Task Force for Paranormal Disaster Management - Vol. 8 Ch. 22 - Kaiju VS. Nimrod

Dex-chan lover
Thank you so much for picking this up!
This manga is severely underrated, man. Even though Junya Inoue doesn't miss.

Dex-chan lover
Aren't these 50 cal rifles? How many can you shoot before you don't feel your arm anymore?

Power Uploader
As the previous translator, I wish you lads at Undead Scans all good luck!

In these days of shitty MTL and a frenzy for isekai crap, seeing a group take on one of the hardest mangaka in terms of scanlation difficulty warms my heart. Yes, the translation was a teensy bit stilted here and there, but it was overall good, and the typesetting will improve naturally on the go.

And what's better, you have been adding notes on stuff you recognise, while I only did it for things that were named. I'm no military nut, in fact I am averse to all things military (I just wanted to do a kaijuu manga), so I only added things that were named so I could quickly research them in Wikipedia. I feel like the series is in more committed hands now.

I'll be following your releases, looking forward to more!

Group Leader
Thank you for picking this up. A couple of technical things that stood out for me...

- "Second Colonel"? Did you mean "Lieutenant Colonel"? Also the Chief said her husband was a Submariner, making him a member of the Maritime Self-Defense Force/Japanese Navy. If they follow the same rank sequence as the US Navy, any variation of the rank of Colonel is not used by Naval services. The equivalent of Lieutenant Colonel should be "Commander".

- Barrett M82 isn't a 20mm but fires a .50 BMG cartridge, which in metric is 12.7mm.

Hey, thanks for posting this! I'll try to be as brief I can, and take it point by point.

- Excellent catch with "Second Colonel". You're right, it's probably a pretty safe assumption the MJSDF have a very close structure to the US Navy, given the historical factors behind the Maritime SDF's formation (Potsdam, US occupation, etc.) I'll edit page 42 and the correction should be up in the next few days.

- You're absolutely correct, the M82 is chambered in .50 BMG (aka 12.7x99mm.) I'm not sure where it was stated that the M82 is chambered in 20mm? I'll give the chapter a thorough reread tonight, see if I spot it. If anyone has a specific page number for this one, I would appreciate it!

Sincerely, thank you from me and everyone at Undead Scans, for helping to keep our releases accurate.

meinichi
Undead Scans

Bro, this thing you're doing picking dropped manga, and translating this one here... You're great. Thank you so much! TRUE MVPS.

Dex-chan lover
Aren't these 50 cal rifles? How many can you shoot before you don't feel your arm anymore?
This is an exaggeration a lot of people make about .50BMG that's not true with a semi-auto rifle like the Barrett or similar. There is a lot of force, but the recoil impulse is very long due to the recoil system which includes the barrel and a spring that runs almost the entire length of the upper receiver.

I have multiple videos of myself mag-dumping a .50BMG rifle and I have confidence I could do it until my arms get tired of the rifle weight itself before the recoil "hurts" me.

Group Leader
I think they refered to page 32 (numbered 100), top left panel.

And thanks for your work.

Sorry for the late reply, I suck at checking these things, ngl. I tried really hard to find the page I needed to correct, but couldn't see the forest for the trees. Thankfully, I have backups saved of every page I've ever worked on, so I'll correct that hopefully tonight or tomorrow, send it to Jero, and it should be up in the next few days.

Better late than never, amirite?

You're very welcome, we appreciate the hell out of our fans' support, and comments like yours encourage us to keep working hard. Thank you so much 🙇🏻‍♂️

Group Leader
This is an exaggeration a lot of people make about .50BMG that's not true with a semi-auto rifle like the Barrett or similar. There is a lot of force, but the recoil impulse is very long due to the recoil system which includes the barrel and a spring that runs almost the entire length of the upper receiver.

I have multiple videos of myself mag-dumping a .50BMG rifle and I have confidence I could do it until my arms get tired of the rifle weight itself before the recoil "hurts" me.

Excellent, I'm always glad to run across a fellow Firearms Appreciator, especially one so knowledgeable. Thank you so much for this clarifying comment, too, really!

Many people are under the impression that the Barrett M82 is a recoilless rifle, which is not the case. There are many other anti-materiel rifles which are recoilless, so it's a very understandable misconception. In addition to the lengthening of the recoil impulse, a lot of the newer models of .50Cal rifles from Barrett also have stuff like relatively longer muzzle breaks that help in dissipating the inertia from firing the round (in addition to other design elements like you mentioned, for instance not having a fixed barrel, etc of course).

I've only had the pleasure of firing an M82 on one occasion (thank the gun gods for family members in active service), though technically what I was firing was the M107, but whatever... If I had to liken the recoil to firing another kind of firearm, it would probably a large-gauge shotgun. That may be surprising to some readers, but as Loliphilosophy helpfully pointed out, the guns are designed fantastically. In terms that aren't gun-nerd speak, that means a soldier could easily fire every round in their kit, and still be relatively fine. Maybe a little sore at the end of the day, but that's nothing, really.

As much as I would love to carry on info-dumping, I don't want to go too far afield, either. So I'll end this by saying thank you to the philosopher of Loli, I really appreciate you helping to clarify this! I don't mean for this comment to be a challenge or correction to anything you said (everything was correct anyway lol), I'm just hoping to add on a little bit more info in case anyone interested reads these comments later on.

I'm more pleased than I can say to have encountered a fellow gun nerd in the wild, and even better, they're a fan of one of my series! Thank you for your service my friend 🫡 and if you ever want to have a good convo about which guns (real or airsoft) you're currently having fun with, please feel free to hmu on Discord, anytime!

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Excellent, I'm always glad to run across a fellow Firearms Appreciator, especially one so knowledgeable. Thank you so much for this clarifying comment, too, really!

Many people are under the impression that the Barrett M82 is a recoilless rifle, which is not the case. There are many other anti-materiel rifles which are recoilless, so it's a very understandable misconception. In addition to the lengthening of the recoil impulse, a lot of the newer models of .50Cal rifles from Barrett also have stuff like relatively longer muzzle breaks that help in dissipating the inertia from firing the round (in addition to other design elements like you mentioned, for instance not having a fixed barrel, etc of course).

I've only had the pleasure of firing an M82 on one occasion (thank the gun gods for family members in active service), though technically what I was firing was the M107, but whatever... If I had to liken the recoil to firing another kind of firearm, it would probably a large-gauge shotgun. That may be surprising to some readers, but as Loliphilosophy helpfully pointed out, the guns are designed fantastically. In terms that aren't gun-nerd speak, that means a soldier could easily fire every round in their kit, and still be relatively fine. Maybe a little sore at the end of the day, but that's nothing, really.

As much as I would love to carry on info-dumping, I don't want to go too far afield, either. So I'll end this by saying thank you to the philosopher of Loli, I really appreciate you helping to clarify this! I don't mean for this comment to be a challenge or correction to anything you said (everything was correct anyway lol), I'm just hoping to add on a little bit more info in case anyone interested reads these comments later on.

I'm more pleased than I can say to have encountered a fellow gun nerd in the wild, and even better, they're a fan of one of my series! Thank you for your service my friend 🫡 and if you ever want to have a good convo about which guns (real or airsoft) you're currently having fun with, please feel free to hmu on Discord, anytime!
Sure. I believe I sent you a friend request.

Users who are viewing this thread