Suki na Ko ga Megane wo Wasureta - Vol. 12 Ch. 102

Double-page supporter
how did we go from this adorable wholesomeness from beginning to end, to whatever the heck the anime is doing?
Anyway, thank you for another blessed chapter <3

Dex-chan lover
First. Kaede, explode.
Second. For real, explode.
Third. Is author saying something to the readers?
GWIpHGX.png

Fourth. Kaede, Explode
lp3RqcZ.png

Dex-chan lover
I forgot today was the 21st thank you for translating for I have been blessed 🙏

Group Leader
Girl wants to kiss her boyfriend. I don't think she's taking lessons from Anjou or anything.

I think a lot of Kaede's hesitation regarding moving forward in the relationship is due to his upbringing. He's got a single mother and we're not sure if his father died or is just a deadbeat, (I've re-read the manga since posting this comment. His dad isn't dead. He and the mom are just divorced.) but it's clear it's just been him and his mother for a long time. It's obvious she loves him very much and takes care of him, but he hasn't had a father figure in his life for quite some time (if ever). He matured quite differently, likely in an effort to not make more work for his mother. It just seems like he went through life trying to cause as little trouble as possible and didn't think that he deserved all that much. But now that he has everything he could want, he doesn't know how to properly process it all. He's got a girlfriend he loves that loves him. How does he rationalize all of a sudden he's got something he may have thought he would never have?

Anyway, that's my thoughts on the subject. Like his mother always says, he's a good kid. He just seems to be a bit emotionally stunted. Meanwhile Ai has had two parents and a "normal" upbringing.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Ohhhhhhh damn !!! What sweetness!! What a cute and adorable couple !
They've come a long way nonetheless I whish them a happy life ! (If the author wants it....)

Dex-chan lover
Ok I get that they're in middle school but i see this trope come up a lot with older casts as well; do the japanese actually get flustered over using first names like this? It seems odd to me, but that's probably just cultural differences being cultural differences.
yeah it is a culture thing. First name basis is essentially stating you're much closer to the person. Though it is often overly dramatic in most cases.

Supporter
Ok I get that they're in middle school but i see this trope come up a lot with older casts as well; do the japanese actually get flustered over using first names like this? It seems odd to me, but that's probably just cultural differences being cultural differences.
Use of given names (particularly without honorifics) is usually taken to mean an unusual closeness between individuals, generally either friends dear enough to essentially be considered family or outright lovers. (Like, in the biblical sense.) It's a little more commonly used between young people, but these two dorks are fully aware of the sense in which they'd be addressing each other this way and, yeah, at their age and experience level, the implications are kinda heavy.

Dex-chan lover
Just a cultural difference, yeah. Respect is basically built-in to the language, and how you address someone socially has a weight to it. Calling someone by their given name instead of their family name is implying that you're closer to them than just friends or acquaintances. People might assume you're dating just from that, if they knew you weren't family or something.
From a western perspective its just a name, but in the context of Japanese society it holds a bit more weight emotionally and socially.

Users who are viewing this thread