Taihou to Stamp

Fed-Kun's army
I understand that there's always some tension between different military branches and so on, but everyone in this manga needs to be court-martialed. It feels like the only character who hasn't already publicly pulled a gun on his own side is the one that's an actual traitor and at least has the sense to commit treason in private.

Dex-chan lover
I just realized that I'd hate Martina's guts if she was my co-worker. Sinan had it tough, hard enough to face off a tank with just a sword, but a giant typewriter is way up there on the list of immovable objects.

Contributor
I like this series because it accurately shows how much corruption and inefficiency actually exist in wartime, and how people manage to get things done despite it all. The depiction of periods of relative calm punctuated by moments of random horrific violence and death is also pretty accurate.

Majority of turks arent dark skinned its weird to see all of them are dark skinned in this manga.

@balikboklu Yes, but they aren't as fair skinned as Europeans from the Duchy and the Kingdom. It's black and white manga and author has to show skin difference somehow.

Dex-chan lover
Glad to see that the wasp-eaters managed to survive: I wonder if the Heterodyne did too...

If this manga wasn't explicit on the gags and zaniness, it would be beyond depressing. It is high tech war between a Republic that is willing to gas civilians and an expansionist Empire with its backwards and corrupt ally. Seeing the corpses of civilians just laid about was for me quite sobering.

Dex-chan lover
@Beregorn
Ya but her bloodline got diluted so badly the current generation is an accountant in the logical forces
@salvia
He’s referring to a webcomic called girlgenius that the blond heroine (with similar glasses) has a man made 6leg weasel that hunts wasps

Hey commenters, do you think that the Republic is the Ottomans that had some sort of People Revolution? Or is it a republic because the Republic of Venice and Allies won and pushed the turks out of power and established their system?

Group Leader
@Mizuto
If suppose it's the former. Venice was a foreign power, they most likely would try to dismantle any trace of the Ottoman rule, subdue the culture statrting with the language. Yet the Republican military vehicles still bear the names of culturally important people and objects and the Republicans themselves still speak in squiggles.
hayamy Rasenjin heavily draws from the history of USSR and sneaks peices of it wherever he sees fit. And the Republic resembles it in a way. It's a totalitarian regime with a cult of personality. Yet the revolution was not that drastic, apparentely, because the amount of Ottoman influence is bigger that the amout of influence of Tsarist Russia onto the Soviet agenda. And, apparentaly, there are still land owners and aristocracy in the Republic, as a great deal of their officers are from the higher class.
So perhaps it was not a revolution but a reformation turned amok.

@Ostermann
The Republic is more something between the Turkey of Ataturk and the Iran of Reza Khan Phalavi. Although, the Republic seem to resempble more the early republican Turkey, it has lot of aspects similar to the Phalavi Iran: cult of personality (Ataturk was against it), strong militarism (Reza Khan was the former general of persian cossacks and minister of war, so it was determinated to augment iranina military strenght) and even vast weapons imports from the Great Britain, just like the Republic got its modern equipment from the Kingdom.

Group Leader
@Adelkman
Well, certainly it resembles the Republican Turkey, mostly because of the historical parallels (and the name). However, apparentely, there was no conflict comparable to the WWI, most prominentely because chemical weapons while widely used still considered inhumane but not as a warcrime. Therefore most likely there was no such an event that would crush the Ottomans from the outside. An idea of a people's revolution is reinforced by the face that most of the nations around the Republic are still monarchies and the Republic is painted in black by the Empire. Most likely, just like in our history, monarchies are in decline (it can be clearly seen in the case of the Grand Duchy), and ideas of overthrowing a monarch must be stopped to maintain the status quo, even if it means a foreign intervention. But who knows, may be the intervention is justified, but I have a feeling that there is a massive propaganda campaign against the Republic.
The idea of people's revolution goes to the countrary with the fact that aristocracy is still present in the Republican society, but that's the only thing.
As for the idea that it resembles Reza Pakhlavi rule, I doubt it. Once again, we see the world three years in the war. Strong militarism might not be an inherent thing of the regime (especially if there is a propaganda campaign agaisnt the Republic). Additionally, even in our history the area where the manga takes place was heavily fortified because of the recurring Russo-Turkish wars, which would explain the countless fortresses.
The last thing. I may be wrong, but there is no direct statement that the Republic imports its equipment. All of their vehicles, that were described on the Equipment Pages were internally developed and bear culturally important names. It would be even less probable that such an import would come from the Kingdom, as it tries to maintain neutrality in the war. There are, of course, talks of it joining, but I suppose that they would join the Imperial and Grand Duchy Allied Forces on a simple fact that the Kingdom is also a Monarchy and a European state (the Kingdom is France). But I may be wrong on that.

Users who are viewing this thread