Tenju no Kuni

Dex-chan lover
Rati seems too good to be true.

I've been so scarred by hentai that I always doubt the quiet and pleasant ones.

Dex-chan lover
Expected to see some comments about the manga, but it is just wall of text about arranged marriages

What a cute patoot manga. Art isn't as intricate as Bride's Story but scratches the same itch. Would buy hardcover releases of this too.

.... I'm gonna be nice and explain the point of view of the people who started arranged marriages. Because apparently you guys just don't get it. You guys are using your own values and financial situation to evaluate arranged marriages. It was a product of it's time and a matter of day to day survival.

To anyone who says arranged marriages suck cause no freedom of choice or love, let me ask you this. Love? Can you Eat that? Free choice? Does it give you or your family money? That's a Western Ideal, good for you, you have access to tons of food to waste and decent amounts of money, go waste some resources divorcing people to find the right honey. What happens when you don't have comfortable amounts of money for food and water and no one is around for miles? Oh and people can randomly drop from diseases. Well the locals will tell you to go eat your love and drink your free choice and die in a ditch then cause they're busy NOT DYING.
----------------
Arranged marriages were and are a thing because in very rural areas because NO ONE IS BLOODY AROUND FOR MILES. These guys had no access to cars and it takes miles to get to NEIGHBORS, how are these people in rural areas supposed to meet and marry people then? You arrange meetings, then arrange marriages. Notice I didn't mention horse, I will get back to that.

What do you think happens if you try to divorce your spouse miles away from your relative with no access to cars and no one wants to give you a horse and people are having trouble getting food and water? Go ahead, try it! You'll be stuck with the family you married and after the divorce, they don't have to give you food or shelter anymore and quite frankly they probably hate you now so you might die of thirst or starve to death. Oh and that horse? Worth more than the house, yeah, good luck getting someone living in the area to trust you with one after the divorce so you can go home. The divorce would only be worth the risk if you were in physical danger then yes? Exactly, also it would require support from the locals, which would be difficult and UNRELIABLE.

Also you forget, the arranged marriage system is SUPPOSED TO BE A LAST RESORT, but in practice, if you have low population density, you have fewer people to date, there's a high chance the two or 3 local dates are derpy or pick their noses and don't poop right, so might as well hunt for an arranged marriage on a rural arranged marriage board and arrange for children to meet or for adult to MARRY RECENT WIDOWS SO THEY DON'T STARVE TO DEATH, you know give them the free choice of marrying OR NOT DYING?

You might not like it, but the arranged marriage system was practical and often used as a way to keep Widows alive or to marry off excess children in a time period where food, water and resources are scarce. The only alternative was death.

Dex-chan lover
This is the most adorable manga I've come across in years. This is wonderful and amazing. This is just about everything I could want out of a manga.

Double-page supporter
I think this manga has a similar premise with Otoyomegatari. Historical, young couple, and Central Asia ??

Dex-chan lover
I'm pretty sure Kan Shiba's derp eyes are my favourite part of this manga.

Double-page supporter
@crazybars
At first I didn't read your comment, so I'm sorry if this is outdated or too late to post.
I think arranged marriages not only about survival. It has many reasons to do and depend to each couple why they doing the arranged marriage. There are religious reasons (prohibited to do free sex), health reasons (can't hold the urge to sex), social reasons (connecting two families), etc. I agree with your comment but it's not just for the survival reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread