Shino to Ren

Meh, cute but not great.
The artstyle is definitely something of its own, but it's more confusing than anything else.
Every chapter is a slice of life without an introduction or a conclusion. Saying nothing is happening would be an overstatement.
We are told one is top, the other bottom, but the way they interact with each other show the complete opposite.
And finally, a lot of teasing for nothing in exchange.

Very meh.

Dex-chan lover
It's like a bland prototype of Convenient Semi-Friend, the author's ongoing manga, which rehashes very similar character designs and personalities. The pretty art style stays. Convenient Semi-Friend has a deeper couple and an actual plot. Read the real deal instead of this prototype unless you're here for fluff which is okay too.

Not sold yet? Now the shy assertive girl is a Hitori-like anxious gay mess who can barely tolerate slight touching but still shows a talent for seduction, and the athletic girl is a (lapsing?) player who is thrown off that she's suddenly feeling overwhelmed and submissive. The main couple was upgraded, which adds much-needed nuance to them being thirsty dorks.

Contributor
Not very good. The artstyle can be good but it's mostly meh-level, it's trying too hard to be cute and all.

It doesn't feel like an authentic relationship at all...

It's like a bland prototype of Convenient Semi-Friend, the author's ongoing manga, which rehashes very similar character designs and personalities. The pretty art style stays. Convenient Semi-Friend has a deeper couple and an actual plot. Read the real deal instead of this prototype unless you're here for fluff which is okay too.

Not sold yet? Now the shy assertive girl is a Hitori-like anxious gay mess who can barely tolerate slight touching but still shows a talent for seduction, and the athletic girl is a (lapsing?) player who is thrown off that she's suddenly feeling overwhelmed and submissive. The main couple was upgraded, which adds much-needed nuance to them being thirsty dorks.
It's supposed to be small stories between the author weekly artworks featuring Shino and Ren, kind of like an omake. Semifure is intentionaly using the same characters and quirks, but instead of an omake it's a full manga, which is good.

I own the Shino to Ren book and between chapters there is some of the aformentioned weekly in it. It's a very good book for fan of the artist, but not really for anyone looking for full yuri stories.
I urge you to not look as a competition between their two works, but as a parallel timeline/omake.

A series of vignettes of two cute and emotionally healthy 16 year-olds in love and having sex? Count me in. I have piles of dramatic, slow-burn yuri manga to wade through that never get here. I personally want to see a lot more yuri manga about the relationship and not the build up to it. I can completely relate to their feelings of not being able to keep their hands off of their partner in high school. I don't need every manga to be deep or gut-wrenching. Sometimes, a refreshing sweet little snack of love, sex, and fun hits the spot.

Dex-chan lover
This mangaka's art style is progressively looking more and more like AI generated with newer works. Just look at their old works, it looks somewhat generic cutesy style but you still can tell a human drew that. With this though, when you look at it, it's kinda bugging you "did an AI crap this out" at the back of your head.

Users who are viewing this thread