Tensei Kizoku, Kantei Skill de Nariagaru ~Jakushou Ryouchi o Uketsuida node, Yuushuu na Jinzai o Fuyashiteitara, Saikyou Ryouchi ni Natteta~ - Ch. 10…

Dex-chan lover
Don't try and twist what I said. Everyone, everywhere, except for Ars and his people basically, reacting immediately with viceral hate and disgust to the point that they lash out at him even for saving their life, is fantastical. Similarly, the sheer proportion of said virulent racism, is fantastical. There were and still are (unfortunately) plenty of people that are racist to that extreme degree, like that nazi couple who were running a homeschool-type environment to indoctrinate kids to their beliefs, but you don't get entire populations that are like that, like in this manga. It's too homogenous, and why I'm saying it's fantastical.
Not only it's fictional but at least I am sure that racism can get exaggerated even in the old times. Human nature to find difference for the first time scares them. How else would witch hunts or slavery back then was so well known if difference between people was that easy to accept?

Sure it is not as rampant as it is now but these fictional setting is usually based on how it is back then. If the setting was modern times with no magic and appraisal skill then perhaps it is wearisome and getting old or getting too generic.

Dex-chan lover
Not only it's fictional but at least I am sure that racism can get exaggerated even in the old times. Human nature to find difference for the first time scares them. How else would witch hunts or slavery back then was so well known if difference between people was that easy to accept?

Sure it is not as rampant as it is now but these fictional setting is usually based on how it is back then. If the setting was modern times with no magic and appraisal skill then perhaps it is wearisome and getting old or getting too generic.
Was going to go into a big long spiel about how slavery and witch hunts actually grew out of universal internal practices across many nations and cultures with a lot of references and such, but I'll truncate it to just that, because if I didn't, it'd be another full page essay and I'm tired of writing those. >.o Needless to say, you are partially correct; it often was exaggerated, in many cases with the former used as an excuse to justify reducing mouths to feed during successive bad harvests (easier by far to blame it all on one person or a small group of adjacent outsiders, especially with the lack of knowledge and education that was predominant at the time compared to modern knowledge) and improve internal unity; the latter was simply the living spoils of war (which is where the concept of inferior was baked into the status) between warring tribes of people, traded within barter economy practices.

Where our opinions differ is on the "based on how it is back then", because how I described it is how it's always been. Those directly involved in slaving usually are those that had little problem seeing others as inferiors to be vilified and treating them such, but the average person would be indifferent or even positive once curiosity was assuaged. This goes even for the modern-era (1500~1945) in which the African Slave Trade exploded. Remember that this was the same time period that, over in Japan, an African man (who prior had been the bodyguard for an Italian Jesuit missionary) went by the name of Yasuke, and was a samurai in the employ of Oda Nobunaga; as Thomas Lockley's story goes, "Nobunaga was fascinated by the color of Yasuke’s skin, which he initially believed to be covered in black paint. The daimyo ordered Yasuke to be washed, but his skin color remained unchanged. Nobunaga threw a welcome party for his visitor, who officially entered his service soon after".

Users who are viewing this thread