Sousou no Frieren

Dex-chan lover
This was really way below my expectations seeing the rating here, but i guess it was rated lower in other places for a reason. Felt like a less impactful Fumetsu no Anata. If i compare the 1st few chaps they both touch completely the same topics, but Anata had more relateable and explored characters and it actually made sense for Fushi to be who he is.

I usually love character driven storys, but this one really forces it with the different perception of time for frieren only and having absolutely no other elves in the story, because it wouldnt make much sense otherwise. Not having experienced someone close to you dieing in like what 300+ years is really stretching it, especially considering they were having wars.

Dungeon Meshi also has an elf and its also a problem for her, but the problem flows alot more natural into the story and is only a side issue. This manga also didnt lay out a strong foundation for emotional callbacks like saihate no paladin did, but keeps flashbacking every single chapter.

My 2nd biggest gripe was the boring emotionless expressions and dialogue we had for half the chapters thanks to Frieren, Fran and the german named demons.

Is an ok read i guess. For me it was a major letdown tho, because i came here due to the rank 1 rating expecting a complex or interesting story, because its a fantasy adventure and til now there has been absolutely nothing kinda.

I enjoy the sedate, muted emotions in here. This kind of story should've made you cried out loud, but i don't want to feel that sad. And this story is perfect.

Fed-Kun's army
Oh for fuck's sake, the MyAnimeList reviewers are here. Now if you're new and debating on whether to read this or not, just read it. You'll enjoy it. If you spend a SECOND worrying about what these fucking idiots' opinions say, your brain cells will disappear at an astronomical rate. Take things at face value, yknow, this is for enjoyment. Don't have to tear it apart and inspect every fibre.

Dex-chan lover
@Rand564 unless Frieren with her longevity is tied to the characters living on the normal human timescale, the difference between them becomes irrelevant. The fact that a few decades flew past for her like a week would for a human was only meaningful in the first chapters because she had human (and dwarf) companions who lived their lives normally at the same time.

So introducing the rest of the party is actually a necessary move to show Frieren's character changing and to put her abilities in context.

@Rand564 who would enjoy a story with all chapters full of time skip? it's only useful for introducing us of our MC background and feelings. if they keep doing that for the rest of the story it will become bland story instead. it'll like reading a report if they keep doing that in all chapter.
don't you think it is more beautiful this way, a story about an elf that will finally find a meaning of her life in her thousands years of longevity, even tho she has lost her beloved companion without comprehending her true feelings but will finally realized it in her journey little by little? it's a shame to skip this beautiful story just for time skip.

@allyeeee It's nice to have opinions on mangas that are laid out well, instead of constant circlejerk to see what other people think. I enjoy this series, but by god it's so overblown on this site. I liked it for the emotional start, but it's really nothing special on the art, battle or story front let's not fool ourselves here. It's a nice guily pleasure for emotions with power fantasy, but if you expect more then you wont find it.

@Mixander Fumetsu no Anata e does that and is a really great read and won Awards. Sousou no Frieren feels like a copy of that to me just with a female elf lead and less dark themes. Rand probably hoped for something similiar to that series i assume.

This is overhyped, i get no emotions or thrill from reading the chapters. Its a no from me.

@wickerbottom yeah the issue is that even thought im not reading it for the adventure and more for the emotions im not getting neither. If i had to compare it i would say that fumetsu no anata e or saihate no paladin have a more intereseting and emotional story. The end.

@Agavadon yeah, I'd say it's not dark, but there's some deep sorrow and serenity in the back of Frieren's eyes.

The perspective of time is incredible.

@Pablosxky i always feel disturbing vibe from fumatsu no anata e.... even the sad moments feel scary.... besides, this manga is meant to be slow and kinda laidback from the start, it’s not plot heavy like those 2 manga you mentioned. what this manga strong points are the sense of nostalgia, time and a bit of regret..... why would you look for thrill in a manga like this? Lol

Users who are viewing this thread