The Duchess' 50 Tea Recipes - Ch. 14

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
Chocolate and caramel tea with milk?! Now that might be the first time ever in my entire life where i've developed interest in tea. I need to taste it.

Dex-chan lover
@Sparkletime @ghusjil she's not putting milk in tea, she's making milk tea, something that is different. It is done in many Asian countries (if you add a mix of spices, you get the form that has come to the West as "Chai", although the word "Chai" actually just means tea.)

It's a different process. You make a super-strong tea (like she said), filter out the leaves, then dilute it with scalded milk (it doesn't curdle because you have brought it near boiling in a separate vessel, or "scalded" it, first). Although the author has gotten a ton of other things about tea wrong in this story, this thing is quite correct.

(I've heard there is also a method in which you actually brew the tea in the milk, but I've never confirmed this.)

Yeah, you have to wash the pot right afterwards, or it will start smelling like spoiled milk. Actually, I think it's normally not done in a traditional teapot but in a vessel that's easier to clean.

Bahahaha people in the comment section being confused about milk tea is my new favourite thing.

And no, milk tea or "chai" as we call it, won't stain your teapots, and neither will taste weird. Take it from me, who drinks chai twice every day

Contributor
Finally something I could actually be enthusiastic about drinking XD

The hell is wrong with the maid's mouth on page 19 panel 22, she looks like a murderous clown, or just a madman in general, her mouth is the size of her entire face

Users who are viewing this thread