Sokuochi Mayuri-chan - Vol. 1 Ch. 11

Contributor
@htt can you guys do a collab with the other scanlator of this chapter mmm...~?
That seems to be more productive mmm...

Dex-chan lover
This made me check the raw. Both translation sucks. Go learn JP and read the raw. This one a bit better tho because the other one completely discarded all the handwritten text and either mistranslated or "rewrite" a sentence that doesn't use standard JP font. High probability that the other guy use MTL then edited it.

Fed-Kun's army
@Kiriha the other translation sucks indeed, this is still acceptable compare to that. On another matter though, can you help me with the second dialogue on page 2? Did she suggest him turning it on the speaker as an option, and was "unusable" referring to the boy?

@MavB_Ver Yeah, she says "Be polite and put it on speaker! What a nuisance, this guy..."
At least that's how I'd translate it.
The literal meaning of 気を利かす is "to do the right/polite thing in a situation" and 使えない is "good for nothing; useless" but if you translate them word for word, without interpreting, you'll end up with a translation like the two we have.

htt

Group Leader
The nuance clearly didn't come through.

She's got a history of being misinterpreted by him
edit over-thought it to try and be witty, showcased my notsowittyness. r2 going up, thanks for critique

tl;dr learn jp and read the raws

Fed-Kun's army
@wotm8 thanks, but as for the first part, I want to ask about the 流すなりして. Does なり mean "or something" in this case, say, he didn't have to actually put it on the speaker as she told, she just want hime to stop using earphones.

Fed-Kun's army
x3.png

htt

Group Leader
@nahui3

done for fun, I was enabled
I've not picked it up, leaving it in the care of mrogz

does this count as a post-snipe? :think:

@MavB_Ver I'm not sure either. I think she's using the run of the mill なる (become). Literally "make it so it becomes broadcasted (on speaker)". なり can also be used to make an assertion but I'm not familiar with the exact usage.

Fed-Kun's army
@wotm8 I tried looking up the grammar but it seems (plain form +) なりして has severals use. Considering the context though, I think the most fitting is like I suspected (because if we translate it as "as soon as putting it on the speaker" will make no sense). I have also found some answer in jp saying it is similar to とか or たり.

htt

Group Leader
https://jn1et.com/nari/

don't overthink it like I tried to do
it has the meaning of と直ぐに here
"(you should) have the good sense to immediately put it on the speaker (instead of even using earphones to begin with)"

Fed-Kun's army
@htt Yeah, but like I said, the "immediately/as soon as" meaning of this makes no sense.

First thing first, the sentence structure is {V1 (dic form) なり, V2} with V2 is the immediate consequence of V1. But there is no V2 here: "using earphones" is not the consequence, and even if you argue that the order of the actions doesn't matter, the link you provided says otherwise.
山頂に着く/いた ×なり 向かいの山の頭から太陽が昇ってきた
Unless the V2 is intentionally omitted, then the meaning would be really vague and I think the possibility is low.

Secondly, the link also says that なり is not followed by volition forms.

There is also a mentioning of なり = とか in the usage, and I think it is the most fitting.

Edit: thanks for the link anyway, I learned a lot from that.

Users who are viewing this thread