Superwomen in Love! Honey Trap and Rapid Rabbit - Ch. 9 - Another Hero!?

Dex-chan lover
Welln that was unexpected . When did something that look a light comedy with a few serious toneshift suddendly into freaking Madoka ?

I hate when a series does this. If you wanna write grimdark then just write grimdark don't waste my time with a bait and switch.

Dex-chan lover
@majere616

what bait and switch? There was pretty obvious shadowing leading to something dark, we just didn't know how much dark was gonna be or it was gonna be a comedy bait and switch.

The established tone just doesn't jive with this degree of drama. There was foreshadowing that something was going to happen but this something is so wildly dissonant from the overall tone I'm not even invested in it I'm just annoyed. Intentional tonal whiplash just feels like a cheap ploy for shock value and it bores me.

Double-page supporter
Oic this is where this manga turns into shit. Alot of these series start off fluffy then gets way too serious or rapey they just can't help themselves

Haha, meanwhile, I'm fully onboard now! :D I'm not much of a ecchi-rom-com-slice-of-life otaku, though of course there's some gems in that deep, deep well, too... This is the stuff I like. Twists. Preferably of the dark kind. Mixing things up instead of a solid rhythm that never changes. :)

Thank you for the scanlations!

Power Uploader
@majere616 If you think this is tonal whiplash, then you clearly haven't seen any of the Kamen Rider series this gets its inspiration from. And those are actually marketed towards kids.

Dex-chan lover
My main problem is how X was first established as a goofy boss who wasn't respected by her generals and now she is like the definiton of a mastermind who have planned everything. Either you established her as a mastermind since start or you let her as goofy but not make such a huge shift because it feel strange and change completly the path of it. Not to mention if it was the intent purpose of the device, why not said it to the generals and more importantly why not do it on Hayate ?

Contributor
Given she only just got shot in the shoulder, they probably should get her some medical attention before she bleeds out.

Dex-chan lover
@Lilliwyt is correct in seeing this turn as drawing from the Madoka Magical Girl series. But I think that the next chapter will show whether there is a genuine tonal shift or some attempt to make much lighter use of the theme. A switch from burlesque to dark fantasy wouldn't be commercially viable.

I used to be a hero , but then my sister took an arrow to the shoulder

Group Leader
@Lilliwyt imagine believing that people can only be cardboard cutouts with only one single character trait and that having multiple facets to one's personality is impossible

Dex-chan lover
@tathra There a difference between making a slow shift between two attitude and suddendly swap from James of Pokemon to freaking Aizen of Bleach. I already said what is the problem i had with that. If we had some hints about X putting a goofy act then i could be ok but no. Chapter 5 have her being a goof and all and boom suddendly in chapter 6 she is all serious. There is no transition, it's almost like we have X evil twin, which is pretty ironic in itself.

Users who are viewing this thread