Shinjuku Swan - Vol. 19 Ch. 184 - Money Laundering

Dex-chan lover
3 being written as 8 works well in English, but in Japanese? Is that a translation liberty or are their numbers basically in English?

@Lithe I assume for accounting they also use the same numbers as we use since its universally accepted and makes it easier for a wide range of people to easily analyze and interpret them.

Dex-chan lover
@Lithe The Japanese use both Chinese and Arabic numerals in daily life. Their accounting is usually written in Arabic numerals, since it's easier and faster to write.

Chinese numerals are used mainly when they don't have to calculate with them, or when the number is small or simple. Some small restaurants use them to keep foreigners away, since they won't enter if they can't read the price on the menu. And even then, the prices are written in a mix of Chinese and Arabic, like 一五〇〇 for "1500" instead of 一千五百 (for "1 thousand 5 hundred"), as would normally be the case.

Dex-chan lover
@zloquanx
Notice how the first instance of "Arabic" has a different color than the rest of my text? That's because it's a link. You can click on that link, and it will lead you a source backing my claim. The very first sentence of which literally says:
Arabic numerals are the ten digits: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9.

If you want to be pedantic, you can say that these are actually "Western Arabic numerals", as there are also "Eastern Arabic numerals". However, my point was that Arabic numerals are not "written in English", for that would be "one", "two", "three", and so on. Obviously, nobody would mistake "three" for "eight", if written in English.

That being said, here's a friendly piece of advice: You shouldn't refute a source-backed claim without providing a source of your own. It makes you look very... stupid, regardless of what you think of the provided source. If you want a different source, here's one: https://study.com/academy/lesson/arabic-numerals-definition-history-example.html

@Nolonar
I don't care about your wikipedia link you armchair pseud
And this same link is saying it came from india in the first place then in persia (not arab)

Dex-chan lover
@zloquanx
I don't care about your wikipedia link you armchair pseud
Good thing I posted another link that's not from Wikipedia, then, huh?
Funny you'd call me a pseud when you don't even know the basics of arguing.

And this same link is saying it came from india in the first place then in persia (not arab)
I thought you didn't care about the link?

Besides, that same link also says it's called "Arabic numerals", not "Indian numerals".
It's also why there's this language called "English" and not "Proto-Indo-European", or why Russians use the "Russian alphabet", which is a "Cyrillic alphabet" and not a "Bulgarian alphabet".

Users who are viewing this thread