Solte the Traveler - Vol. 4 Ch. 14 - Lizard Land: Part 2

Dex-chan lover
usually we fight the kobolds/saurians but this time they appear pretty chill.

Group Leader
Felt the TL was mostly fine from my memory of the chapter, though I'm not sure about translating 魔神様 as "genie" - I don't know if you chose that interpretation because Seli-seli's mention of it "watching over" Firo sounds almost benevolent, but it doesn't have to be, and I think it's clear that the God of War is much more of a malevolent deity than something like the word genie would imply.
On the other hand, (this is purely speculation) the 魔 in 魔神様 could alternatively be meant to as a reference to magic (purely in-world, not in standard Japanese), so I'm not sure what the best alternative would be.

Dex-chan lover
Man, I wonder how low will Napta go in his demented state.

Group Leader
Felt the TL was mostly fine from my memory of the chapter, though I'm not sure about translating 魔神様 as "genie" - I don't know if you chose that interpretation because Seli-seli's mention of it "watching over" Firo sounds almost benevolent, but it doesn't have to be, and I think it's clear that the God of War is much more of a malevolent deity than something like the word genie would imply.
On the other hand, (this is purely speculation) the 魔 in 魔神様 could alternatively be meant to as a reference to magic (purely in-world, not in standard Japanese), so I'm not sure what the best alternative would be.
Thanks for your input. This is one of those ones that I mulled over for a bit as well.

You're right that a Genie sounds 'benevolent' for watching over Firo but Seriselli says as much that she doesn't know what kind of 魔神様 it could be. I feel the implication is that good and malevolent ones can exist (I guess a 'evil' Genie would be something closer to a Djinn or something like that). I do absolutely agree that the God of War is not a helpful entity!

We'll have to see how it shakes out in future chapters.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Thanks for reviving this series. Had to start from the beginning but that was an enjoyable reread.

Dex-chan lover
No obvious problems with the work but I did notice the way you handled the rise sound effect. If you can't think of the equivalent onomatopoeia just putting in the action itself works too(in this case: rise) so long as it conveys what the author wants the reader to know.

Supporter
Disney bullshit aside a Jinn/Genie is just a spirit.

Group Leader
Maybe it's Demon God-sama or Demon-sama perhap? Mizukami used 魔神 before in The end of Ginga Thunder which I speculated to be in the same world as Solte
1720153584344.jpeg1720153746978.png

Users who are viewing this thread