Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 3 Ch. 21 - Coward

I hope this doesn't get axed wtf, this is too good! Reminds me of saihate no paladin ^_^ for the rich story telling.

its just fair play. demons deceive humans by utilizing words conveying "emotions", frieren limits her magic output because demons are pride in their magic and would never dream of doing that. of course this is true for every mage, but demons are especially prone to that

Again, it's just so strange that this manga has been building up a focus of "the mentality of the past changes in time, you just need to open your heart to understand it" and then throws in this demon arc. It would make WAY more sense moral-wise to have the demons actually have some sense of humanity in them. Does the author want to just show off how strong Frieren is and pull out the "badass" card for all the characters?

@mage_goo His statement has special significance, since his magic allows him to control his blood, and he has shown great regenerative powers in the past. As such, his statement is basically: "This damage is enough that I've lost control of my magic and I am unable to regenerate this much, so I will die."

As such, we have two options, when dealing with his statement:
1) Take him at his word, because we see the massive damage to his torso, so obviously he is about to die. (This is the option that most in this chat, at least among those mentioning it, seem to have chosen.)

2) Remember that demons use words to deceive humans in order to increase their chances of survival, and wonder if this might be a lie of his, to try to trick her, based on human perceptions of what looks like unavoidable death. If he is still capable of surviving, then the best thing he can do is to talk to her in order to try to find out her weakness, as well as convincing her that he can't survive, in hopes that she leaves to help Frieren, even mentioning Frieren being in danger to possibly prompt her to rush over there. (This is the option that Fern seems to have chosen, based on the fact that she makes sure to deal the finishing blow, and leave no doubt about whether he can regenerate. As such, and because his wound here isn't that much worse than the wound from chapter 17, I find myself choosing this option as well.)

Edit: Didn't realize until now that I had mistyped the name so it didn't send a proper notification.

Double-page supporter
I really hope Frieren just goes super saiyan next chapter, release da magic :D

The weird thing about this series is that it shows how humans advance magic, and how Frieren realizes her feelings through interactions with others over time, only to spit in the face of that by making Flamme's ancient magic superior still and by having Demons as somehow also not advancing beyond what they achieve once.

Is it supposed to be that Demons are what Frieren would be had she not become a part of the Hero's Party? Idk, it's just very off in an otherwise great manga.

Aggregator gang
Once again comment section is dumb and full of idiot.

Myself included for not knowing any better.

Too many pepega peeps here
First of all Flamme is great magician who develop op magic that still mystery until now
Second is Frieren is her disciple
Use your brain before hating this chapter idiot
Those demons need some sense of humanity, LOL you read too many twist demon story idiot

@Bighomer I don't think it's that weird. Flamme is shown to be far superior to everybody back in her days, so she could have been centuries ahead of magical reaserach just for her to die without sharing what she had discovered. Things like that happen in the real world too, Aristarchus of Samos theorized the heliocentric model in 300 BC but his writings were lost or ignored for a long time. Same with the building techniques for Pyramids and other ancient buildings.
To be honest I think it's the author putting some big numbers as time periods without thinking too much about it, but it's not as absurd as, say, a city with 10.000.000 inhabitants in a medieval setting, or insanely big continents crossed by foot in a couple of weeks or other absurdities you find in the world building of other stories.

For the matter of the demon magic I guess that the humans are advancing faster, probably because they have more people and resources. Demon abandon their children so I don't think they could build a society, I imagine that they're more like a pack, lead by the demon king ruling at the time. It would make sense since they're very close to magic beast (they can't have evolved much since human/elves have recorded knowledge of the creatures they evolved from). We should also consider that, so far, all of the demons have shown different types of magic. It could be that their powers are part of their nature so they can train them but they're unable to learn new ones. This would probably make each of their discoveries useful only for a small subset of demons with similar types of magic. For example the discovery of the soul-magic-attack-thing by the sealed demon wouldn't be useful to the demons we see in this chapter since their powers are related to magic vision, blood control and necromancy.

Overall I think that this world is quiet consistent, though I can understand if someone says that this reasonings are a stretch.

@MartinoV In my opinion, the demons and elves have the same problem. Both races are long lived, but demons lack empathy. Hence their very nature look at time differently and learn slowly. However, according to Frieren, it was the humans who advanced magic incredibly by learning and innovating like their lives depended on it. Within 80 years, they perfected the "Soul Track" magic of an infamous demon general into a "Demon Track" magic, which is according to Fern, is considered simply as offensive magic, also learning how to defend against "Soul Track" magic with "Defensive Barriers" magic.

The demons hence do not realized that their magic and their ways are already obsolete. Being overtaken by short lived races due to their expediency to innovate to survive.

Users who are viewing this thread