SPY×FAMILY - Ch. 99

Dex-chan lover
This is up there with Fullmetal Alchemist in capturing the emotional toll of war, and the ugly nature of it which is so often couched in language of honor, valor, and glory. War just makes a mess of people. Too often literally, but psychologically as well.

Riza Hawkeye is still one of my favorite soldier characters - because of the horror she endured, and how she learned to move forward. I get similar vibes from Martha, which is a very good thing.

Dex-chan lover
In the context of the grand story, it is actually quite smart to use these two backstories to break down the war as it occured and how Desmond really thinks as he is the main objective in the story. The author did a great job of weaving that into a love story between these two. ELEGANT LOVE NEEDS TO SURVIVE.

MD@Home
I appreciate the series' anti-war message, but sometimes less is more. Wallowing this long in melodrama, especially about seemingly random secondary characters is not doing the manga any favors. I think I'll come back when this arc is over, so I can read it all in one sitting.

Fed-Kun's army
I appreciate the series' anti-war message, but sometimes less is more. Wallowing this long in melodrama, especially about seemingly random secondary characters is not doing the manga any favors. I think I'll come back when this arc is over, so I can read it all in one sitting.
This arc is the most I've enjoyed Spy Family in a long while.

Dex-chan lover
I'm wondering about the timing of this melancholic tale. Is it to build up the stakes for the cold war? Are we about to enter a huge arc after this?

Users who are viewing this thread