The Archmage Returns After 4000 Years - Vol. 3 Ch. 189 - [Season 3 End]

Aggregator gang
Really mediocre to this point and its only getting worse. The motivations of the antagonists are shallow and most of the characters' reasonings are shallow. The slower paced chapters are built on comedy that falls short. There are too many unnecessary different kinds of power. There are essentially 7 kinds of magic (mana, divinity, demon summoning, spirit, shamanistic, divine mana, dragon abilities) and 5(6?) tiers of existences (demons, dragons, humans, demigods, god, and whatever this bs "divine" tier that lucas is supposedly entering). The problem with this is that it dilutes the world. demons and dragons have not been relevant 95% of the time. They don't feel like part of the world, they feel like something that exists to make the plot seem more complex. Out of the 5 archdukes we barely knew 2 of them before the recent chapters. Spirit magic has become completely irrelevant to the point that most people have probably forgotten it even exists. Characters often display characteristics that go against their prior characterization, such as Lucas walking away from Lord. Why the fuck would he do that? His entire motivation since ch 1 was to kill this guy and he just literally walks away from him and barely displays any animosity for the deaths of his friends.

I could write pages about all the things that have been wrong with this and give plenty of examples, but even blazing through these chapters was a waste of time. All in all, the writer threw a fuck load of ideas into the pot; character ideas, magic ideas, plot ideas, etc., and half of them have fallen by the wayside. There have been many contrived moments when characters have behaved in ways that don't make sense and I've pointed a few of those out in past comments. I find it hard to even care about the mc's progress because he doesn't account for minor details or bother to anticipate anything. He rarely has any kind of plan and he's never prepared. The plot just happens around him while people just show up to tell him things. god, lord, lucifer, ivan, ricky, shwei, the circles, etc. They just info dump on the mc then he info dumps onto other people while saying "we're gonna kill this guy" or "we're gonna find this guy". How? Who knows, just wait for someone to pop up that has the next bit of information we need.

At this point in the plot, it's getting pretty laughable with all the power stealing and betrayal with no coherent motivations.

Dex-chan lover
This was a really good read, don't know what the other dude is yapping about lol he should try writing a manwha if he can yap that much
I've enjoyed my time reading it, but Infinity577x does have a point that the powers are too diluted to even know who's using what anymore. The author should have just left it as Mana and Divinity, with the crux being combining the two. Which shouldn't have been some super body modification to do, humans just normally wouldn't have come into contact with divinity. This could have led into some world building of humans achieving some enlightenment and gaining the ability to use divinity on their own, and a few geniuses like Lucas could combine it with mana but it'd typically be like oil and water.

The other complaint I have is the constant "twists" the story was already good and instead of wiping out the Apocalypses mostly off screen, having them start to see the cracks in Lord's psyche like was hinted with Agni would have been enough. But now it's "he's good, he's bad, he's actually bad, but really he was good!" and most of this the actual characters don't see. No one, literally no one, except Iris, Dro, and Lucifer, were aware of Dro potentially being a bad guy. It was just for the readers to go "wait. Is he a bad guy?!?" and then "no he's a good guy!"

The story is good, it's a fun read, I'm loving the fights, but it does have problems.

Edit: i left out that mana being used to summon spirits and as part of the magic martial arts would be fine too. But they treat it as something separate entirely from being an X-Star Mage. Also, I'm fine with making contracts with demons if it was more relevant. Since you're borrowing a demons power it's separate from mana and divinity. Also also, the star rating has barely been relevant lately. I was finally happy they told us what stage Isabelle is at after over 150 chapters. No one's stage matters but Lucas's it seems.

Reactions: GK

Users who are viewing this thread