Shirley - Vol. 1 Ch. 7.5 - Postscript Manga

Fed-Kun's army
As I mentioned in the comment thread for my chapter 19 upload, I'm mainly uploading this to complete the English version of volume 1 on here, since all the chapters were previously translated but the commentary manga was still in Japanese, and I had already made an English version of this to post elsewhere before. Did give it a few small touchups before uploading here. Not gonna be doing any remakes of the rest of the vol 1 chapters even if the translations of them does have some hiccups in places, since it's gotten an actual English release. But enjoy these five pages, at least!

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Honestly I think this work is proof that making art thats just about all the things the author likes best actually rules and should be done all the time. Also it's pretty unsurprising she's really into the housekeeper from Sherlock Holmes, huh... (said fondly)

Contributor
Honestly I think this work is proof that making art thats just about all the things the author likes best actually rules and should be done all the time.
As an artist myself, I have to say that it's more six of one, half a dozen of the other. In a word, the Golden Mean.

Too much freedom and you never get anything done; too little freedom and nothing you make is worthwhile. Having some directives and timeframes to work within can prevent you from getting side-tracked, never finishing anything, or never beginning anything. However, too many — or worse, yet, micro-management — strangles creativity and its fruit.

Igor Stravinsky (who devoted an entire chapter of his book on music to composition, focusing on the topic), referred to this as having constraints, and, like myself, found it helpful.

(From my personal experience: media or subject matter which I thought I didn't like, when being made to use them, I sometimes fell in love with, or came up with a long series of good content — others I came to have an educated dislike of, which I guess is a kind of improvement. There was also the time I had to write an essay on a book I positively loathed, and my professor, hearing my difficulty, advised me to write my essay on why I hated it — it was among the best I wrote that semester. I'd say it's all about balancing the right amount of constraint with the right amount of freedom.)

Dex-chan lover
As an artist myself, I have to say that it's more six of one, half a dozen of the other. In a word, the Golden Mean.

Too much freedom and you never get anything done; too little freedom and nothing you make is worthwhile. Having some directives and timeframes to work within can prevent you from getting side-tracked, never finishing anything, or never beginning anything. However, too many — or worse, yet, micro-management — strangles creativity and its fruit.

Igor Stravinsky (who devoted an entire chapter of his book on music to composition, focusing on the topic), referred to this as having constraints, and, like myself, found it helpful.

(From my personal experience: media or subject matter which I thought I didn't like, when being made to use them, I sometimes fell in love with, or came up with a long series of good content — others I came to have an educated dislike of, which I guess is a kind of improvement. There was also the time I had to write an essay on a book I positively loathed, and my professor, hearing my difficulty, advised me to write my essay on why I hated it — it was among the best I wrote that semester. I'd say it's all about balancing the right amount of constraint with the right amount of freedom.)
Hah! That's true that you improve best when you make sure to eat your vegetables. Consider my words nothing more then the selfish enjoyment of an art appreciator; not so much 'an artist doing whatever they like', but specifically, I adore when artists very clearly make work about precisely what they love best. In terms of a long term comic/series, you know?

I like the energy it produces! Someone who truly loves cowboys making vaquero OC's, someone who adore the minutia of world building getting into it. To be clear, you're truly quite correct!

...But also it's fun~ Works like Mori-Sensi's love of maids and historical research, T. Kingfishers adoration of gardening making it into unrelated horror, whatever the living hell Saru-sensi is on about. It's true limits are good! But at least one person out here in the world will adore a passionate mess. But I appreciate your words on reserve as well, and wish you luck.

Users who are viewing this thread