The Apothecary Is Gonna Make This Ragged Elf Happy

I loved the story, and especially the wholesome progress. It had me tearing up and I appreciate it.
Having looked at the other comments, I agree the premise of love through dependence or salvation can be messy, and looking back, I agree that it's kinda messed up. As to comments about the sexual nature of her abuse, I just kinda brush that off. I acknowledge that it's horrible and one of the worst crimes ever, but if I thought about it too much or too deeply, then I would traumatize myself. If the author included that in the story, I would have dropped it because I can't handle it and live normally.
All that said, the story was smooth, naturally progressing(except the ending, was a bit rushed for me), and made sense(as much as a random fantasy world can). It's great to see someone practically dead inside and out, turn into someone full of life and joy, and that journey is what makes the story beautiful. She felt warmth and kindness for the first time since the trauma, and had to work up to trusting that warmth. If the story would have painted our mc, kurosuke, as just a kind dude who never does wrong, I would find the story less enjoyable. It's because he's selfish at times that he is appealing, because we can relate to him, maybe not in the way the story says he's selfish, but he is human and makes mistakes.
Overall great story that I loved.

Double-page supporter
even after reading that long review comment idk how any of you that read this ended up with a bad taste.

As wholesome and great as the second half of this series is
The first half is clearly made for a disgusting breed of fatherless fetishist that should be in a jailcell rather than reading mango

Dex-chan lover
Binged this in one day, must say. Not a bad read. I gave it a 9/10, but if I am gonna be honest, it's probably an 8/10. Its good but there are two issues I have with it. The first is that chapters are normally a single page. Which really restricts and prevents world building. That is the biggest weakpoint in my opinion, by the fact that I binged 60 some chapters in a single day should say enough.
Spoilers

The second problem comes near the end of the story.
Where they make this miracle drug and it cures her completely. Its a happy ending yes, but I think it detracts from the whole purpose of the story. About recovery and discovery. It just feels like a cheap cop-out.

Aside from that, good read. Would recommend.

Dex-chan lover
even I as someone who has a perfectly normal level of distateste relating to elves, can't help but feel at least siemthing.

Binged this in one day, must say. Not a bad read. I gave it a 9/10, but if I am gonna be honest, it's probably an 8/10. Its good but there are two issues I have with it. The first is that chapters are normally a single page. Which really restricts and prevents world building. That is the biggest weakpoint in my opinion, by the fact that I binged 60 some chapters in a single day should say enough.
Spoilers

The second problem comes near the end of the story.
Where they make this miracle drug and it cures her completely. Its a happy ending yes, but I think it detracts from the whole purpose of the story. About recovery and discovery. It just feels like a cheap cop-out.

Aside from that, good read. Would recommend.
This. Ending really undercuts the entire story.

Others have pointed out that this story kind of appeals to the basic damsel-in-distress theme which is not automatically a bad thing but the presentation of these kinds of stories and in particular this one leaves us uneasy on what to feel. I would add that it is exarcebated by the fact author made one-paged chapters where almost in every page, they simply showcases the elf's body, cleavage, skin and the rest.

Basic premise isnt that awful even if it is wholly unoriginal. Presentation really impacts it negatively and in general, typical one-paged manga with girls plastered on the entire page are only going to amount to so much. Maybe with a really unique concept or rarely explored ones, otherwise it really is just like reading unfiltered spamming of fanarts and horny-inducing postergirls in plotless settings.

Last edited:
Fed-Kun's army
As wholesome and great as the second half of this series is
The first half is clearly made for a disgusting breed of fatherless fetishist that should be in a jailcell rather than reading mango
Honestly hate authors who write such stuff

I don't understand why they always do the same thing. The progress between the protagonists escalates well at the beginning, absolutely stagnates in a horrible stalemate for most of the story and in the end if we're lucky they end up together. It would have been much better if instead of chapters that went nowhere we could have seen the first time they woke up together, that they held hands, etc. etc.

Still, I enjoyed it a lot.

@gladiatorua

@G-P

@CrusadeDan

I'm not here to hate on The Apothecary. Giba-chan's art is gorgeous, and I enjoyed the story. The poor, ragged elf is as alluring as she is pitiful, and only the most hardened sadist would be unmoved by her plight. But this series is creepy as fuck.

It belongs to a niche genre of helplessness fetish romance aimed at male readers. In such stories, the female lead is reduced to the most pathetic state possible. This enhances her dependence on and, consequently, her devotion to the male lead - a situation from which love eventually grows.

The question, then, is this: To what horrors do we, as male readers, want to imagine the female love/lust-object has been subjected in bringing her to the desired state of dependent helplessness?

Here, we get to imagine that her body and spirit have been all but annihilated by years of sexual abuse. Elf-chan has no memory or sense of independent self. Sustained trauma has left her blind, quadriplegic, and near-catatonic at death's door. To drive the point home, we are told and reminded that she was raped and tortured to the point that her genitals were literally destroyed.

Personally, I found that this story provided more helplessness and origin trauma than I typically need or want in a romantic fantasy. It's great that the apothecary found and healed the elf. It's great that they can now live happily ever after. But the shadow of what the author (fictionally) put the character through - in order to enhance our (the reader's) romantic investment - hangs a dark cloud over the tale, undermining its superficially "wholesome" charm.

8/10 despite the creep factor. The art's wonderful, the story's short but feels complete (if a bit rushed at the end), and I always appreciate a happy ending.
Considering i didn´t even realize the romance part until the confession, instead seeing this as some kind of Dr. House episode, i have a hard time agreeing with your fetish theory. A woman does not need to be helpless for me to want to protect her, but maybe that´s just me.

Users who are viewing this thread