Switch to Webp for images. :rejected: for compatibility issues, blame Apple

I think we should switch to WebP for image files. its supported on the an overwhelming majority of browsers. its size is about less than a 3rd of png. At this point all browsers should be able to view it the only one lacking is safari but now even safari supports it as of big Sur. For fallback there could even be a jpeg or png if you wanted to at reasonable quality. But with its size reduced to less than 1/3 of the original in almost all cases it should mean less strain on the system for loading and less strain on storage size once more time passes as it is now supported on all browsers and systems except IE and thats just the browser to download another browser anyway.

I also recommend using XNCONVERT to convert images to it as this is a easy program with exceptional controls to convert images in bulk.

Edit:
If its felt that it only being more recently supported via safari it could be opt in but I don't see how the switch wouldn't benefit mangadex overall.

Contributor
That post response is from 2018 and the situation has changed greatly since then.

Also I don't know how to tag/@ you to respond directly sorry.

also Safari just gained support for it this year, at this point theres actually only 2 browsers that don't support it. IE and Kai. 2 years ago I don't think any apple product supported it though I could be wrong.

thats relevant blackyawgdom, Still think it would be good for the future but if its breaking for ios users I can see that point.

Double-page supporter
Oi, look! It's this dead horse again. Ok, I don't mind beating it one more time. 😎

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
A few percent of our users are still on devices that don't support .webp, and a few percent of users equates to a lot of people complaining about broken images.

> less strain on the system for loading
Bandwidth isn't really an issue, thanks to MD@H.
> less strain on storage size
We'd have to store three copies of every image with this; original, .jpg datasaver, .webp datasaver, it'd add a few terabytes onto the total archive size.
Also, the vast majority of the content on the side is lossless greyscale .PNGs and .webp is intended for lossy, color images. You're not saving much, and you're adding a whole load of extra hassle.

We'd be better off going full meme and polyfilling JPEGXL, and we're not doing that either.

Maybe throw "Other Image Formats" into the READ FIRST sticky. Along with "Brave Verified". Might cut down on the repeated sugges.... Oh who am I kidding, they never read the freaking sticky. Even if it were made into a popup for all first time posters with a captcha that quizzes people on whats in the sticky, it would still be ignored.

Contributor
I wish more REJECTED topics included appended messages like these,
though they wouldn't result in more people reading the sticky or anything, obviously.

rejectedmessages.jpg

Dex-chan lover
OP, not sure how you managed this post when you don't know how to @ people. Typing
Code:
[url=
Code:
https://mangadex.org/user/24997/blackyawgdom]you mean for something totally unrelated 6 months ago?[/url]
in the BBCode is a lot more complicated than an @.

For anyone wondering, link to thread @blackyawgdom mentioned (and yeah tbf it's unrelated to the Webp topic. Such a big thread that I remembered OP's username from it too tho.)

Oh yeah, and fuck Webp. Shit's a headache to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread