Suterare Yuusha wa Kitakuchuu - Ch. 6.1

rice is staple food. and that's about it, really.

and i reckon most people that are annoyed y this are most likely european/murican, since you guys claim to have bread/wheat or whatever it is as staple food but don't mainly eat it like most asian country's diet.

white rice taste bland, while some variant do taste a little bit sweet or salty (usually eaten in special occassion, you can sometime see those appear in manga, like red/brown rice). side dish is there to cover for that (and for variety sake too).

just imagine if you eat pasta everyday, the only different thing is the sauce/topping (or sandwich with different fillings). now eat those 3 times a day for most of your life. and that's how you're bound to miss it if you skip a day or two without one. some people might even go as far as saying " it not filling without rice " after having a fancy meal somewhere.

@scrabbleman

As a Chinese girl I really can’t imagine living in a world without rice, I could survive without it yes, I could withstand not eating for a month or two, yes. But to NEVER be able to eat it AGAIN?
ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Since I was a child I’ve eaten rice almost everyday, people ask me if I get sick of it, yes, yes, I do. So I eat other foods from other cultures, but ultimately I cannot deal without. The cravings for something that you’ve had in your life perpetually but had suddenly disappeared are REAL. I TELL YOU REAL.

Especially if you’re in a place where you know you can’t eat it, the cravings are even worse cause there’s that feeling in the back of your mind always telling you that it’s something you can’t have again or anytime you want.

Sometimes I travel to other countries and don’t get to eat rice for two or so weeks, at first I don’t feel much about it, but after a week I start wanting to eat rice again, that’s okay, but I KNOW I can’t have rice in this particular place, and that, for some reason, makes me start CRAVING. If I had the knowledge that I COULD have rice if I want to then I probably wouldn’t crave for it as much, but the idea that I CANT until I get back home makes it worse.

On top of that, I’m an overseas Chinese, meaning I was born and raised outside China. Chinese kids like us overseas have an odd tendency to be Rice Buckets, meaning we fucking love eating rice, waaay more than the current generation of Chinese kids raised in China. (Don’t ask me why I have no idea) so living in a world without rice is kinda torturous for me.

I can live without, yes. I do get sick of it, yes.
But I love rice and if I were to be sent to another strange world full of strange and unfamiliar things and an inconsistent lifestyle.
Having rice, a flavour from home, a flavour from my childhood, a flavour from the normalcy of my previous daily life, would be absolutely comforting and reassuring.

So yes, GIMME MY GODDAMN RICE.

Double-page supporter
wouldn't be surprised if he goes on a quest for soy sauce next chapter

Dex-chan lover
A someone who grew up eating rice daily for years. . . I stopped doing that a couple years ago and never regretted it.

Group Leader
So, I'm confused here. He abandoned the princess back in chapter 4.2, so why is she still with him and why doesn't she seem to know he is the hero now? Did they backtrack to before the events of 4.2 or am I missing something here?

XL

Dex-chan lover
The old Japanese men goes bonkers for rice cliche. What's next, glorious Japanese Katana folded a million times?

Double-page supporter
@EpidemicGuy

Tone down on the drugs, this barely have 6 full chapters and you're already lost ? lol. He didn't abandon anyone, the girl is on top of the bird of light on chapter 4-2, also, there's no reason for her to be calling him hero every panel just as there's no reason for him to keep calling her princess.

Dex-chan lover
Yay thanks for the chapter!
@Sparrow75 I totally get you about the rice thing, especially about if you were sent to another world and having the comfort of a food you've eaten your entire life
After months of living and adapting to a foreign place and food, finding something as familiar as rice probably would bring a few tears to my eyes tbh

Dex-chan lover
Chapter 61 was a short chapter. Cute tho.

edit:
And yeah, while I dont see rice as a required staple-food, I do agree it is tasty. And to me, potatoes, and to a lesser extent bread, have the same place in my heart. If I were spirited away to a place without potatoes, I would for sure miss it a lot. You can eat it tastily when boiled, when fried, when baked, mashed, and with loads of ways to combine it with stuff to enhance it further (merely salting is enough to make it super tasty tho). You can even eat it frozen (assuming you cooked it beforehand) for a tasty crunchy snack! (buying pre-fab pommes stripes that only need to thaw and then be dunked in hot oil to make fries, can also be used as a tasty emergency movie-snack by just eating still-frozen directly from a plate)

Luckily, many root-fruits are at least somewhat similar in nature, so odds are I could find something to cook as faux-potatoes, even in foreign lands. Would probably still miss it tho.

Dex-chan lover
@saifors Logically, there should be. I mean, russians have a bit, brits have couple, americans have some, I'm pretty sure french got something and there should be something german as well.

Group Leader
@jimkage thanks for answering my question, but quite being an ass about it. I've gone back and looked at chapter 4.2 and noticed where I got confused. When Hijiri was shouting for Ogata to wait, I had mistaken him for Eleanor. Like I said in my question, they either backtracked or I missed something. Turns out I did just miss something.

Dex-chan lover
A world without rice is a world full of dishes without meaning.

Dex-chan lover
@saifors "Italian isekais"? Why do you sound surprised? I mean, aside from being a tag used in manga, "isekai" just means "taken to another world".
Have you heard of the Neverending Story? I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Japanese who invented the genre...

I'd say pretty much every country has stories about being taken to another world.

Users who are viewing this thread