan group can afford to take on themselves seems suspect at best.

To Chrondoz's point, I've no issues with donating if the work is stellar.

tl;dr - I'm agreeing with what FS is saying, not going against. If that wasn't clear, I apologize.

@TheMinester Maybe. :p

Group Leader
@Hasshi Many of the manga on this site, including this one, are available for free online. Scanlating those manga is not piracy. Even for the ones that aren't available for free, you could still argue that it's not morally wrong to pirate something that isn't available in your country or language. Only the most popular manga get official releases in English, and they're almost always several chapters if not entire volumes behind the Japanese versions, and often times have worse translation quality than unofficial scanlations. There's even fewer manga that are officially translated into languages other than English.

At the end of the day, we're making decisions based on our morals, not the law. Maybe you have a different opinion on this, but I don't see scanlation as morally wrong, regardless of the legality. I'm sure even someone so heavily against piracy like you still listens to the occasional pirated song on Youtube. It's illegal, but it doesn't harm anyone, so most people don't care. Scanlation is exactly the same. If anything, scanlation actually benefits the author since their manga becomes more popular in other regions and theirs a higher chance of it getting an official release there.

I think Shikimori-san has always had a softer side, but she's had to be fierce, determined and intimidating to keep that part of her from being hurt badly. It wasn't until she got to know Izumi-san well enough, and learned to see who he really was, that she began to trust him enough to show him her softer side. Not to say she isn't fierce, determined and intimidating, but she trusts him enough to shew that's onley a part of who she is.

Holy shit finally someone is actually calling out these groups that constantly beg for donations and whine about “sniping”. Both are such bullshit. I’m with whoever wrote that page at the end. Any group with a patreon can fuck off.

What’s even more obnoxious to me is when groups make their own site for literally no reason then they proceed to beg for donations to “pay for server costs” or other bull. Even worse when they start to run intrusive ads and attempt to draw people to their site. Like you could have easily just posted your manga to mangadex for free (or batoto when it was around). There hasn’t been a legitimate reason for a site for a long time. It’s not 2009. Worst case scenario if mangadex goes down for good you post the chapters as torrents or on Mega until another site pops up within a few weeks.

Aggregator gang
Scamlation groups nicely summarized. Also chapter nicely done. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread