Suterare Yuusha wa Kitakuchuu - Ch. 2

Oh so he found the demon lord! seems like the posibility that this will turn into cooking manga increases!

@Meridis i dont thinks is neseceraly to limited to japan but

its more or less the only reason people (d)evolved to this point, is all for tastier food - since good tasting food is only real sattisfaction humans can get

Double-page supporter
Why did he go get an adventuring license lol ? That made no sense at all. then they sent him to collect shrooms in a cave.
And holy shit, be broke the chain just by pulling it. How high is his strength stat ?
and its really amusing when japanese people find bread as the most delicious thing ever. It lowers the worth in what they eat. Especially when MC seems to have food orgasms on bread.

And a god is scared of a cat ? and through the chapter he was calling the MC a demon ? Makes me thing this isnt a god at all. A god wouldnt do that. Hes something lesser, maybe a spirit or something. Demi-god is a possibility.

Food being straight up bad in pseudo-middle ages is the shittest fucking isekai meme. I hate how these condescending Japanese shitstains act like medieval people didn't know how to fucking use the resources they had. Sure the IRL middle ages didn't have the full range of ingredients that we have. Okay, they definitely did not have the cooking tech that we have now. Maybe they went overboard at times with the sugar. But there is no fucking way that their food tasted as bad as these smug Japanese bastards make it seem. Everybody likes good food, medieval peasants are not an exemption to that. Fuck these retards.

Fed-Kun's army
@Levanah Salt pepper and other spices used to be very expensive and therefore rare to find on mass in lower class food. On top of that many very vegetables we see for granted were only introduced later on by Columbus and others. I can't imagine Germany without potatoes. I think that food culture really developed only from the top (nobles -> rich -> etc) to bottom and mostly in the late middle ages. So the food wasn't really bad for high nobility (really sweet and sour with lots of spices) and become worse and more coarse the farther down the ladder you go. For example, a part of the flour from the mill would be sithed result in high class, middle class and coarse flour. Fish was rather widely consumed but meat really only in the upper classes. With all that said at least people back then didn't buy premade food and a stew you leave a long time virtually always becomes better. All in all the food in the middle ages wasn't really that good and really sweet but it laid the foundation for modern cuisine.
Regarding the Japanese arrogance you spoke about. Yeah, Japan while always really polite has always had a humongous problem with their feeling of superiority. This has led them into many troubles throughout history and Japan never really learned (Here in Germany the US and others made sure that Germany would learn about their wrongdoings. US reporters used to film in Auschwitz to show them but the Japanese emperor and his family never were brought to justice). While reading many novels it always surprised me how often the author would mention Japanese handicrafts and the superiority of Katana (which is actually pretty stupid as Japan smithing technology used to be multiple centuries behind Europes. They couldn't, for example, get their ovens as hot as Europeans nor could they control the heat to the same degree. In their defense, they didn't have a lot of iron so...). Authors would often introduce Japanese policies and never call it "our worlds" but "Japanese". That always used to strike me as odd. In their defense, Japan is really particular about their food and values it highly. Food takes a pretty big cut of their salary if I remember it rightly. However, many of their dishes are too sweet for my tastes. I feel like I'm the only one that feels oyakodon and tamagoyaki are usually way too sweet. There are a few good documentaries out there about the current rise of nationalism within Japan (Yeah that has never caused any disaster for Japan and certainly not two).

@mommy

Fair points.

>All in all the food in the middle ages wasn't really that good
I agree. That doesn't mean the food was all straight up bad though, which was my main point.
>but it laid the foundation for modern cuisine
That's kind of what I was trying to get at, that the medieval people did have knowledge on how to make food taste good. I'm sure even the peasantry could cobble together a decent meal whenever the resources at hand would allow it.

@mommy

Also, what I meant with the "too sweet" bit was that the medieval people went too far with putting in sugar in the sweets when sugar was introduced to Europe. Or at least that was what I read somewhere, I forgot where. I'm not well-informed on history.

Dex-chan lover
@mommy even though Spices was expensive they can still use herbs and other plants they can find on the ground or plant it themselves on their own ground so they still taste fairly decent.

also meats and vegetables already have natural flavors do I do not think the food taste actual shit

Fed-Kun's army
Bland food is much more likely than disgusting food, unless they just use spices he finds weird tasting you dont need much to make a palatable vegetable soup, even if making it tasty is harder. Also he suggest cooking himself so either that is pointless or the problem is supposed to be how they do it not just them lacking ingredients. Well I guess the food whining is normal for isekai.

Dex-chan lover
Today, for the section "Insanely stupid thing to do in another world", we have: freeing something chained at the bottom of a dungeon

Dex-chan lover
@Beregorn
Ah, what’s wrong with a little adventure?

Sides, knowing the Japs, it’ll prolly transform into a hot chick or something. Business as usual, though depressing as always.

Users who are viewing this thread