Shuu ni Ichido Classmate wo Kau Hanashi - Ch. 1 - It Turns Out Sendai-San’s Value Doesn’t Exceed 5,000 Yen

Power Uploader
(Also, please, mr. translator, could you change Hadzuki into Hazuki, every translation I've seen uses it so this was a bit jarring for me, but granted idk japanese so maybe your take is more accurate? It's just that I've seen Hazuki multiple times in anime and manga and it rolls of the tongue better, so I got used to it, I've looked into some character databases and there are ton of Hazuki's, but almost no Hadzuki's)
I didn't read the novel, so I went with the reading of 仙台葉月 given in the chapter.

The furigana next to her first name is explicitly づ (dzu) and not ず (zu).

I have no qualms about changing it if people are more used to it, but ultimately, I think it should have been Hadzuki, as the author intended and not what google translate says.

Supporter
Since you have read the source material, can you answer a question I have?

Are these 2 only going to have a “relationship” with each other or does it take the annoying route of having one or both of them get together with a different random person?
. . . I imagine I'm not the only person in this thread who can answer that . . .

No random person, it's just them. In fact, at times you may wish a random person would come along, but no, this is about 97% them and no one else.

Dex-chan lover
Since you have read the source material, can you answer a question I have?

Are these 2 only going to have a “relationship” with each other or does it take the annoying route of having one or both of them get together with a different random person?
... :meguusmug:

there's zero, null, nada, N/A, of that. The story is actualy laser focused on only these two for the longest time. To the point that it was hype to me when the side characters, which there are very few, started getting more lines much much later in the story. Also the way these two think about others is pretty interesting in the WN, though I guess the short version (oversimplification) of it is that they both get really jealous and possesive to great lenghts, though they never do anything crazy in public.

Dex-chan lover
I didn't read the novel, so I went with the reading of 仙台葉月 given in the chapter.

I have no qualms about changing it if people are more used to it, but ultimately, I think it should have been Hadzuki, as the author intended and not what google translate says.
Thanks for replying.

I thought that was the case. I've written just because it was my preference, but you are right that what is official should precede that, the problem is that there are no official english translations around. But as you might know, the thing with japanese and different pronounciations and readings can be quite tricky. So then I got it, audio dramas, the voice actresses for these two are actualy already selected (Suletta and Miorine from G-Witch btw) and there are some previews on youtube. Sendai and Miyagi are not really about their first names :huh: but luckily there was one short snippet when they said it. It should be "Hazuki" if my ears don't betray me. Whenever in doubt I really prefer what the spoken japanese says, since it won't be that jarring for readers, when we eventually get the anime (I swear Im not coping, 3 year wait max!!!)

Dex-chan lover
Did you use the MTL as the source for earlier chapters too or are they from the proper translation?
I used the translation available at the time of the upload.
I was actually planning of changing them in bulk when AMAWASHI GROUP reached a good amount of chapters, but they have stopped translating for months now.
I may change the first 51 chapters soon, to test an improved tts voice synthetized from my own voice as well. But there isn't much I can do for the rest. However the listeners seemed to enjoy the translation anyway.

Dex-chan lover
Did you use the MTL as the source for earlier chapters too or are they from the proper translation?
They are using the MTL from KaiseV, the proper translation from Amawashi group for the later chapters they cover in the first batch relased after this audiobook, and they stopped translating the later chapters for a while now.
(edit, too slow huh)

Honestly, I doubt we are gonna get better translation than MTL until official publisher picks up the LNs, which is gonna take ages, but hey, lately there has been great number of LNs getting turned into official english audiobooks, even yuri like I’m in Love with the Villainess, so that's something to look forward too.

Supporter

First of all, thank you Kirin. We are truly blessed that you picked up this one to translate and I'm glad I get to thank you instead of groveling in the discussion threads of other manga you translate, begging for you to pick Shuukura up.
And thanks for being receptive for the slight tweak to the translation of Sendai's name. It would have been an adjustment for me to see "Hadzuki" after the long time I've spent reading the WN TL that has it as "Hazuki".

I've seen several characters named "Hazuki" but can't recall any named "Hadzuki". I guess that's just a less common name?

It's so strange starting this over for a third time. First reading was with the Travis then Story Seedling MTL and then second time when Amawashi started their far better human TL.
Not that I mind it though. It's a pleasure to reread what is perhaps the best yuri out there.

I do find the high number of comments and hype about this interesting though. There are very few that comment on the WN chapters and few subscribers to the Shuukura subreddit. I've seen only a handful of posts on the yuri manga and yuri memes subreddits. And no talk of it on Dynasty unless I missed it.
I guess there's some other online yuri communities I'm not aware of? Whatever it is, I'm happy this is getting the attention it deserves.

Last edited:
Supporter
It's so strange starting this over for a third time. First reading was with the Travis then Story Seedling MTL and then second time when Amawashi started their far better human TL.
Not that I might it though. It's a pleasure to reread what is perhaps the best yuri out there.
**waves Nice to see you here too!

I've been wondering what a visual media adaptation would be like for ages, I'm honestly surprised I didn't have to wait longer. Surprised and very happy!
I do find the high number of comments and hype about this interesting though. There are very few that comment on the WN chapters and few subscribers to the Shuukura subreddit. I've seen only a handful of posts on the yuri manga and yuri memes subreddits. And no talk of it on Dynasty unless I missed it.
I guess there's some other online yuri communities I'm not aware of? Whatever it is, I'm happy this is getting the attention it deserves.
I'm also surprised at the hype. I guess I've gotten used to seeing popular stuff getting masses of comments, it's weird to think of lots of people reading something like ShuuKura and . . . just not commenting? Weird, and maybe a little creepy . . . what are they all thinking, particularly after all the crazy shit that **ahem certain people write in the comments . . .

Definitely looking forward to another ride on this roller coaster.

Dex-chan lover
ive had the novel on my plan to read for a long time now but i think ill start reading it after this. thanks for the translation!

Dex-chan lover
... :meguusmug:

there's zero, null, nada, N/A, of that. The story is actualy laser focused on only these two for the longest time. To the point that it was hype to me when the side characters, which there are very few, started getting more lines much much later in the story. Also the way these two think about others is pretty interesting in the WN, though I guess the short version (oversimplification) of it is that they both get really jealous and possesive to great lenghts, though they never do anything crazy in public.
Well as long as they dont get in a relationship with somebody else in this story, I am happy. Thanks for answering!

Supporter
**waves Nice to see you here too!
It's a different place than where we usually see each other but I'm glad you're here! We need someone to wrangle all these Shuukura newcomers and I know you're the perfect person for the job :p
I'm also surprised at the hype. I guess I've gotten used to seeing popular stuff getting masses of comments, it's weird to think of lots of people reading something like ShuuKura and . . . just not commenting? Weird, and maybe a little creepy . . . what are they all thinking, particularly after all the crazy shit that **ahem certain people write in the comments . . .

Definitely looking forward to another ride on this roller coaster.
Now that I think about it, I am still occasionally getting Wordpress comment reply notices from the Amawashi TL of Shuukura.Maybe we don't see many comments in Story Seedling because we're in the advance chapters. Most people probably look at that MTL and think "what kind of fool would pay for this stuff?".
Seems reasonable to think that way.
chuckles awkwardly

Dex-chan lover
They are using the MTL from KaiseV, the proper translation from Amawashi group for the later chapters they cover in the first batch relased after this audiobook, and they stopped translating the later chapters for a while now.
(edit, too slow huh)

Honestly, I doubt we are gonna get better translation than MTL until official publisher picks up the LNs, which is gonna take ages, but hey, lately there has been great number of LNs getting turned into official english audiobooks, even yuri like I’m in Love with the Villainess, so that's something to look forward too.
It's definitely popular enough to get an official translation.
The issue would be with how problematic it could be to share some of the themes involved with a wide audience.
As I said the video with the audiobook of just the first 50 ch. I posted on youtube was banned. Even when I changed the title.
Apparently, according to youtube's staff, they perceived it as an encouragement for slavery/prostitution of minors and the fetish/sadistic plays didn't help either xD
I'm sure some publisher could and would want to make an official English release work, but they will have no easy time with solving those issue and proposing it to the public. (Even Arioto by Mikami Teren still has no official English release)
I'll still stay positive and hope for it :-D

Last edited:
Contributor
Two things: first, as people keep insisting, as Kirin mentioned the furigana is what's added to kanjis to make sure the reader makes no mistake by reading them, so the correct romanji is the one Kirin's using, though there's no difference in pronunciation between dzu and zu (even though, checking the dictionary is enough to see it and anyone with a minimum of knowledge in Japanese knows what happens to certain consonants' kanjis when they go after the first one in a noun, so tsuki changes to dzuki). And last, I don't know what you find so innovative to go bonkers when this series and author did it better and has a lot of yuri to choose from (unless your feet fetish overwrites everything). So far, I see a run-of-the-mill series where the FMC could be male, if it turns more interesting in the future then great, I just gave it another chance because Kirin is doing it.

Supporter
Two things: first, as people keep insisting, as Kirin mentioned the furigana is what's added to kanjis to make sure the reader makes no mistake by reading them, so the correct romanji is the one Kirin's using, though there's no difference in pronunciation between dzu and zu (even though, checking the dictionary is enough to see it and anyone with a minimum of knowledge in Japanese knows what happens to certain consonants' kanjis when they go after the first one in a noun, so tsuki changes to dzuki). And last, I don't know what you find so innovative to go bonkers when this series and author did it better and has a lot of yuri to choose from (unless your feet fetish overwrites everything). So far, I see a run-of-the-mill series where the FMC could be male, if it turns more interesting in the future then great, I just gave it another chance because Kirin is doing it.
While there are some similarities between this and Arioto, there are far more differences. As I said in another post, Shuukura is about 97% these two, and almost all of that is actually in their heads rather than an external perspective (one of the reasons I'm not sure how well a visual medium will work) - that alone makes it a very different proposition from Arioto. But beyond that, the main characters development, the development of their relationship, and the whole approach to telling their story is just vastly different.

Arioto is a more polished piece of writing, though I definitely don't want to sell Shuukura short - there's clearly a significant difference between an established and experienced author putting out a professionally edited publication versus an unpublished author putting out a web novel. But despite that, I do think this is extremely well written, and the writing and storytelling style really complements the story being told - certainly as far as the constraints of the translations I've read allow me to say. If you can read the original your opinion may differ, of course . . .

All that said, I think if you enjoyed Arioto there's at least a better than evens chance you'll enjoy Shuukura. Probably not more than 60-70%, though, since they're so very different, but give it a go and see (though I definitely recommend starting with the Amawashi translation first, before trying to stomach the MTL version . . . )

Users who are viewing this thread