Sora wo Matotte - Ch. 9 - Fragile Ace in the Hole

Double-page supporter
I've only just discovered this series and my gosh what a treat it is. I've been absolutely floored by the art in it and truly can't wait for more. Thank you for all the work you've put into the series so far!

Dex-chan lover
I assume it's a question of focus? In the painting he drew the focus is not on the glove, it just happens to be a nude woman wearing a baseball glove.
I imagined "a woman lays down on a giant baseball glove"

1P8u4el.png

(tried to generate it using AI, minus the nude part)

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, that was pretty uninspired. I don't like too abstract art that much, but there ought to be a way to morph those two together better. Undeed's idea is like the most basic one, that's actually viable and not what we saw in the chapter, but I'm sure it could be taken steps further in myriad ways.

Dex-chan lover
Haro, you loveable, laser-focused idiot... 🤭

So hopefully this means Mayu is in this for the long haul. God, Haro... I swear to the gods, if you break this girl's heart after you worked so hard to piece back together...

Dex-chan lover
Oh man, this is going to be fun :D

Thank you very much for the scanlation, and wish you a good recovery Princess Daphie.

Dex-chan lover
lmao at the geezers feeling their blood flow again when they saw the nude drawing

Dex-chan lover
Aww, thanks for soldiering on, Daphie. Get well soon!

That gift was so nice, the perfect kind: useful and thoughtful.

I'm worried for Haro. I didn't notice the condition was so restrictive but that adds to the challenge for us. And as always, I'm impressed by how we can somehow tell when an assignment was nailed or there's something missing.

The problem here is that he drew a nude, with a glove that happens to be an accessory. He should have made the glove more in focus. Since he insisted to have a nude gal in this, he couldn't half-ass it like that and should have set a bigger scene to justify it. Like I dunno, cloth-malfunction on the pitch after a fall! There's thousands of ecchis to draw inspiration from — gravity always finds a way to bring us fanservice.

That study group of elderly is lovely and I like Haro even more as he noticed how rare that ambiance is and appreciated it. You'd think someone obsessed with youthful and feminine beauty wouldn't care one bit but he's not that simple.

My first thought seeing his dumb face presenting his works was 'Man's too horny to be contained', but he's more than that, his passion for the form is pure.

Aggregator gang
Finally got to reading this after being waylaid by other matters. Many Thanks @princess_daphie for your work on the chapter. Hope you get better quickly.
I do think the end of this chapter is a much needed development for Haro. He needed to understand that in order to refine his overall artistic craft, he has to be able to visualize and render the "beauty" of everyday/other objects, not just the nude female human form. It is going to be interesting to see how Haro figures this out.

It's hilarious that Ichi-sensei, the elderly owner of Garan-dou, allowed Haro into his class because he thought Mayu was his girlfriend, when that's not the case. The brand of paintbrush Mayu gifted Haro is an actual French company brand that is 230 years old. Even though the perspective is skewed, it looks like this is the model of brush that Haro was gifted.

Seems to me that Haro, in his confusion on the variety of prompts for the 2nd University Entrance Exam, overlooked the one he could very much do - the prompt in the upper right on the 2nd panel of this page. Unless if he were to ask to clarify otherwise, the prompt doesn't specify that the person in the room has to be clothed: Haro can flex his nude female preference all he wants with this prompt.

It is pretty funny the difference in atmospheres in the two art schools, mainly having to do with the student body populations. Whereas Iyobi was a typical Japanese Cram School, but Art School flavor, with it's older-teenage to young adult population, Garan-dou is pretty much a Retirement Home with it's all elderly student body.

Rei Kamio looks really great here on page 13, which happens to be Haro's 1st-person POV memory of her from this 2-page spread from Chapter 5.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread