Tenro no Avalon - Vol. 1 Ch. 2 - Orlan

Dex-chan lover
Damn, drilling all that info into his head only for everything to go awry. Tuff.

Dex-chan lover
Would be sweet if all that knowledge ended up playing a pretty big role, like perhaps knowing various weak points in those armor suits.

I'm confused. So they crash landed, and the survivors built a civilization and started to fight each other? I can understand the fighting for food and resources, but why nobles? Anybody would know that feudal rule never works out in the end; how could they allow that to happen? With a civilization far more advanced than our own, you would think that they would know how to govern properly without too much conflict.

Dex-chan lover
@Taco-chan I assume they didn't have the means to properly educate their children or even to set up a working civilization so they pretty much turned into tribes led by warlords, which sooner or later led to feudalism.

Democracy and everything associated with it requires way too much stuff supporting it in order to work and I doubt they had that in that desolated planet.

Contributor
This is really good, but now i wonder if and how the girl he knew can still be alive ?

Maybe she live in a capsule and rarely come out ?

orp

@Taco-chan
No system "works out in the end", they emerge and get superceded by other systems in response to the circumstances of the times. Nobody invented and implemented feudalism, it evolved from the previous conditions of Late Antiquity when that system went through an existential shock. (In Europe, it also existed for different reasons and in different times elsewhere). The same seems to have happened in this manga.

If you think modern democracies are going to last for the rest of eternity, you really need to get that Fukuyama Kool-Aid out of your system, and if you have some other forever perfect arrangement in mind, the same applies to that.

@orp

A truly advanced society has to be a meritocracy in some fashion. Lest incompetent individuals, whether through corrupt or nepotistic reasons, are recruited to leadership positions and drive the state into the ground.

Likewise, an advanced society is almost by definition one where the standard of living for individuals is high, with equal access to resources and education.

These two facets alone would imply that an advanced society would be some permutation of a democracy.

orp

@Tempdos
There's some room for argument, but I don't think here's the best place for it. Besides, I'm not even disagreeing. Two brief points for clarification: 1. You mentioned "some permutation of democracy", which is perfectly compatible with what I said about "modern" democracies. 2. The situation in the manga post-planetfall is clearly very far from an advanced society anyway.

@orp

True enough, I'm partial to the idea that the stress of planetfall and successive generations of living in an impoverished environment would be enough to cause a society to regress tremendously.

Users who are viewing this thread