Tasogare Memorandum - Vol. 1 Ch. 3.1 - Machi-chan's Lie

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
This manga is surprisingly more impactful than i initally thought.

Aggregator gang
Wait, so is she not getting bentos from her mother in law? Why's she not eating at noon?

I don't understand what's going on, can someone explain?

Did her mother-in-law didn't prepare her bento after all or did she throw away her bento too? or was it something else?

Fuck this is getting kinda heavy. Wonder if someone's gonna die by the end.

She trying too hard on pleasing everybody by accepting all the food when she know she wouldn't able to finish it. She throwing away food as if the most natural thing to do as Eri see she doing it all time.

Sorry for the bad english.

Dex-chan lover
This manga's getting a lot more psychological in these past two chapters.

So what's probably going on is that she eats the mother in laws bento. Then some grocery stores will let staff take home unsold food on its expiration date, but Machi wants to be well liked by everyone all around, and has decided the best course of action is to throw away the unsold food (which has to be thrown out anyway due to expiration) and let her mother in law cook for her.

However, she still takes the unsold food because it was given to her. "They give me the unsold ones on the shelf before I leave." A refusal of a deed done in good faith, especially when it comes to food, makes the person refusing seem rude or too good for it. That's why it's hard to turn people down when they invite you to go eat or when they ask you to eat something for them, cause it feels like you're being rude if you turn 'em down.

Dex-chan lover
If this manga stays on this small scale the whole time mixing it up bits of drama like these last two chapters and jokes like the earlier ones. It's about minor mysteries and small drama so I hope it stays relatable. That's why the last two chapters hit so hard an yet didn't feel out of place to me.

Dex-chan lover
Though I would probably not take food from the store (or not eat at my stepmom's if I didn't like her), she could at very least...give food to homeless people, if there were any around...no?
Still, I am confused with "auntie Maeda". Is that blonde woman? I thought that she is mother of our main heroine. Wait, then, how is Eri-chan related to these two?

@Day-Ender

She throws away the store-given leftover because Aunt Maeda cooks her dinner, and throws away Aunt Maeda's bento because the store gives her lunch. Basically in an attempt to not be rude to anyone, she's actually being cruel to everyone.

Group Leader
@cyand Hi! What does "that's your forte" mean?

aKK1q76H_o.png

Contributor
@30 Just reading this now! Is Machi the step-daughter or the daughter-in-law of Auntie Maeda? They've referred to each other as both so I'm a bit confused on their relation.

Group Leader
@sukaley it should be in-law. i had step at first but forgot to change it universally evidently. my bad. thanks for pointing it out

Users who are viewing this thread