Sundome

Dex-chan lover
Missing chapters aside (they are translated and exist, just not here), this was epic. If you want a dirty romance with the right amount of feels, this is 10/10 for that.

It's a story about a girl who is a boy's Tyler Durden until he can become Tyler Durden for her.

What else to say... so much to activate one's almonds over:
The things with the OB's - it clear they were aware of Kurumi's condition, it's known at the end that the mole man is her doctor, but did he get her to that school just for the Roman Club? The OB's give them more activities than normal because Kurumi's time is so limited, but was her joining just a happy accident? Not known.

I think Hideo could have gotten more out of Kurumi and the Doctor if he had just asked, but this was alluded to in one of the later chapters when Kurumi was hospitalized and it never occurred to Hideo to just ask the front desk - Hideo never sat down and thought things through, he just acted on impulse a lot. The Doctor allowed Hideo to think of him as a rival likely because he knew it would push Hideo to try harder, work harder, and do more to demonstrate his importance to Kurumi.

The only thing I wish was in this story, was more insight into Kurumi's past. I know that the point of the story was that the past was irrelevant, the future was impossible, and the the present moment was the only absolute that was given. Still though, it would have been great if they asked more about each other and gotten to know the person that they purport to love.

Last thing: I get the Roman Club/OB virgin-pact thing, they pretty much did everything but and never really discussed their relationship... but, beyond Kyouko possibly knowing by watching and the Doctor knowing because it's his responsibility to know, no one else knew - the mother hoped - but no one knew... that was the saddest thing IMO. The reader doesn't even know if he ever told anyone afterwards the true extent of their relationship or even just what they meant to each other. Sad!

Group Leader
I remember reading this a few years back with a friend for like, the funny artwork and humor and the cool FL but like. This destroyed me for months. I mean I love angst & tragedy, but this was so painful heartfelt bittersweet (which I guess is funny considering there's a smut tag and trust, there's a lot of smut). There's something about the hopefulness of finding your first love and having it snatched away from you just as you both realize what it means. Those final chapters and the inevitability of the end is what hits the hardest, including the epilogue timeskip. I think. Anyways, every time I think about this manga I just remember how emotionally wrecked I was at the end of it. I went into reading this not knowing that it was tragedy, only that she "went away" at the end (I thought she moved schools). Boy. Boyyy. Still, I don't regret reading this.

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

Group Leader
just as a quick aside this was licensed in german and therefore i have the volumes.
this is seriously such a fantastic read. together with ciguatera one of my two all-time favourite romance manga.

Read this a while ago. It's a sick, funny and wholesome bittersweet romcom. One of my favorites ever, totally recommended.

This will probably be remembered as one of my favorite series. Reminded me a lot of Mysterious Girlfriend X.
It had the perfect balance of weird, cringe, funny, romance, drama, and suspense. I can't say I enjoyed all of it but after finishing I'm very satisfied with the whole thing. The ending upset me admittedly but if you paid attention, you saw it coming.

A good sense of style and consistent narrative, definitly one of the best romcom examples i know so far

Oh god I am getting flashbacks. This manga is the reason why I only read ecchi and isekai shit cause drama is too much for me

Dex-chan lover
It's been years since I read the ending and it's still living rent free in my head.
There's so many different emotions at play... it fucked me up.

Dex-chan lover
Masterpiece! Fun, stimulating, emotional and sad. There are shortcomings like in every work, but they don't matter when you truly enjoy the reading.

Users who are viewing this thread