Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 2 Ch. 13 - Liberation Festival

Fed-Kun's army
@Succubewbs

it may not tickle your fancy, but i find it to be fresh in a largely stagnant genre. whereas most stories in the genre try to draw in readers by impressing them with power levels, clever tricks, and gratuitous violence or sexuality, this story focuses on the appreciation of life and friendship. no, not Friendship™ that is used to finish off the final boss; it's the seemingly little things that people do because they love each other and that change each other in enduring and sometimes dramatic ways. particularly though, the aspect of grief makes the sentiments strike harder emotionally since it's something most of us have felt and can sympathize with. rather than have the reader turn outward and discuss with others how amazing it was to beat the monster of the week, this story turns the reader inward to reflect on how frieren and her companions parallel their own experiences. that kind of interaction with readers makes it more than a just an interesting story, it is also therapy

le3

Dex-chan lover
Lmao Fern have no chill as usual 🤣

And dang, Himmel make sure their adventure is well remembered. Well seeing how Old Himmel become I agree he want his statue as handsome as possible 😅

Wholesome. And I mean a whoooooole lot of some!
That came out wrong, did it not?

Dex-chan lover
Wait, did Stark seriously embark on a journey with a group of recently-met-basically-strangers NOT knowing the destination?! And he only now asks? I mother freaking love this kid! He just brings a smile to my face 😁

Fed-Kun's army
@Arkos I think the translator just worded it awkwardly and she is just saying elves have less of an reproductive instinct.

Aggregator gang
Damn these ninja cutting onions, they really like to attack while I read this series 😭

Contributor
@yumchan - I expect that we'll see the hero as he was when they go to Aureole where souls rest. I am curious if she will display any emotion at that time.

Dex-chan lover
tfw you will never breed frieren to save her dying race

@TNT261
his master told them to take him. He's not going to say no to that. And it's not like there's anything else he's doing with his life

Every chapter is so beautifully told, yet heartbreaking at the same time. Since the beginning, I’ve felt like Himmel truly loved Frieren. And despite her seeming nonchalance about the rest of her companions, he knew that someday she would regret losing the connections she took for granted.

And that’s the story we’re watching play out. It started with her breaking out in tears at Himmel’s funeral. And now Frieren is returning to all the places that they traveled together, and she remembers all the little ways that her companions changed her over the relatively brief period they adventured.

Also, I feel like Fern will be Frieren’s mirror: a reflection of the path she didn’t take. Because, yes... even though they’re like oil and water now, I feel like Fern and Stark will eventually be a thing. (Or maybe I just hope so.)

Contributor
Incredible series. Life's transiency and dealing with the aftermath of the departed, pretty heavy stuff.

Oh come on! This series makes me cry every time that hero shows up. Just revive him already

Users who are viewing this thread