The Duke of Death and His Maid

There is totally going to be some condition or vague prophecy-esque explanation about how he has to "kill" the one he truly loves to break the curse.

Contributor
You realize that the poor Duke has to have one helluva bad case of blueballs by now...

Dex-chan lover
Dude can still just touch any of the witches and instantly kill them so he has that at least.

Dex-chan lover
NO)OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

This comment broke the page so I'm putting it in spoilers

-Zeph

Is Alice's mother dead?? And wasn't she a witch?? Maybe she's the one who put the curse on the Duke? Or asked a witch to do it for some reasons?

Dex-chan lover
The pendant photo was probably because the author was tired of people saying how the mother was probably the witch that cursed the duke.
Point is until we don't have proof outright denying the thing she will be it for me.
Cursing the duke so the family would abandon him and her daughter would be together with her childhood love and dying before explaing the curse or something would fit, or the maid is immune to the touch of death but with years of building a habit they always avoided it.
The witch knowing the mother, the mother and the witch gone,the maid not being scarredfrom witches and the curse...

Group Leader
Calling it:
Alice's mother is a witch, the one with the skull mask. But she is not the one who cursed the Duke.
Time will tell if I'm correct.

Call me Crazy but
I think it was His Mother cause from what i can tell is he had the Curse after he met Alice, now i know the skull lady said that the witch is dead but we were not told how just that she died because she was a prodigy at magic. What if she cursed him in a fit of jealousy and was so ashamed of what she did she "killed" her witch self
sounds crazy but its what ive been thinking

@TheMonSun Nothing too crazy about it. Readers have postulated about every single character being the witch, only exception being the Duke.

Whether it is the particular character you are talking about will likely be revealed in the future. Or it might not, since the story is about dealing with the curse more so than exacting revenge.

Contributor
It's fascinating to think about how different the tone of the story would be if it had opened with this most recent arc (The three chapters of "Reminiscence" ), instead of with their day-to-day hijinks.

I like it better like this, I think, mind. First impressions of the duke as slightly brooding, alternating between sorrowfully optimistic and childishly crestfallen, were much more interesting for someone in his condition than the much more expected, wretchedly angry and sad state we find him in in the past.

@Pokari I think by beginning the story's exposition with light, fluffy romcom tones, the author establishes a tonal foundation for the manga: that the Duke and Alice will be together in the end and we'll get our happy ending. If it was to begin in other ways and then modulate to fluffy, lightheartedness midway, I wouldn't be so sure about a happy ending.

Imo happy endings are always better than tragic endings, especially when we've grown so attached to the characters.

Users who are viewing this thread