Suicide Parabellum - Ch. 10

I'm a bit bummed the story closed with a new Chihaya instead of the main one we'd spent most of the chapters with, but then again, that's Douman Seiman for you - introducing MCs in the last chapter, lol. I wonder what the significance of the trans lady was - just a random gag character?

Wow. All the Chihaya's being created by Ouka was interesting, and Kareha being the real Ouka, observing the fake and the chase is quite a twist too. I was wondering where Merrick came from, but it's just another creation to further the chase. Too bad...Ouka didn't learn her lesson (accept reality) and reaped what she sowed at the end. Hopefully a new Chihaya will come along and save her. Probably the best thing I've read that is only one-ish volumes.

Dex-chan lover
If Ouka really does continue to run to Chihaya's side then they don't need to play the game. They can just spend eternity together in the looping dream worlds without the fake Ouka being involved at all

Double-page supporter
There's actually a fair bit to unpack here in the ending scene.
First: This isn't the same Chihaya we've been following. The one with the sweater and the long hair. At first I thought maybe she was somewhere else and she'd save Ouka from the short-haired one, but then I remembered what this Chihaya said. If all Chihayas are dead and there's no one to chase Ouka then there is no game and she wakes up. So, we know that she is likely dead.
Second: A new game means a new set of Chihayas. It's very possible that some of them will likely want to help Ouka escape the coma, so ideally Ouka simply needs to wait until another one comes around. However, that could take a very long time, and by the time she comes out of her coma she could be either very old or simply dead of old age, assuming she didn't just outright die this time from going into a coma at a bad time.

Third: There is a new Merrick on this Chihaya's shoulder. Merrick has always done what they could to assist Chihaya, but their ultimate goal was to help Ouka. Since Ouka wanted to maintain the game then that was their mission. Given that Merrick/Ouka reacted in distress to Ouka being locked in the train car and, more importantly, that everyone is reacting to her like she's still the boss, then it's likely that this Merrick will also help Ouka. Perhaps Merrick takes the bullet for Ouka, or manages to move Chihaya's arm to the side so she misses. Alternatively, perhaps this is all a ploy by both Chihaya and this new Merrick to scare Ouka into staying awake by forcing her to play one more game before waking her back up, but given how obsessive some of the Chihayas became it's far more likely that this Chihaya simply lost her sanity at not being able to be with Ouka.

With all that said, I'd like to think that Ouka will be able to escape eventually before she dies, and when she does she'll realize that staying in her head like that is too dangerous. As lovely as it is to meet the literal person of your dreams in, well, your dreams, it's not a good thing to be so engrossed in your dreams that you are unable to live in the waking world. Dreams can be nice, and mayhaps some of them can become real, but it's unhealthy to dwell upon them too much.

@Svelandria

The Merricks don't necessarily help/support Ouka. To begin with, the last Merrick helps break the loop against Ouka's wish.

Also, while Ouka says she won't run from Chihaya and she'll visit as much as possible, she mentions she can only be in the dream world while in a coma. That would mean if she gets better they won't be able to meet, implying more self harm or some kinda forced coma. Tho if you want a more positive outlook maybe she meant it in a more spiritual way of some kind, as to begin with, Chihaya only exists in Ouka's head.

As for the game, Ouka seems distressed about restarting it, so she probably wouldn't want to stay stuck in it, meaning the rules would be quite different, as she would try to escape. Not to mention Ouka pretty much has god status in that world, while the specific Chihaya has only one life. For how much time the game would take, it's a bit iffy, but they established that the deeper they go, the slower time is compared to the real world, and as they were pretty deep to begin with, even if they spend years in a new game it probably wouldn't be that much time in the real world.

Dex-chan lover
Fantastic work. Sorry Ouka but Chihaya was made for you just maybe not in the way you thought.

Users who are viewing this thread