The Archmage's Restaurant - Ch. 13

Aggregator gang
Hello! I'm the QC for this series and I wanna thank all those that read our chapters! Raws release on TUESDAY KST and we release our translation a few minutes after, so if you wanna get updated as soon as that drops, please join our discord!

Dex-chan lover
Ah so he’s not dense just considerate

To be fair if we go off medieval life expectancy he’s lucky to make it past 60
except that's just not true, life expectancy throughout history was as low as it is not because people lived that much shorter lives but because well over half of everyone died in childbirth. Hence why life expectancy could be 40 years because most people would either die as a baby or make it to 80 or over.

This is also why life expectancy has increased to 80 largely by being able to keep babies alive more consistently. We don't actually live that much longer, a lot of people are now just getting to live those 80 years when just a hundred years ago they would've died days or hours after being born.

Dex-chan lover
Can someone explain to me what just happened in this chapter? I'm not good with human emotion.
New girl wants to fuck his mentor because daddy issues so she cooks for him in order to show her feelings. Dude feigns ignorance because it is awkward.

Dex-chan lover
except that's just not true, life expectancy throughout history was as low as it is not because people lived that much shorter lives but because well over half of everyone died in childbirth. Hence why life expectancy could be 40 years because most people would either die as a baby or make it to 80 or over.

This is also why life expectancy has increased to 80 largely by being able to keep babies alive more consistently. We don't actually live that much longer, a lot of people are now just getting to live those 80 years when just a hundred years ago they would've died days or hours after being born.
What kind of statistic reading is this? Why would you include infant mortality to avarage life expectancy lol. Did you just read the first article that came up in google? Life expectancy takes the median age for people actually lived past a certain age becuase babies are included in infart mortality not avarage life so they are not included. What a wierd way to approach it. Avarage life expentancy for a human being was 30-40 until early 18th century so the dude is competely correct if not over estimating.

Life expectancy has increased to 80 not becuase we managed to keep babies alive but becuase we managed to keep adults alive (also less local wars). Its like saying, if you manage to survive as a baby, you can live to 80 yo easyly in 1720s england lol.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
What kind of statistic reading is this? Why would you include infant mortality to average life expectancy lol. Did you just read the first article that came up in google? Life expectancy takes the median age for people actually lived past a certain age because babies are included in infant mortality not average life so they are not included. What a weird way to approach it. Average life expectancy for a human being was 30-40 until early 18th century so the dude is completely correct if not over estimating.

Life expectancy has increased to 80 not because we managed to keep babies alive but because we managed to keep adults alive (also less local wars). Its like saying, if you manage to survive as a baby, you can live to 80 yo easily in 1720s England lol.
Okay I kind of should have expected this because chose not to make my comment five times as long to talk about all this in detail, and fair enough I could have spent more time talking about how life expectancy throughout most of history is the way it is.

But the main argument is that people didn't age faster, they lived just as long as we did if their life wasn't cut short by illness or war. Like this guy here in this story is 42, and given his situation he's not going to die at age 60 because the average life expectancy is lower than in a modern society, he'll make it to probably well over 80 because he's in a place where he's not going to have to worry about food or illness. Which like yes fair enough I could have made clearer.

Dex-chan lover
Oh nvm i assumed it was immediately mutual. But i dont think this is bad progress.

This crown prince tho. Feels like bad news

Users who are viewing this thread