Shinmai Shimai no Futari Gohan - Ch. 47 - Vegetable Terrine

Aggregator gang
My eeeeyeees. I thought it was Hentai mayo in pg. 8. It was Mentai Mayo. Gahd so confusing.

Dex-chan lover
Nee-chan use glare of the puppy eye... IT WAS SUPER EFFECTIVE!

Fed-Kun's army
Adorable kabedon from little nee-san to get Ayari to spill the truth. They’re adorable.

Supporter
I posted this in the chapter in question but it's old (chapter 31) so I'll ask here also:

In the very first chapter, Eri states that she wished she had a sibling (page 6), but in chapter 31 we're introduced to her little sister and her younger brother also appears in the Valentines Day chapter (21).

Was this an error in the translation or did the author forget he set up that context?

Fed-Kun's army
Is this manga set in the 80's?. But seriously do people still eat gelatin with food in them?

Aggregator gang
@bobbybiracial people use gelatin all the time. just not the american jello in food fad that should have died before it ever existed.

Double-page supporter
@bobbybiracial
This isn't like fruit suspended in jello.
The gelatin here is only used to bind the food into shape.
If you were making a meat terrine the meat's internal fats and gelatin would usually be enough to do the job. But as its veggies here they need a bit of help to stick.

Double-page supporter
@Penjuugo
I'm not the translator, and I only have cursory knowledge of Japanese, but I went ahead and checked the raws.

In the bubble you're referring to in chapter 1 Eri says
"いーなー"
"姉妹ができるって"

いーなー being an expression of envy and 姉妹ができるって being more or less "you have a sister"

Although I suppose it could be a more general "how nice, you have a sister"

So it does seem to be translated properly, aside from English saying siblings while the Japanese only says sister/sisters. Either Eri was being vague in a way that doesn't translate well and was jealous she didn't have a sister her age, or it was retconned after it was clear the series would go on for awhile.

Again I'm no expert in Japanese grammar though, so if someone else has a better translation please correct me.

Fed-Kun's army
More than the recipe for the terrine, i am interested on how to get gelatin and which part of an animal is best for that.

@bobbybiracial what the year has to do with eating something?

Dex-chan lover
@Abetillo Whatever part happens to be bony and/or has a lot of cartilage and has a lot of connective tissues, like chicken wings, or a cow/pig’s trotter

Double-page supporter
@Abetillo While terrine has been around for centuries in various forms, sometimes (like in this chapter) an infused gelatin (called aspic) is added. Gelatin itself is usually produced by cooking what AnonDePlume mentioned, such as calf's-foot jelly, gelatin was eventually able to be dried and sold in sheets and then granulated. I think most of the time it's just spare animal parts like bones, skin, etc.

It's possible to use agar for something similar to gelatin and comes from seaweed.

However, a company named Jell-O became known for selling gelatin in the early 1900's. At some point, after world war II, mostly in the 40's-50's there was the first big jell-o mold with fruits in it. It was more gelatin than other ingredients. While it wasn't as common in the 80's, many people born in those years do recall fruit in jello which was still around.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/history-of-jell-o-salad.html
and
https://soundcloud.com/gastropodcast/watch-it-wiggle-the-jell-o-story

Users who are viewing this thread