The Blue Eye of Horus: The Story of a Queen Dressed as a Man - Vol. 5 Ch. 22 - The queen dressed as a man

Dex-chan lover
As a history buff, I’ve long since accepted most historical fiction is more of an evocation of the facts than an accurate account.

There are some that I think go too far with their dramatic liberty or focus too much on one or two facets (The Patriot and Ridley Scott’s Napoleon do both and get my blood boiling), but at the end of it they at least have to engage my interest. Maybe because I’m not that interested in Egyptian history or I imagine its too hard to verify aspects or characters of the pharaohs, but I think this series presents a good chunk of history and adds enough elements to things that can’t be verified. That doesn’t mean it’ll keep this balance throughout, but I’ll continue following it until the end.

Group Leader
There are some that I think go too far with their dramatic liberty or focus too much on one or two facets (The Patriot and Ridley Scott’s Napoleon do both and get my blood boiling)
Yeah, I was thinking about Ridley Scott's Napoleon in fact...for example the scene where he shows the french army shooting their artillery right on a pyramid, when that never happened in reality! The spectacularization of history isn't something inherently bad, but it has to be done wisely. Or you can do like Alexander Senki, which was only loosely based on the story of Alexander the Great, since it was basically a fantasy anime.

Dex-chan lover
I actually would love a more accurate depiction of Hatshepsut's story. It wouldn't be boring at all. Real-like Hatshepsut was a shrewd schemer, not naive and sheltered like this manga makes her out to be. When she was still a child, her father Thutmose I appointed her God's Wife of Amun, the highest-ranking priestess in the cult of Amun. Hatshepsut took advantage of that key position to bring the cult of Amun to her side. So, contrary to what this manga would make you believe, the priests of Amun weren't her enemies; they were her biggest supporters, and they were instrumental in her rise to power. All this is missing from this manga.

After Hatshepsut became pharaoh, she couldn't hold the position of God's Wife of Amun anymore, so she appointed her daughter Neferure as God's Wife of Amun because she needed someone she could trust in that key position. That's also missing in the manga. Additionally, there is no evidence that Neferure was ever supposed to marry Thutmose III.

That been said, it is accurate that when Hatshepsut became pharaoh, Neferure took the queenly role. She was given the titles Lady of Upper and Lower Egypt and Mistress of the Lands. Titles that belonged to Hatshepsut before becoming pharaoh.

Users who are viewing this thread