Sousou no Frieren - Ch. 131 - Escape

Dex-chan lover
It is legit amazing they had the conversation there between Ubel and Kanone that basically she can't let them go because she'll get in trouble, so she needs a legit reason to report... so Ubel gives her one... just chef's kiss on that. Every working person feeling that, "I don't really care, but it's like my job to care" vibe. Just. Perfect.

Dex-chan lover
Whatever opinion you have about cops, no police organization in the world would lose captured high profile targets like that. If the state really wants you, you are not going to run away after getting caught.
Why couldn't they? There are plenty of ways for high-profile targets to get out. Magical powers aside, there exist things like Bail for the rich kids, legal loopholes, bribery, corrupt prison guards, or basic operational failure/gaps in security.

I think that the image of hyper-competent and upright detectives is an invention for television, and in reality, the bar for becoming law enforcement is pretty low. They hire a lot of thugs, and they hire some hard-working motivated people. But whichever type, they're just people and all people make mistakes. Here's the wiki page on prison breaks.

Double-page supporter
Why couldn't they? There are plenty of ways for high-profile targets to get out. Magical powers aside, there exist things like Bail for the rich kids, legal loopholes, bribery, corrupt prison guards, or basic operational failure/gaps in security.
None of these apply. Ubel and Land are not connected to powerful people in the Empire, they are their enemies. There was to trial for legal loopholes to be used, no guard was bribed and there weren't any gaps in the security because there was no security at all, therefore they couldn't.

I think that the image of hyper-competent and upright detectives is an invention for television, and in reality, the bar for becoming law enforcement is pretty low. They hire a lot of thugs, and they hire some hard-working motivated people. But whichever type, they're just people and all people make mistakes. Here's the wiki page on prison breaks.
1 ) These are elite forces from a long existing and prestigious organization, not "upright detectives", thugs or whatever.

2 ) This cannot be blamed on a personal mistake. Any half decent organization, be it governmental or private has something called operational procedures exactly because people make mistakes, this is why procedures are created and personnel undergoes training. If you work anywhere with risks, unless you are from a very undeveloped country, you will see it first hand.

Not separating and keeping watch over them is not a mistake, "oh, I forgot about that", is complete retardation. Not taking them to a staffed facility shows that these people have no idea about what they are doing, they are not even thinking. Mages of this level are usually at least a bit smart, this is a very simple mistake.

About prison breaks in our world, it is not completely comparable for three main reasons.

1 ) These are extremely high profile targets who have just been captured by elite police forces. Go sniff on government affairs inside any power nation, be a modern one or even from over 3000 years ago. If you get caught they are not going to leave you like that and talk to a companion as if you were just a thief who stole a apple.

If you are a know terrorist or a spy from an enemy nation, then you attend a place full of elites of your target nation, get caught and escape easily like that, I'll send you a hand written letter deeply apologizing and also publicly apologize. I never heard about someone escaping from SWAT, FBI custody like that. Or any comparable group/agency/force from around the world, pick whatever you like. Note that custody does not mean prison.

2 ) Mages, even more first class mages, are essentially walking weapons. If you caught a terrorist group, would you let them keep all their weapons when you jail them? The mana blocking thing is not enough of an excuse, because even as readers we know that magic makes so many things possible, something that those elite mages should know better then us. By leaving them be, they are undertaking a huge risk since these are not random shit tier mages and you can't be sure that they don't have more allies around.

Even I know how dangerous these people can be, which is why I would do what I suggested on my first post.

3 ) It is not easy to escape from a high security prison, you know, where they send the most dangerous criminals to, like first class mages subordinated to someone you want to kill. All those escapes by relevant criminals took a lot of planning and preparation, it works because the people who administrate the prison do not expect it and usually some guards are also on it, turning a blind eye to obvious signals. You would expect first classe mages to be capable of something, it is completely reasonable.

Seriously, if that is their standard, organisations from our world could likely take out the empire without any magic or super giga warriors even with 1940's technology or less. And I can guarantee you that if they were caught in our world, they would be treated much, MUCH, MUCH worse, even more because they are a prime source of information. I can describe you what would happen, but since I don't know how old you are, I will avoid it.

And I don't watch movies and outside of anime I don't watch TV shows, so my knowledge does not come from fiction.

Like I said, so far the author has been doing a good job setting things up, making these events even more staggering. If it turns out that the people who caught Land and Ubel are actually traitors and they get found out or at the very least investigated for this utterly shameful conduct, it would justify this mess.

Dex-chan lover
my brain always make me remember this guy when i'm reading 1 page of monologues

6MMZpVV.png

Dex-chan lover
Endless side arcs tend to be trying, even title-dropping. But I find myself appreciating the quality of the writing and dialogue enough here that I'll make an exception...

I already forgot, why are we following this characters again and not the titular character?
fuck you ubel and land is more interesting than freiren that sleeper.

reminds me of that generic boring gon from hunter x hunter,
kurapika's parts are always better than gons.

plus im liking this series more the more non linear stuff that gets introduced

ok thats settled, the author clearly read peter watt's blindsight,
im pretty sure its implying ubel is a jargonaut, or a synthesis like the protagonists of watt's fire fall series.

I'm so happy that the manga's finally back. I'll never get tired of magic being equal parts academic and dumbfuck bs
well here it does seem like the author is referencing blindsight by peter watts, with the whole sub conciouse thing, like how ubel can do thinks she herself doesn't understand and does it subconsciously, same with the demons/vampires

Dex-chan lover
Am I alone in saying I'm already tired of the super glowing spy ops government conspiracies arc? It just makes me want Frieren to just lay waste to this kingdom after the all good she did for everyone.
She can do that, but give it a few years after she does that, itll pop up in a different form. Thats just the way humanity is

Users who are viewing this thread