Short survey/poll: Do you buy manga?

Contributor
Ofc, 7 or 10 a month i guess.
Physical manga >>>>>>>>> digital manga for me.

I still read digital manga like..here because i can discover lot of good series then buy it later if it's localized (I'm fr).

I will not buy, usually I read online on the page. for example [REDACTED] it is completely free

Do not link to other sites.

I do with my favorite series as long as they’re available in English (I can afford manga, but I can’t afford to go to Japan to learn the language...bummer). I do this to support the authors as well as (maybe hopefully) show that there IS a western market. I also get pretty frustrated with SOME of the scanlators at times. I get that they do it for free, and I appreciate it, but do it or don’t. If you say you’ll help me move, don’t drop my shit in the street halfway to my new house and say “but I’m doing it for free” and expect me to say thanks, LOL. Thankfully that’s only been a few I’ve seen, most are really great and I think they’re amazing, but I also have some trust issues. The worst thing is getting invested in a story only to have it dropped out of the blue by a scanlator or to have ridiculously late releases, so whenever possible I buy the official releases of any series I enjoy, with the hopes of guaranteeing, to some degree, that I’ll get to read it eventually even if the scanlators drop it or have midterms or get a puppy.

Dex-chan lover
I buy manga online... There are so few places that actually sells paper manga in my country.

Buy ebook versions.

in my college days i had little else to spend my time on, so i'd usually raid the local borders once a week and come back with at least 8 volumes to read. these days, i generally limit myself to one full series every couple of months - most recently i picked up all six volumes of girls last tour, and later this year i'll get all seven yuru camp volumes.

one thing i do more these days is buy tanks from cdjapan, usually when i have 5+ volumes of each series i follow so i don't get slaughtered by the shipping costs. i'm well behind on monster musume, bocchi and colors though!

Group Leader
Shamefully, I'll admit that anymore I don't. I did back when I was in middle/high school (Circa 2006-2013), but I dropped off on buying manga towards the end of high school and the reason was pretty simple. The types of manga I liked tended to not get picked up in America officially, or if they did there were a lot of unnecessary changes to make it more "Americanized". The reason I enjoyed manga/anime in the first place was because of my first interest in Japan as a whole, so I LOVED reading stuff that had a lot of cultural notes to it, the type of stuff that official publishers liked to stay away from because it would require a lot of explaining to an American who knew very little about Japanese culture.
I will admit, lately when I've walked into book stores I am kinda shocked by the selection. I'll see a lot of stuff I've read before and be like "Wow, THAT actually got picked up?" because I would have never believed it to be the kind of story American producers would find profitable. Guess the manga audience has widened it's range since the late 2000's. However, now the issue is these types of stories tend to only get picked up long after it's initial run in Japan, and by then I've already read it online (Never expecting to to ever get an official release anyway). I know as a good citizen I should buy a couple volumes anyway to make up for my past piracy, but I also just finished college and have yet to find a job that pays more than 8 bucks an hour at 15-20 hours a week 😭I promise mangaka, when I have disposable income again I'll give it to you!

Dex-chan lover
I would buy for mangas that I like. if I see a new manga, I'll check it online and I will buy it if I like it

I buy manga for them to sit on my shelf and i never buy anything that i don't consider being 9 or 10 out of 10.

Dex-chan lover
I buy manga. It’s just that there are many manga that don’t have official English versions.
I’m also getting a j-novel subscription in the near future, just when I’m not as lazy and have more free time.
J-novel club has a few manga.
I basically just buy (hardcopy) manga if I see it in a store. I usually don’t go out just to buy a book. Unless I read the fan translation but it was dropped because some company asked to fan translators to stop
j-novel club

Certain ones i do buy. Im not into long series but a Satoshi Kon or single or short series i do get. Im 2 short for happiness and just got my first copy of Emanon.

Dex-chan lover
Piracy is not theft, since you are not stealing a limited resource, but rather reproducing in a free to consume format. Although it allows those who are unable to enjoy it the chance to do so, it’s possibility may deter some from actually buying the product to support the creator. I have bought manga before because it was translated in English, but the wait time and lack of continued translation in my country (as far as I am aware) urged me to pirate it.

Yona of the Dawn is good, I recommend buying a physical English copy more because the author puts neat little side notes that I find cute and just as entertaining as the story itself

if i currently have the money to do so and it's available, yes!
i'm not sure how much it actually supports the author, but regardless it's nice to have the stories that i enjoy in physical format. even if i'm not reading it, i like just pulling up a random page sometimes to look at the art.

Group Leader
I do, between 5 and 10 a year. I'm still a college student, so I can't buy as much as I'd want.
Actually, I buy mostly all the work from very specific authors like Tetsuya Tsutsui or Jun (Kagerou Days.

My decision on buying a manga depends A LOT on the general effort on making a good french adaptation along with the inking itself, because sadly, in France, the overall quality of the releases is below average, with characters making slangs that are extremely out of place for example, or some editor just grey out the inking to save production costs.

Never bough the mangas I've translated myself, though, because I often disagree with the official translation version.

Poll's closed, so can't answer, but I think my situation may not have been an option anyway. Back when I had income, I religiously bought each new volume of Fruits Basket and Petshop of Horrors Tokyo as soon as possible, and filled in the backlog of the older volumes/past series with used books and new ones both. That was before the big manga bust. Later, yet still many years ago, I picked up some series from rightstuf's Christmas sales that were unsuitable to ask the library for (for Fumi Yoshinaga, I'll read bl), or that the library couldn't find (print on demand Hetalia). Anymore, I don't buy manga. I read things here, or downloaded from scanlator sites; physically, I borrow library books. Libraries have gotten better at stocking manga and graphic novels in my corner of America; they'll keep up with the big name series like SnK, and often start with the first handful of volumes of many series, then forget to keep up. My local library allows patrons to suggest up to 10 titles not in the system to purchase each month. I use most all of my suggestions to get new series or 'remind' the library that they're 3 volumes behind on Golden Kamuy or Jojo. The last half of ACCA-13, which I asked for in May, just showed up today, actually.

Users who are viewing this thread