The Day I Decided to Make My Cheeky Gyaru Sister Understand in My Own Way - Ch. 3 - Day 2

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the TL

seriously though, little bro giving off James Gordon Jr. vibes

Thank you for the translation, it's actually a much better read, than the other ones.
It annoyed me immensely that even the "good" one alternated between not understanding context, or outright making up lines, at times. Some critical character-defining lines got outright dropped in all that BS.

Group Leader
For someone who clearly has a good grasp of the context and goes for a natural script, why didn't you go with "mom told me to bring you some porridge"?
That left me confused as everything else was pretty much spot on.

For someone who clearly has a good grasp of the context and goes for a natural script, why didn't you go with "mom told me to bring you some porridge"?
That left me confused as everything else was pretty much spot on.
I generally like to keep the native names for food dishes, since they're both easily searchable, if you're not already clued into what they are, but also they're used in their own specific cultural context.

Sure, I could say "Porridge", but there's more than one kind of porridge. Sure, I could clarify Rice Porridge, but there's more than one kind of Rice Porridge. When they say "Okayu", they mean a specific kind of Rice Porridge from Japan. Which is obvious, if you think about it, but you can imagine someone thinking "Ohhh, so the Japanese eat Wheat Porridge too!!", or "Oh, they eat Congee too! Why didn't he just say Congee?!". Think of it as a bit of an initiation.

As for the "The", well... they only made it for her; That's probably all of it.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
So instead of him making her "understand" like what most of us were dreading, he wanted to make her understand instead.

Thank you for the translation.

Dex-chan lover
Sooooo after all the preaching about how much of a hack the author is you go and translate their work? Intradasding.

Dex-chan lover
I generally like to keep the native names for food dishes, since they're both easily searchable, if you're not already clued into what they are, but also they're used in their own specific cultural context.
This is fair enough, but a footnote / TL note wouldn't have gone amiss in a case like this. Having to stop and do an internet search takes the reader out of the work - and you can't really trust Google results anymore (first result I got said it was pickled plum - some AI shit).

Dex-chan lover
Yeah this translation is way easier to follow, thanks for that. I hope this series resolves soon enough so this art can be put to a concept without baggage, if the fanbox is popular then ah well.

This is fair enough, but a footnote / TL note wouldn't have gone amiss in a case like this. Having to stop and do an internet search takes the reader out of the work - and you can't really trust Google results anymore (first result I got said it was pickled plum - some AI shit).
You remember the time when you could put a term into a search bar and get what you were looking for? Pepperidge Farm remembers. That said, I got what I was looking for using DDG, and Google, after putting "Lugaw" one one of those annoying info widgets, did ultimately give me Okayu from the second result onward. Can you know us what you're seeing?

I'll keep the TL note in mind for these things, though.

Dex-chan lover
You remember the time when you could put a term into a search bar and get what you were looking for? Pepperidge Farm remembers. That said, I got what I was looking for using DDG, and Google, after putting "Lugaw" one one of those annoying info widgets, did ultimately give me Okayu from the second result onward. Can you know us what you're seeing?

I'll keep the TL note in mind for these things, though.
Why are you using a search engine you don't trust? Startpage, you, and duckduckgo are a few popular alternatives (you could even try bing). There are a lot of other options too.

Dex-chan lover
How long until another 20 pages argument in the comment section starts, place your bets

Users who are viewing this thread