Soredemo Ayumu wa Yosetekuru - Vol. 14 Ch. 186 - The 186th Move

Supporter
As fun as this manga is, basing starting a relationship on something like beating her in a game (or anything like that) seems... Disingenuous? What if he can never beat her? Is that all his feelings amount to, if he never actually acts upon them?

It also feels disingenuous to get better at the game (or anything) just to confess to someone. He's not even aiming to be the best at it, just to beat her. I get playing it, but working hard and bettering yourself at it just for your confession to take place? Feels disrespectful to her and the game she genuinely loves playing. What happens after the confession, he just gonna drop the game or at least stop working on getting better at it?

Maybe I'm just lacking perspective here, I never did take up anything for someone other than myself, only because I was interested in it.

This could all be solved if she does the first move, and I hope that happens just to undermine his efforts, that'd be great. I feel like something like that already happened, probably gonna have to reread this manga, it's been a while.

Dex-chan lover
A lance might seem like an odd piece to have a handicap on. It’s not as versatile as the rook and is constantly blocked by a pawn. But once promoted, it has the same characteristics as the Gold General. Always good to swarm your opponent with them.

Group Leader
As fun as this manga is, basing starting a relationship on something like beating her in a game (or anything like that) seems... Disingenuous? What if he can never beat her? Is that all his feelings amount to, if he never actually acts upon them?

It also feels disingenuous to get better at the game (or anything) just to confess to someone. He's not even aiming to be the best at it, just to beat her. I get playing it, but working hard and bettering yourself at it just for your confession to take place? Feels disrespectful to her and the game she genuinely loves playing. What happens after the confession, he just gonna drop the game or at least stop working on getting better at it?

Maybe I'm just lacking perspective here, I never did take up anything for someone other than myself, only because I was interested in it.

This could all be solved if she does the first move, and I hope that happens just to undermine his efforts, that'd be great. I feel like something like that already happened, probably gonna have to reread this manga, it's been a while.
Bro you don't inject logic to an manga/anime series, it will deminish your enjoyment

Dex-chan lover
[...]
Generally why I'm not prone to following these kinds of narratives in japanese media.
I started it because it was by the same author of Takagi-san, but after reading 'SukiMegane' (which has the same kind of narrative tools, by the way) which is so genuine in their relationship representations and writing teens, one sort of... I dunno. Ignores it?

It seems less enjoyable afterwards, I think is what I'm trying to say.

Dex-chan lover
Generally why I'm not prone to following these kinds of narratives in japanese media.
I started it because it was by the same author of Takagi-san, but after reading 'SukiMegane' (which has the same kind of narrative tools, by the way) which is so genuine in their relationship representations and writing teens, one sort of... I dunno. Ignores it?

It seems less enjoyable afterwards, I think is what I'm trying to say.
How is playing a board game related to losing your glasses?

Please don't take this as an insult, I am just confused as to what you mean.

Dex-chan lover
How is playing a board game related to losing your glasses?

Please don't take this as an insult, I am just confused as to what you mean.
The theme is irrelevant, actually.
It's the same trope of boy meets girl, and then boy confess to girl (before she does?).

However, one of those has the character struggle to come to terms with himself, and that's why he can't find a reason to confess his affection for the girl; the other story, meanwhile, has the boy decide that he's not strong enough in the hobby the girl loves. When he finally beats her, he can finally confess that he loves her.

I tend to prefer Koume's take on storytelling, even though I understand Yamamoto's is comedy (sort of) first.

Dex-chan lover
The theme is irrelevant, actually.
It's the same trope of boy meets girl, and then boy confess to girl (before she does?).

However, one of those has the character struggle to come to terms with himself, and that's why he can't find a reason to confess his affection for the girl; the other story, meanwhile, has the boy decide that he's not strong enough in the hobby the girl loves. When he finally beats her, he can finally confess that he loves her.

I tend to prefer Koume's take on storytelling, even though I understand Yamamoto's is comedy (sort of) first.
Ah I get it now, yeah you do make a good point.

2 different versions of self-imposed romantic roadblocks.

Though it's sort of odd that you mention SukiMegane for this example...

You have seen the latest chaps right...?

If not I won't spoil it, just go watch it and you won't regret it. 😉

Dex-chan lover

Him starting a new hobby and setting that at his target in order to confess is strange and not that great. The thing is, we don't actually no for certain what made him develop a crush or really all that much about Ayumu's time before this (aside from just Ayumu having previously done kendo).

A scenario that would feel way more genuine to me; suppose he had interest in the game, even if he didn't know much about the game and simply found the mind games interesting, and he also was interested in her. In the process of looking more into shogi he realizes that she plays and is really passionate about the game. I'm really hoping something like this comes as an explanation later on, but if not it will stay as my head canon.

This is coming from someone who had picked up a new hobby and coincidentally run into someone who I had just known as "a funny friend-of-a-friend". We became friends and eventually both knew that we had feelings for each other but just left it at that for a while because best friends vs partners didn't make much of a difference. We both had goals that we were trying to achieve in that hobby (it wasn't in competition with each other) and only actually started dating after we had each accomplished those goals and were leaving that hobby behind.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Dudes gonna throw away all his time in high school due to his pride. Could have dated her all this time, but it'll have to wait until graduation and then she's gone.

Dex-chan lover
Ah I get it now, yeah you do make a good point.

2 different versions of self-imposed romantic roadblocks.

Though it's sort of odd that you mention SukiMegane for this example...

You have seen the latest chaps right...?

If not I won't spoil it, just go watch it and you won't regret it. 😉
O.O
There's a new chapte—

user has left the chat

Users who are viewing this thread