SSS-Class Suicide Hunter - Vol. 1 Ch. 23

@Ellipsism i'm guessing it's because it's much easier to be running around in the tower using sneakers. not sure why he's wearing a full suit though, maybe that's his fashion statement? being classy and casual at the same time

I feel like the Mc is pushing his luck with how he asked for that apology haha

@s3yang

That wouldn't have worked, if gramps had said "Why does my kill counter show you as killing 4000" the MC would have just replied with "I attempted to kill myself 4000 times", and covered it up with "i am unable to die" in order to hide his time traveler ability.
Because gramps is a selfish asshole he will not reveal his own skill. Asking "Have you killed 4000 times" will not work because he has to be more specific.. have you killed animals? People? NPCs? Mass Genocide?
If gramps lingered on mass genocide he would have been forced to reveal his skill. Heck it is impossible to commit mass genocide without every newspaper, detective agency and vigilante group after your ass.

Double-page supporter
Remember he did kill the Flame Emperor twice, so it's actually n-2. Same person both times though, so he really has only killed one other person

Also, the lie detector probably works on both intent and belief. If the protag doesn't believe that killing himself is murder/killing, then he can answer that question the way he did and believe it to be a lie.

how is mc still so weak when he's training with lot faster way than the gramps who just meditates

Gramps in next chapter be like : HOW DO U EXCPECT ME, THE SWORD SAINT TO APOLOGIZE!? OK, FIGHT ME. IF I LOSE, I WILL APOLOGIZE.

On one hand, the Guild Masters are right and clearly have been pissed with the Sword Saint for a long time. They seem to have a strong sense of responsibility with their power and authority. However, I can also see where the Sword Saint is coming from. Yes, he could have saved many lives and eased the food shortage and so on. However, he is not responsible for any of them or their city or anything else. Just because someone can help others does not mean they are obligated to do so. To say otherwise is to say that anyone who is more skilled than you is your slave. That they have to do things for you just because they're stronger or wealthier. They don't. You are not their responsibility and it is none of their business that you are weaker than them.

Imagine it if you were the stronger. Imagine that you are a good shot with a gun so the army says "Okay, we're sending you into battle. Your obligated to do so because you're a good shot and if you refuse then anyone you could have saved is on your head." Or you won the lottery and are held responsible for people being hungry because you didn't use the winnings for their benefit.

That said, if everyone did contribute to helping as many people as they can with the excess of what they have (still putting yourself first, though, as is only fair), then all of that would layer on top of each other as everyone did so and build up quickly. But, that IS what people do. That's what societies and civilizations have always done and why they exist. It is the function of society and civilization. It's what government and charities are for and why people help each other when they see someone in need. This is normal.

Basically, the problem is the Guild Masters are acting like Sword Saint owes the populace when in fact he owes them nothing as they have not contributed to him, he is entirely a self-made success in the city and tower. One could say he had help from the spirit but since that's is skill card thing it doesn't count as it's part of him. Besides, the Guild Masters talk big but I don't see them or their guilds making sacrifices for the common good, so they have no place chastising him for the same.

Double-page supporter
MC really looking to get killed again

Also kind of odd that the death counter considers MC killing himself murder but the lie detector doesn't
I'm pretty sure that's because the MC knows that the 4000+ times wasn't murder, but suicide. So, he really did only murder--maliciously kill another person--once. That's both the objective and subjective truth.

Double-page supporter
@NYAHAHA what do you mean it's odd? the question was "you have murder over 4000 people, is that true?", and that's not true because he himself belifes to kill only one person, if the question was "Have you commit over 4000 murders", then it may have been true, if MC considers killing himself a murder. It was in a skills description that truth or false was all based on that person's beliefs.
Even that's subject to be false if he says yes.
He didn't commit murder 4000+ times. He committed murder once and committed suicide 4000+ times.
The definition of murder is to kill another person in a premeditated fashion. Stress is on "another" person.

Double-page supporter
Remember he did kill the Flame Emperor twice, so it's actually n-2. Same person both times though, so he really has only killed one other person

Also, the lie detector probably works on both intent and belief. If the protag doesn't believe that killing himself is murder/killing, then he can answer that question the way he did and believe it to be a lie.
OOoooh you're right. Yeah.
He committed that one murder twice, but it was indeed one person he murdered.

Double-page supporter
On one hand, the Guild Masters are right and clearly have been pissed with the Sword Saint for a long time. They seem to have a strong sense of responsibility with their power and authority. However, I can also see where the Sword Saint is coming from. Yes, he could have saved many lives and eased the food shortage and so on. However, he is not responsible for any of them or their city or anything else. Just because someone can help others does not mean they are obligated to do so. To say otherwise is to say that anyone who is more skilled than you is your slave. That they have to do things for you just because they're stronger or wealthier. They don't. You are not their responsibility and it is none of their business that you are weaker than them.

Imagine it if you were the stronger. Imagine that you are a good shot with a gun so the army says "Okay, we're sending you into battle. Your obligated to do so because you're a good shot and if you refuse then anyone you could have saved is on your head." Or you won the lottery and are held responsible for people being hungry because you didn't use the winnings for their benefit.

That said, if everyone did contribute to helping as many people as they can with the excess of what they have (still putting yourself first, though, as is only fair), then all of that would layer on top of each other as everyone did so and build up quickly. But, that IS what people do. That's what societies and civilizations have always done and why they exist. It is the function of society and civilization. It's what government and charities are for and why people help each other when they see someone in need. This is normal.

Basically, the problem is the Guild Masters are acting like Sword Saint owes the populace when in fact he owes them nothing as they have not contributed to him, he is entirely a self-made success in the city and tower. One could say he had help from the spirit but since that's is skill card thing it doesn't count as it's part of him. Besides, the Guild Masters talk big but I don't see them or their guilds making sacrifices for the common good, so they have no place chastising him for the same.
"They have not contributed to him"

I disagree with that point.

Sure, no one else is technically that dude's responsibility. But no one is fully working on their own.

His successes aren't just something he built on his own. The food he eats, the milk vodka he drinks, the clothes on his back, the sword he's been able to use... All of those things are products of other people. People that he benefits from but otherwise lets die.

Society works based on a group of people moving forward for a common cause of survivability, and hopefully, living life to the fullest. As someone who benefits from the fruits of that labor, one could consider it pertinent for him to repay those debts with earnest work and trying to ensure everyone who provides for him receives protection and products in return.

That's the true exchange of noblesse oblige. Otherwise, if old man was making his own clothes, farming his own crops, and hammering his own swords, I'd agree no one has contributed to his success.

But that's just not true. Serving each other is why society works. Serving the least capable of us, to exchange our gifts and mutually benefit each other or help those who can't help themselves. And when we fail to serve each other...well, that's when things start to fall apart, both in fiction and real life.

He gets benefits from being part of a collective and he's an able-bodied member of society, so pay up, old man.

"They have not contributed to him"

I disagree with that point.

Sure, no one else is technically that dude's responsibility. But no one is fully working on their own.

His successes aren't just something he built on his own. The food he eats, the milk vodka he drinks, the clothes on his back, the sword he's been able to use... All of those things are products of other people. People that he benefits from but otherwise lets die.

Society works based on a group of people moving forward for a common cause of survivability, and hopefully, living life to the fullest. As someone who benefits from the fruits of that labor, one could consider it pertinent for him to repay those debts with earnest work and trying to ensure everyone who provides for him receives protection and products in return.

That's the true exchange of noblesse oblige. Otherwise, if old man was making his own clothes, farming his own crops, and hammering his own swords, I'd agree no one has contributed to his success.

But that's just not true. Serving each other is why society works. Serving the least capable of us, to exchange our gifts and mutually benefit each other or help those who can't help themselves. And when we fail to serve each other...well, that's when things start to fall apart, both in fiction and real life.

He gets benefits from being part of a collective and he's an able-bodied member of society, so pay up, old man.
Yeah, except that he pays for the goods and services that he uses. He doesn't benefit from being part of a collective for nothing in return. He pays money into it that makes from his job that the collective benefits from. No one was simply supporting him or giving to him or whatever. Life outside your house isn't like living with your parents.

So, when I say they have not contributed to him, I mean that he gives for what he receives and therefore they did not contribute to him as they were compensated for what he got. Not that they even went out of their way to help or something. When you say that they have contributed to him, in the context of your comment, you mean that he has received everything freely with nothing in exchange and no expectation out of pure altruism and therefore owes everyone a debt for what he has. That did not happen. Because if that isn't what you meant, then clearly they did not contribute to him. He put in the effort to earn the money that he used to buy stuff. And it definitely wasn't from the Guild Masters anyway. That's like saying I owe Bill Gates because I have used Microsoft products before despite the fact that I bought it and from a store. I wasn't given it and certainly not by him.

Society does not work the way you described. It works through self-interest within a group. You give goods or services for something that you want in exchange. Usually money. It is not shared, it is not simply doing things for each other, it is not supporting each other, or giving, or serving each other, or any other such a thing. It is nothing like that at all. If you remove all charities, hand-outs, and help between neighbors and friends and the like, society would be completely unaffected. Because all such things are extraneous additions that only the richest societies can afford.

If people were perfect, then your way would be the norm. And I do greatly prefer your way over reality. But, it would fail for the same reason communism is incapable of functioning without relying on theft of wealth and resources or leaning on capitalist countries: people aren't perfect and there isn't enough of anything to go around.

Last edited:
Double-page supporter
Yeah, except that he pays for the goods and services that he uses. He doesn't benefit from being part of a collective for nothing in return. He pays money into it that makes from his job that the collective benefits from. No one was simply supporting him or giving to him or whatever. Life outside your house isn't like living with your parents.

So, when I say they have not contributed to him, I mean that he gives for what he receives and therefore they did not contribute to him as they were compensated for what he got. Not that they even went out of their way to help or something. When you say that they have contributed to him, in the context of your comment, you mean that he has received everything freely with nothing in exchange and no expectation out of pure altruism and therefore owes everyone a debt for what he has. That did not happen. Because if that isn't what you meant, then clearly they did not contribute to him. He put in the effort to earn the money that he used to buy stuff. And it definitely wasn't from the Guild Masters anyway. That's like saying I owe Bill Gates because I have used Microsoft products before despite the fact that I bought it and from a store. I wasn't given it and certainly not by him.

Society does not work the way you described. It works through self-interest within a group. You give goods or services for something that you want in exchange. Usually money. It is not shared, it is not simply doing things for each other, it is not supporting each other, or giving, or serving each other, or any other such a thing. It is nothing like that at all. If you remove all charities, hand-outs, and help between neighbors and friends and the like, society would be completely unaffected. Because all such things are extraneous additions that only the richest societies can afford.

If people were perfect, then your way would be the norm. And I do greatly prefer your way over reality. But, it would fail for the same reason communism is incapable of functioning without relying on theft of wealth and resources or leaning on capitalist countries: people aren't perfect and there isn't enough of anything to go around.
I debated whether or not to respond cause I don't really want to get too serious into this. But this is bothering me and I feel I'll stay bothered unless I respond, so I'll keep it short.

I'm not asking for a perfect world, nor will I make any lofty statements about the human condition and what human nature is considering our nature is based on several internal and external factors. Instead, I'm acknowledging how, no matter what, being purely self-serving never works out in the end, especially not in real life. I won't debate whether communism or capitalism or whatever economic "ism" is best, but in each and every case, being overly self-serving has never once worked, no matter what "ism" someone decides is best.

I'm allowed to be idealistic in this fictional setting, so that's what I'm going with.

Money cannot truly replace acts of service, but payment does at least help bridge that gap. In a world like theirs, where the money is less of an issue than the access to resources, I'd say acts of service are more meaningful.

So, in this fictional world where he benefits directly from the decreasing resources and he does little to help increase those resources in a meaningful way despite his power to do so, I still say, pay up old man.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread