Solo Leveling

Fed-Kun's army
You have to understand that when the novel was written, SL was still largely an internal Korean phenomenon. And for domestic consumption, if you need a baddie, you pick Japan. It's an obvious, easy choice. You don't need a setup. You don't need to develop a motivation for them . You don't even need a reason for them. It's like if you're a cowboy, you pick Indian as your enemy. If you are Allies, you pick the Axis. If you're the US during the Cold War, you pick Soviet Russia. Now, you'd pick ISIS or Al Qaeda or even Taliban. Now, most of those conflicts have been largely resolved between those participants but not so for Korea/Japan, China/Japan, and indeed the Rest of Asia/Japan. You can argue this for ages. Certainly, there are nationalistic and political reasons to keep this conflict going, but overshadowing those reasons, there is also the persistent and fresh refusal by the Japanese national government (the same continuation of a single nationalistic party that had dominated Japanese national politics for almost all of the past-WW2 period) to accept responsibility and to diffuse and minimize the conduct of Imperial Japanese Forces during the war, and the imperialistic period preceding the war. It's a shockingly brutal piece of history if you look into it, and if you want to criticize how Korea and the rest of Asia still about this period, you have to look into it. And it wasn't just Asia either. Australia and people, including civilians, from the colonizing power were brutalized, like Australian nurses captured on the beach while attempting to escape from Singapore, raped and brutalized, only to be forced into the waves waist deep and machined gunned down. Wholesale rape and murder by the Japanese were not only commonplace but they were well documented, not just by the victims but by Western journalists and diplomats (people with impeccable credentials) from countries that had no hostilities with Japan. Some were even allied with Japan at the time. Their shocked and disbelieving, even as they watched, accounts all survived. This kind of systematic, normalized atrocities simply didn't happen wars anymore. The only thing that came even remotely close was the final moments of the Eastern front between the Soviets and Germany, but that was a result of a long brutal campaign where one brutality triggered another in response and they built on top of each other. The Japanese atrocities were almost immediate and unceasing. If any of this is news to you, you probably are not qualified to judge the Korean and other Asian countries "nationalistic beef" with Japan. I mean, how would you feel if the government leaders in Germany led an annual procession to a national memorial interning the bodies of Hitler and Goering and the like? What if Pakistan, Afghanistan or Saudi Arabian government annually celebrated Osama bin Laden Day? But that's what Japan does with the Yasukuni Shrine each year. And what if Germany systematically reduced, ignored and whitewashed their well documented war crimes in WW2 in their mandatory school books? That is also what Japan does.

Still, people make business decisions these days and Korea and the rest of Asia trades with Japan. The manhwa reaches more people and wider market than the LN and along the way, business decisions have been made. That's actually the aberration in this, not the original content. But I assure you the feelings still fester. And like I said, if any of this was news to you, it if you're not aware of the extent of Japanese atrocities and the subsequent whitewashing, you should educate yourself before forming an opinion as to whether that is appropriate still or not.

@KittenLasers

Sry for necroing old post, but your line of thinking follows almost identically mine :D I try super hard to not think about plot holes and inconsistencies overall and treat this as a piece of not-so-serious-entertainment, but it's hard to resist an urge to scream out "whyyy" :D

Imagine if Garth Ennis wrote this :D

Is there a reason most of the English chapters aren't showing up anymore? All the recent-ish ones are available, but before around chapter 76 the English translations disappear.

@cbDrift
You're right; I mis-remembered how that all went down. I don't see them needing to change anything other than omitting related parts which doesn't amount to much actual story.
Japanese guild leader(I think that's the title) admitting fault and such and even if they want to keep it, they just say he's taking responsibility for poor planning

@FranFran
I read that one too (actually, i read most of the isekai even though I gripe about it...). I'll admit, that one is one of the only exceptions and there would be a lot more if authors put effort into their stories. There are a few that actually start out real strong with decent backstory, world building, character building and even art, but after a few chapters they fall prey to lazy tropes and cookie cutter plots. How many times are we going to reinvent reversi? How many times are we going to join a guild and become an adventurer? How many times are we going to buy a slave girl who will loves us for buying her (how is this even a fucking thing?)? Etc. Etc. Etc.

I swear, half the reason Fire Punch/Chainsaw Man author is so popular is not because the stories are so great, but because for once, all expectations are constantly subverted in amazing fashion while still working. Isekais... they're just not capable of that and never leave their comfort zone.

@screwKissmanga
The original groups that scanlated those chapters had them removed. You can find them on their group site or another aggregator.

PoH

I keep seeing this in the front page and was a bit iffy because it's a Manhwa...It's okay...The first few chapter was pretty good, a lot of emotional scene, unique dungeon mechanics...but after that everything turns into your typical troopes. The MC get a cheat abilities, become super OP and defy all odds(you know, that juicy juicy Plot Armor).

It's pretty good if you're not used to OP MC(just like how I think SAO was pretty good)

So the before chapters are being re-translated then re-scanned? Asking because I was debating about re-reading from the start but there is nothing there presently.

@Harem_Sovereign
What is a good thing? Said a few different things so I am not sure which it is that you refer.

@fallen6813
Somewhere in the comments below, someone mentions that they are redoing the scans, but not all of them for now and possibly complete in the future (?). If you want to read them, you can find the scanlators off BakaUpdates or used an aggregator. Personally, I would use aggregator if the scan group refuses to use MD.

Power Uploader
We are planning to scan all the chapters 1 > current. we've got til ch64 tl'd, but we are awaiting PR.

Oh well, greedy losers pulling chapters out as usual. Russian it is then. Reading in English would've been better to get used to the language more though.

Group Leader
sorry bro I just had to do it
KqDLOTA.png

After catching up to chapter 98, I finally realized that the author is a Koreanazi, and I just found out that this has a novel as a source. Can someone tell me if this gets any more nationalistic in future? Every bloody Korean thing I've read turns into a nationalistic shitshow, I hope this one isn't way too deep into that shit later on.

Well here is my understanding and also a rant. It's in a spoiler tag because it has something like a spoiler but I just didn't want to risk it
this is going as close to the novel as it can but I do see differences. Also the novel is fully translated. Not only that but to the guy who asked if he is all about Korea yeah he is from my understanding it get rushed later and shows quite clearly that after a bit of involving other country's they just act like fuck this and changes the story/rush it. It's a good one has loads of potentual but it get ruined by the way the author writes it later on. I have seen so much of authors losing people due to selflessly pushing there views onto people that it's just getting sad now

Double-page supporter
@Lord_Hentai
After catching up to chapter 98, I finally realized that the author is a Koreanazi, and I just found out that this has a novel as a source. Can someone tell me if this gets any more nationalistic in future? Every bloody Korean thing I've read turns into a nationalistic shitshow, I hope this one isn't way too deep into that shit later on.
To answer your question, Yes. It will be a reoccurring theme. It won’t be full blown racism but the author’s nationalistic bias will not be subtle when the opportunity presents itself.

For future reference most if not all Korean web novels and Chinese web novels based in the modern day/setting like this story have heavy nationalistic tendencies. Some go as far as having full blown unadulterated racism while others are simply moments being portrayed where other countries/people are shown as incompetent while the Chinese or Koreans(depending on who the author is)are portrayed as the smartest in the room, which is pretty much what the author for Solo leveling does.

I personally tend to avoid most stories based in the modern day/setting for these reasons since it ruins the immersion when the author feels the need to spout heavy nationalistic bias. JP novels have them too but it’s a lot more mild ie promoting Japanese food/culture like rice and baths. I have never encountered a JP novel that go as far as to talk down other nations/peoples in order to promote Japan, Japanese culture/people.

However, Korean and Chinese novels really go further and beyond where they have no qualms saying that they are a superior race/country and all others are beneath them. If I were you I would avoid Korean and Chinese stories based in a modern setting as they are plagued with stuff like that.

@firefox1234 GATE was pretty jingoistic. Tho looking back I think the author had a psychic revelation regarding the competency of the American president lel.

Double-page supporter
@Tacred
Very trueabout GATE. It was probs the most obvious pro Japan anime I have ever watched but the US president portrayal was scary realistic😆

Users who are viewing this thread