Shounen, Chotto Sabotteko? - Vol. 3 Ch. 29 - Wanna chat?

Group Leader
Because one group thinks Shounen is the proper translation, and the other group is wrong.

Just kidding. Scanlation drama is nothing new. But I'll still stand strong and say that Shounen is a lot more fun to read than kiddo.

Dex-chan lover
It’s disappointing to see a new chapter notification and then it turns out to be one I already read.

Meh don't really care who translates What. Just seems like a waste of time translating something already being done. Could have been translating some fluffy rom-com noone does. 😇 then again im Just here leeching manga for free so mye opinion means diddly squat in the end. 😛.

For the record i prefer squiggles way of doing things.

Dex-chan lover
I like translations where I don't have to google at least 1 Romanized Japanese word per page only to find out it has literally only one meaning within the context it is used with no culturally significant connotations that may result in something being lost in translation by extension meaning the only reason it wasn't translated is some prick thought it sounds better cause rampant weebery.

Double-page supporter
@MacMeating Agreed. Not a fan of shounen and all that, even though I am grateful for their translations. People may not like “kiddo,” but it makes sense since she’s been saying him as a nephew/brother.

@MacMeaties to be fair, the only non-translated words in the other scanlator is shounen and onee-chan, and this translation uses "onee-chan" too
Though I favor the squiggles translations, you're still awesome, scanlator-san. Ganbare!

Dex-chan lover
@Raphael27 There are others like Iya and Maa for example. Iya for example basically means "no" when used as an interjection and when used as a noun would be "unpleasant" or "disagreeable" (basically something bad) yet it gets left untranslated as if it were a random utterance. Maa roughly means "well" when used as an interjection and to express uncertainty when used as an adverb.

Things like Onee-chan I think gets a pass because of the difficult to translate cultural inflections of the honorifics (though it is possible, just relatively unnatural sounding in English as that level of formality in everyday speech is uncommon/old fashioned). It's the other random crap that gets left in that annoys me and others.

@MacMeaties
Oh yeah I forgot about those ones. Thanks for reminding me.
I couldn't deny that it's irritating and inconsistent though, mostly because the readers aren't that fluent with japanese.
Maybe If I haven't read the first chapters as "Shounen" and instead as "Kiddo" I might've favored this one. It's just a little weird having to transition into another nickname (like that one name in that muscular knight manga).
I guess in the end it's a matter of preference.

Fed-Kun's army
Squiggles/Shinsengumi's TLs may as well be Duwang. While this TL has its own quirks (you CAN (and should) translate "onee-san" to "miss", "ma'am", or "lady", depending on the context), it at least reads far less awkward.

Rather have these guys, even if they're not 100% on making things sound buttery smooth. Beats the crap out of... whatever it is the other group is doing.

Users who are viewing this thread