Soara to Mamono no Ie - Vol. 3 Ch. 15 - The Caith-Sith's Restaurant

Group Leader
the mushroom towers still don't make much sense to me. The reasons and overall chaos don't feel like they fit.
It's fantasy, so chaotic design is part of it.

If you've seen the Artist's arts, it's all about fantasy structures like these. I think this manga is about showcasing those things and I also remember the artist was selling a book about fantasy architectures before this manga was translated. I think he's obsessed about it atm when he made this manga.

Edit: Ah mb, i got him mixed up with this artist https://yoshidaseiji.fanbox.cc/posts/1141407

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
It's fantasy, so chaotic design is part of it.

If you've seen the Artist's arts, it's all about fantasy structures like these. I think this manga is about showcasing those things and I also remember the artist was selling a book about fantasy architectures before this manga was translated. I think he's obsessed about it atm when he made this manga.

Edit: Ah mb, i got him mixed up with this artist https://yoshidaseiji.fanbox.cc/posts/1141407
Yeah, and I've been commenting on nearly every chapter if the logic really makes sense to me or not. Some of them really work, other bits sound contradictory, skirt much simpler solutions, or basically imply that everyone is reliant on these dwarves long-term with planned obsolescence and dependence.

The other ones were clear enough, but this one just has me vaguely in doubt about the whole concept.

Dex-chan lover
Soara is still a treat in that maid outfit. And at the end of the day she got what the fluffiness she didn't know she really wanted.

Thanks for the translation (now if you'll excuse me I'll return to grinding for cait-siths in Octopath Traveler II. Great game btw).

Dex-chan lover
The other ones were clear enough, but this one just has me vaguely in doubt about the whole concept.
I've had cats for a long time, and currently have a couple of relatively young ones after a hard loss as my last prowled on ahead of us. Based on that I think the author did put some real thought into this. Cats love high places, and the little girl in particular continues to astonish me with how high she can jump, and directly onto thin branches, window sills and so on 4x her height. And for all the reputations of aloofness, both do sometimes go out of their way to bring little rodent presents to wherever I'm at. For creatures that, relatively speaking, are still pretty close to their wild counterparts to deliberate share food back feels like a bit of the cait-sith spirit here.

So between the two I think this concept actually did have some real logic to it in a creative twist, using two real life cat attributes in a creative combination that I don't think I've ever quite seen (though the Monster Hunter series does famously have the chefs, it doesn't combine the jumping).

Dex-chan lover
I've had cats for a long time, and currently have a couple of relatively young ones after a hard loss as my last prowled on ahead of us. Based on that I think the author did put some real thought into this. Cats love high places, and the little girl in particular continues to astonish me with how high she can jump, and directly onto thin branches, window sills and so on 4x her height. And for all the reputations of aloofness, both do sometimes go out of their way to bring little rodent presents to wherever I'm at. For creatures that, relatively speaking, are still pretty close to their wild counterparts to deliberate share food back feels like a bit of the cait-sith spirit here.

So between the two I think this concept actually did have some real logic to it in a creative twist, using two real life cat attributes in a creative combination that I don't think I've ever quite seen (though the Monster Hunter series does famously have the chefs, it doesn't combine the jumping).
I do think the jumping around is neat, but having the meals on TOP of the mushrooms is what gets me. They're strong enough to support the really huge monsters AND won't sway from all the jumping cats? You avoid any spores falling on the food, but food from higher mushrooms can still fall on lower ones. With the large monsters also getting tall mushrooms, that could actually be lethal.

And offloading all the confusing signs and stairs on the customers feels like putting the cart before the horse.

Dex-chan lover
I do think the jumping around is neat, but having the meals on TOP of the mushrooms is what gets me. They're strong enough to support the really huge monsters AND won't sway from all the jumping cats? You avoid any spores falling on the food, but food from higher mushrooms can still fall on lower ones. With the large monsters also getting tall mushrooms, that could actually be lethal.

And offloading all the confusing signs and stairs on the customers feels like putting the cart before the horse.
Giant mushroom houses, structures or at least as things that are surfaces are kind of a staple or mystic forest settings though. Lots of media, from comics/manga to games feature them both east and west. Was just replaying Okami not too long ago and the sprite village there had them. They're a natural "freestanding table" or "roof" structure looking thing while still alive that is unusual, probably the source. And spores aren't going to be an issue at all with many species while unripe. Just seems like a curious thing to pick vs the, you know, actual magic creatures.

Dex-chan lover
Just seems like a curious thing to pick vs the, you know, actual magic creatures.
The very premise of the manga is to build structures that suits the lifestyle and environment of the tenants, so playing the fantasy card doesn't even make sense. It's not like I'm telling them to build uniform concrete apartments everywhere, and the clay that I speculated was MORE fantastical than the actual bricks they used.

So...what now?

Users who are viewing this thread