Shishunki Bitter Change

Dex-chan lover
Im very disappointed. The characters are very annoying, the storyline doesnt make any sense, the plot seems to weak. I hate this manga with all my heart. Yui is the worst characters that doesnt have any brain or common sense. My dissapointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined. Im going to kill every character in this manga and the author.

this manga's ending is different from the web comic I wouldn't go into detail about the ending but if you want to know if it have a good ending or a bad end press the spoiler button
it's a good ending

'Bitter Change' was a joy to read. From the beginning to the very end, the story never got dull. All the characters were well written and felt impressively realistic. None of the conflicts in the story felt forced and all the themes were given the attention they deserved.

It was pure joy to read, so much so that once I started, I couldn't stop until I got to the end. It almost breaks my heart seeing how little attention this manga seems to have recieved on this site.

With all of that said I give 'Bitter Change' a 10/10 and recomend everyone to give it a chance.

It’s interesting to see how the characters feel to body swap for a long time. Usually body swapping story only happens for a short moment.

That was great. I heavily enjoyed that. Now my question is whether bodyswapping then conducting reproduction would be counted as selfcest. Overall it was entertaining and if you are into gendbend’s you’ll enjoy it.

Loved the ending, even if the journey was a little frustrating at times. A solid 8/10 for me. :)

The ending was rushed, probably due to the changes from the original webcomic and not having enough character development to compensate for it. But overall it was a good ride. 8/10

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
It was so good up until the last four chapters!!!!! The thing that gets me is that the ending didn’t have to be that rushed even with the same amount of chapters, and it could have been different.
There are some people that liked it, but for me it was super unsatisfactory.

Just binged this in a day. Very hard to describe how I feel about this manga, I haven't been this invested in a manga for awhile now, where I genuinely felt my heart beating from the shit that transpires in the manga. All that said I still wouldn't call it a good manga, decent, but maybe not quite 'good'.

The ending felt rushed? And I feel like the characters needed some more time to really develop (especially the romance, wayyyy too rushed). The entire manga is agonizing to read at times, where halfway through the manga I realized the ending might end tragically, which I'm glad it (apparently) differed from the webcomic ending.

Really hooked me from start to finish, I'm not quite satisfied with it but well I've learned one thing, which is the existentially horrifying implications of body swap stories and that the fuckers in 'Your Name' got it lucky.

Halfway through the story, it turns into your average romance manga. The bodyswap is still present, but might as well be a non-factor. They also should've gotten together by the end of middle school. It's as if the author didn't know what else to come up with if they did end up going out by that time, and so instead stretched it out all the way to the end of the story. Then, they apparently swap back after the accident AND THEN swap again in the underdeveloped extras (that honestly should've been part of the main story)??

Honestly really disappointing. The story was so focused on the half-baked "romance" between the two main characters that other ideas fell by the wayside

Disappointing in numerous ways only because it had a lot of solid pieces to it.

The first qualm is the lack of development with their families. Realistically, they should have been a lot more anguished over being torn away from their homes, and this would have been accentuated during their infrequent visits. But the manga wanted to spend its focus elsewhere, and that's actually fine. Second, there probably could've been more focus on the physical/mental discomfort of the change, particularly into the titular adolescence period, but that's a hackneyed trope at this point and honestly can be a bit cringy, so largely skipping that was fine too.

Where the story excelled was in character development, showing them slowly adjust and rebuild their lives under new circumstances. Their personality changes felt natural and true to their cores, refreshingly eschewing the "body affects mind" trope (that can be fun, but can also give a bit of a shlocky feel).

The greatest and fatal failing of the manga was that the romance sucked. Throughout all of these nice character developments, Yuuta and Yui actually grew more distant, to the point that they hardly interacted (outside of story focus) once they were in high school. This was actually interesting and made sense - they'd always have the fundamental connection of the swap, but their interests and personalities were different to the point that growing apart was natural. They remained friends, but there was practically no romantic development aside from Yuuta's one-sided declaration. Then nothing happened for years as Yui and Kazuma had a lot of mutual screentime that progressed their relationship. Really, the momentum of the story was for those two to get together post unswap, and would have brought those two characters to a sensible resolution.

But such an ending would have been far too tragic for Yuuta, the more sympathetic and active of the two protagonists. Especially post unswap, he would've been unable to relate to the friends he'd made, forcibly estranged from his two closest friends in Kazuma and Yui due to the awkwardness of that situation, and set on an academic-type life path he was wholly unsuited for. The only good ending for him was to remain in Yui's body and end up with Tachibana. That would definitely require a whole lot of mental anguish on his part, but slowly accepting his lot in life would've also been thematically and emotionally satisfying. However, this is, of course, mutually incompatible with Kazuma and Yui getting together.

So it makes sense that the author went for the forced relationship between Yui and Yuuta. The characters are compatible so it's easy enough to imagine they could get together. But this really should've been done in the 50+ chapters before the ending, rather than making Yui suddenly attached to Yuuta in a way she'd never before demonstrated so that she'd reject Kazuma. It was perfectly fine to develop the romance between Yui and Kazuma and have this ending, but that romance was to the exclusion of any connection between Yui and Yuuta, rather than in parallel. Heck, even disguise it as protectiveness, something seemingly sibiling-like, or whatever. But the only attachment between them, aside from being normal (not especially close) friends, was their concern for how their (former) lives were being upkept. That is, Yui being romantically interested in Yuuta, especially without any physical basis, was wholly unconvincing. The explanation of how it all began with him being a "hero" for her was nice, but too late to make an impact without the necessary setup.

Despite expending a lot of text detailing my complaints, this was an enjoyable read. Again, seeing the characters grow was worth it despite the missteps and dissatisfactory resolution. It's nice to see the genderbend topic be treated seriously and have a real impact on the characters rather than be discardable clickbait, and, though some of them are undermined by the ending, the substories are still enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread