Shonen Jump Announces: Free Simulpub and New $2/Month All Backlog Subscription

is a Reindeer
VIP
Weekly Shonen Jump will no longer be published in English but each series' weekly chapter updates will be available for free the same Monday they get released in Japan.

The subscription fee is lowered from $3/month to $2/month and instead gives access to the entire Shonen Jump digital vault, previous annual subscriptions get 3 months free and there will no longer be annual subscriptions.

There is a chapter limit of 100/day that resets at 12 A.M PST.

Only available for: United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, the Philippines, Singapore, and India

77df24c220.png

https://twitter.com/shonenjump/status/1071105976793591810

https://www.viz.com/sj-offer

Only available for: United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Philippines, Singapore, and India.
My, thank you. My country is not included.

Well, I have no problem. I prefer buy the tankobon.

VIP
+1 This seems like a positive change to me, especially in this age of the decline of print. It's nice to see the manga industry continuing to adapt to the changing times, and it should help them remain competitive.

Their desktop reader could still use some improvement though (it still uses Adobe Flash, and the UI for zooming and dragging is a bit clunky), so I hope that gets better soon.

I'm assuming that the back catalog of chapters are the magazine versions, and that the tankoubon versions will continue being released separately through the usual physical/digital outlets?

is a Reindeer
VIP
Seems like a pretty cheap and easy gift for young boys who are interested in getting into manga cause now there's access to backlog. (If you need Holiday gift ideas, just offer to pay for a year of this lol)

It would be nice if all publishers in Japan implemented this method. Not only WSJ.
They really have to find a way to overcome in order to survive.
As if in the anime there are simulcasts, monthly subscriptions and streaming.

But of course physical still runs, it's just print on demand (for those who are interested). Although it still hurts to know that it's just a matter of time, the fate of the physical bookstore will shut down.

Their desktop reader could still use some improvement though (it still uses Adobe Flash, and the UI for zooming and dragging is a bit clunky), so I hope that gets better soon.
I really understand this, it feels uncomfortable. And after that I never tried again.

Dex-chan lover
This seems likes its going to outright murder the western comics industry.

@421cookies
If this system gets a good response, it might be considered to be implemented as a whole. Changes like this, definitely need the required numbers according to the minimum target.

Fed-Kun's army
not in SEA
crap i hate region lock, why cant they publish it like Steam or Comicxology/7 sea ?

Double-page supporter
If you are
Unfortunately this content is not available in your location.

try MANGA Plus by Shueisha. However there's no backlog archive but there's no region restriction and besides SJ there's also simulpub for Jump+ and Jump SQ.

There's about 50 series available atm, but...
We plan to add as many titles as we can, even relatively minor ones that previously never had in English release

Edit: mobile app available also.

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
@BzzBzz
I'm beginning to wonder if publishers have observed the success of MD (and other inferior readers!) and finally got it through their collective skulls that physical print is an unsustainable business model the way the internet and technology has evolved.

Fed-Kun's army
@Zephyrus Well, back in christmas Kondansha did a streaming of their magazine printing and the amount printed is insane.
Just who the fuck bought all those magazine when their magapoke app clearly have at the least hundred thousands of active users. In addition, they're also the only one other than Shuueisha that do english simulpub.
I'm not even sure why they're still printing at this point when they can cut like $1 printing cost each.

Miku best girl
Admin
Japan can be very backwards in their thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread