STOP! PIRACY - Vol. 1 Ch. 14

Dex-chan lover
lol the bl, gives me host club vibes almost

Tho i wonder, other than it being frowned upon or banned, i would still expect some ppl to like go to a bookstore and take a pic of a single page other than in the sealed books

How do I read correctly if I can’t read it in English
wouldn't be surprised if there were loopholes, i mean md isn't given copyright strikes/taken down (tho i hear it was banned in some countries? but more so b/c of the 'erotica' on here lol) Like how (other than the aggregator/reuploader sites) ppl who sub jdrama just share their "sub files" or so as opposed to hard subbing and ppl just downloading the eps themselves /there wouldn't be a deletion request
Nice try beautiful shoujo guy, I'll be continuing to pirate manga on the seven seas thank you very much.
i wonder if ppl named that manga publishing company seven seas as tongue in cheek thing or a way to get more results when ppl try to search it XD

Dex-chan lover
lol the bl, gives me host club vibes almost

Tho i wonder, other than it being frowned upon or banned, i would still expect some ppl to like go to a bookstore and take a pic of a single page other than in the sealed books

wouldn't be surprised if there were loopholes, i mean md isn't given copyright strikes/taken down (tho i hear it was banned in some countries? but more so b/c of the 'erotica' on here lol) Like how (other than the aggregator/reuploader sites) ppl who sub jdrama just share their "sub files" or so as opposed to hard subbing and ppl just downloading the eps themselves /there wouldn't be a deletion request

i wonder if ppl named that manga publishing company seven seas as tongue in cheek thing or a way to get more results when ppl try to search it XD
The easiest way to make scanlation in a way that's completely legal would be only to have a translation script, and an automatic tool like the AI translators that clean, redraw, and typeset the translation script automatically, or does it according to a redrawing/typesetting script I guess. Then you'd just have to provide raws yourself. Wouldn't be much different from an AI translator tool like ichigoreader or cotrans, but the quality would be much higher.

The reason is that it's not illegal to translate and distribute the translation, and the same for an eventual redrawing/typesetting script. You don't really do anything illegal until you typeset the translation and distribute it really, that's the copyright break. So if you just do it to your own provided raws and don't spread them, you're not doing anything illegal.

I sort of don't think it's going to come to this though. At this rate scanlations are probably going to suffer the same fate as fansubs I think. There's going to be official translated releases of most of the big publishers and magazines soon, and whatever you can't find official releases of, AI translating tools will probably be so good that they'll be able to make decent results. They have already come a long way in just a couple of years. As of this point it's mostly about finetuning them so they look good honestly and don't make some of the mistakes they do. Scanlations are mostly only going to be a niche I think, somewhat similar to what fansubs are today.

It's also getting harder and harder to get translators, I'm not sure if it's because people don't learn Japanese anymore or if it's because they lose motivation because of competing with MTL, but at least there are far fewer translators around than there were just a couple of years ago.

Mangadex is cooperating with the industry, and they gain far more by the value of promotion, hype, and advertisement from scanlations than they'd lose on a theoretically lost sale (which, if you watched the video, they don't lose). PR is really valuable, and scanlations functions mostly as PR and getting the work out to people. And if you put in links to buy the raws and support the artist and manga like I do, you might even get some sales you'd never be able to that might be the difference in a manga surviving or getting axed.

Dex-chan lover
The easiest way to make scanlation in a way that's completely legal would be only to have a translation script, and an automatic tool like the AI translators that clean, redraw, and typeset the translation script automatically, or does it according to a redrawing/typesetting script I guess. Then you'd just have to provide raws yourself. Wouldn't be much different from an AI translator tool like ichigoreader or cotrans, but the quality would be much higher.

The reason is that it's not illegal to translate and distribute the translation, and the same for an eventual redrawing/typesetting script. You don't really do anything illegal until you typeset the translation and distribute it really, that's the copyright break. So if you just do it to your own provided raws and don't spread them, you're not doing anything illegal.

I sort of don't think it's going to come to this though. At this rate scanlations are probably going to suffer the same fate as fansubs I think. There's going to be official translated releases of most of the big publishers and magazines soon, and whatever you can't find official releases of, AI translating tools will probably be so good that they'll be able to make decent results. They have already come a long way in just a couple of years. As of this point it's mostly about finetuning them so they look good honestly and don't make some of the mistakes they do. Scanlations are mostly only going to be a niche I think, somewhat similar to what fansubs are today.

It's also getting harder and harder to get translators, I'm not sure if it's because people don't learn Japanese anymore or if it's because they lose motivation because of competing with MTL, but at least there are far fewer translators around than there were just a couple of years ago.

Mangadex is cooperating with the industry, and they gain far more by the value of promotion, hype, and advertisement from scanlations than they'd lose on a theoretically lost sale (which, if you watched the video, they don't lose). PR is really valuable, and scanlations functions mostly as PR and getting the work out to people. And if you put in links to buy the raws and support the artist and manga like I do, you might even get some sales you'd never be able to that might be the difference in a manga surviving or getting axed.
i don't know how many authors are losing money in the end from western piracy compared to japanese ppl reading raw upload sites , but i know there are some series that'll never be translated to english b/c the authors' not popular enough/officially published, but other than something huge enough to be on those manga apps like Spy Family, I think some ppl have gotten permission on like twitter/pixiv comics

tho i heard the "AI" translation for stuff like Nokotan or whatever it's called was because of like "woke?" localizations and that memed on Dragon Maid dub where a non human chara just started talking about "The Patriarchy" XD; versus the actual lines, other than like a '4kids' treatment where they have to tone down/censor some stuff for kids anime or so i imagine some dubs these days are more faithful/better than it was in the 80s, or just an option for ppl to watch a properly translated ver to enjoy the OG JP vas

(considering i've seen credits pages for hentai series i'm sure some regular indie freelance translators could make a decent amount charging commissions per chapter of a series lol [not sure the legality of that but i wouldn't be surprised if kofi 'tips' was also a loophole or so and ppl are like "this is for your rent" and they just happen to also translate as a hobby xD])

Dex-chan lover
i don't know how many authors are losing money in the end from western piracy compared to japanese ppl reading raw upload sites , but i know there are some series that'll never be translated to english b/c the authors' not popular enough/officially published, but other than something huge enough to be on those manga apps like Spy Family, I think some ppl have gotten permission on like twitter/pixiv comics

tho i heard the "AI" translation for stuff like Nokotan or whatever it's called was because of like "woke?" localizations and that memed on Dragon Maid dub where a non human chara just started talking about "The Patriarchy" XD; versus the actual lines, other than like a '4kids' treatment where they have to tone down/censor some stuff for kids anime or so i imagine some dubs these days are more faithful/better than it was in the 80s, or just an option for ppl to watch a properly translated ver to enjoy the OG JP vas

(considering i've seen credits pages for hentai series i'm sure some regular indie freelance translators could make a decent amount charging commissions per chapter of a series lol [not sure the legality of that but i wouldn't be surprised if kofi 'tips' was also a loophole or so and ppl are like "this is for your rent" and they just happen to also translate as a hobby xD])
I don't believe much that manga aren't licensed because of scanlations. If you look at what gets licensed by seven seas for example, it's usually 6-7 BL manga where the target audience are the ones with the most spending power so it's low risk licensing them, and usually one already popular manga that has gotten an audience already because of scanlations and is low risk and will sell regardless. If a manga that has scanlations hasn't gotten a license because it's not popular, that's because of it not being popular enough, not the scanlations. I see this argument again and again but I don't really buy it, and unless I get concrete evidence some time that scanlations actually have ruined a manga getting a license, I'd like to see it. Honestly I think it's just something that's being reiterated ad nauseum without actually having any basis.

Some of the twitter scanlators make scanlations with permissions, and the Nick and Lever artist cooperate with scanlators. But the artist can't do this with published work, there the publisher also has the rights. So you would never get permission to make scanlations of their work even if you asked. It's kind of hard to know what the different artists think about scanlations, some like the PR, but others like Jahy's author seaweed has her infamous twitter that she hates people reading her work on illegal translations sites. This ironically because she's probably made success because of illegal translations in the first place.

The Nokotan subtitles was that they weren't proofread before they aired, at least for the first episode. They weren't MTL but badly edited apparently, but didn't have the usual MTL mistakes but grammar mistakes and stuff like that. They got fixed later on most likely by crunchy themselves. You might be confusing it with the Mushoku Tensei translation that was censored and included woke and terms like e-celeb and simp that wasn't a thing when it was written. They have later been revised.

Mangadex forums don't allow for doing commissions for example (at least not in the forums I think, but some credits pages have info about commission), but you can easily find people doing commissions on sadpanda for example. Paying someone for making a translation isn't illegal at least, but paying someone for making a complete scanlation with typesetting is since it breaks copyright law similar to scanlations. That's the same as paying someone to do any other sort of crime really.

Dex-chan lover
I don't believe much that manga aren't licensed because of scanlations. If you look at what gets licensed by seven seas for example, it's usually 6-7 BL manga where the target audience are the ones with the most spending power so it's low risk licensing them, and usually one already popular manga that has gotten an audience already because of scanlations and is low risk and will sell regardless. If a manga that has scanlations hasn't gotten a license because it's not popular, that's because of it not being popular enough, not the scanlations. I see this argument again and again but I don't really buy it, and unless I get concrete evidence some time that scanlations actually have ruined a manga getting a license, I'd like to see it. Honestly I think it's just something that's being reiterated ad nauseum without actually having any basis.

Some of the twitter scanlators make scanlations with permissions, and the Nick and Lever artist cooperate with scanlators. But the artist can't do this with published work, there the publisher also has the rights. So you would never get permission to make scanlations of their work even if you asked. It's kind of hard to know what the different artists think about scanlations, some like the PR, but others like Jahy's author seaweed has her infamous twitter that she hates people reading her work on illegal translations sites. This ironically because she's probably made success because of illegal translations in the first place.

The Nokotan subtitles was that they weren't proofread before they aired, at least for the first episode. They weren't MTL but badly edited apparently, but didn't have the usual MTL mistakes but grammar mistakes and stuff like that. They got fixed later on most likely by crunchy themselves. You might be confusing it with the Mushoku Tensei translation that was censored and included woke and terms like e-celeb and simp that wasn't a thing when it was written. They have later been revised.

Mangadex forums don't allow for doing commissions for example (at least not in the forums I think, but some credits pages have info about commission), but you can easily find people doing commissions on sadpanda for example. Paying someone for making a translation isn't illegal at least, but paying someone for making a complete scanlation with typesetting is since it breaks copyright law similar to scanlations. That's the same as paying someone to do any other sort of crime really.
lol yeah even with ai translator you'd think there'd be a quality checker, esp when ppl talk about how overworked some mangaka are, i'd think there'd be underpaid/unpaid interns too

wouldn't be surprised if some western slang made it into some gen z aged mangaka's works, i haven't read it but i feel like i saw a chinese webtoon on here with 'simp' in the name, dunno if that translation is accurate but also wouldnt' be surprised if chinese had an equivalent word to that

Dex-chan lover

I can’t believe jahy hates me :meguuusad:

Dex-chan lover
Hey, did you know that grabbing someone's phone out of their hand and just start reading is illegal via invasion of privacy? The police are on their way. So long gay Bowser!

Users who are viewing this thread