The Emperor's New Clothes - Oneshot

Group Leader
px2culg.png

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I don't get it, what's in the photo??? Also one thing I never understood about this story is why you would want every idiot in the town to be able to see you naked, is the king an exhibitionist that only wants idiots to look at him?
The story serves more as an idiom for “logical fallacies”. Everyone, including the King, mistakenly believes everyone else see the clothes. They fear that pointing out the fact would brand them as an idiot. Simply, everyone fears to be not of the general opinion.

Dex-chan lover
The story serves more as an idiom for “logical fallacies”. Everyone, including the King, mistakenly believes everyone else see the clothes. They fear that pointing out the fact would brand them as an idiot. Simply, everyone fears to be not of the general opinion.
That's all well and good, but it still doesn't explain why the king doesn't care if idiots see him naked. Did he have that much trust in the fact that every single person around him would be intelligent? Seems like the king really was an idiot after all to me.

Contributor
That's all well and good, but it still doesn't explain why the king doesn't care if idiots see him naked. Did he have that much trust in the fact that every single person around him would be intelligent? Seems like the king really was an idiot after all to me.
It's not that he doesn't care. He just doesn't want to out himself as incompetent to anyone (by admitting he can't see it), including the woman giving the clothes, so he's bluffing that he can see it (the "not bad~" line), AND created a reversal of the situation by making her put on the clothes in his stead. I don't think a king would readily admit their incompetence to anyone. Doing that is a good way to get yourself overthrown or assassinated.

Based on the fact that she is embarrassed (the implication is that she knows she'd be seen naked), means she is likely also incompetent and cannot see (but she can feel) what she is holding.

There's just a lot of reading between the lines going on in this one page.

Dex-chan lover
It's not that he doesn't care. He just doesn't want to out himself as incompetent to anyone (by admitting he can't see it), including the woman giving the clothes, so he's bluffing that he can see it (the "not bad~" line), AND created a reversal of the situation by making her put on the clothes in his stead. I don't think a king would readily admit their incompetence to anyone. Doing that is a good way to get yourself overthrown or assassinated.

Based on the fact that she is embarrassed (the implication is that she knows she'd be seen naked), means she is likely also incompetent and cannot see (but she can feel) what she is holding.

There's just a lot of reading between the lines going on in this one page.
Well yeah, this king is smart, but I was talking about the king in the original tale, even if he didn't want to be exposed as an idiot or whatever, he still could have just said "I don't want to be seen naked by every idiotic person in my kingdom" and nobody but a pervert would be against that decision.

Dex-chan lover
Well yeah, this king is smart, but I was talking about the king in the original tale, even if he didn't want to be exposed as an idiot or whatever, he still could have just said "I don't want to be seen naked by every idiotic person in my kingdom" and nobody but a pervert would be against that decision.
This assumption relies on the King living in an age where underwear was yet to be invented. The notion of potential nudity exists here because it's a gag manga and the villain is presented as a woman.

Dex-chan lover
This assumption relies on the King living in an age where underwear was yet to be invented. The notion of potential nudity exists here because it's a gag manga and the villain is presented as a woman.
I consider being in only underwear to be pretty naked, if I went outside in just underwear I would be arrested for indecent exposure. Would YOU go around in just your underwear? Also there are some Japanese outfits for women that don't have underwear underneath them, so she might be wearing one of those. Also in the original tale I don't think it mentions the king having underwear, I think he just literally goes outside naked like an idiot.

Aggregator gang
Not every story is about the cleverest or most upright one could be in a situation. People do all sorts of terribly farcical things just to obey a lesser farce all the time.

Dex-chan lover
Not every story is about the cleverest or most upright one could be in a situation. People do all sorts of terribly farcical things just to obey a lesser farce all the time.
No idea what you said at the end, but yeah I know that not every protagonist is going to be 200 IQ mega genius, I'm just pointing out the fact that the king in the original tale has room temperature IQ because of how many logical flaws there are with clothes invisible to only idiots.

Dex-chan lover
I consider being in only underwear to be pretty naked, if I went outside in just underwear I would be arrested for indecent exposure. Would YOU go around in just your underwear? Also there are some Japanese outfits for women that don't have underwear underneath them, so she might be wearing one of those. Also in the original tale I don't think it mentions the king having underwear, I think he just literally goes outside naked like an idiot.
While yes, going in underwear only IS considered indecent exposure, it protects more of your dignity than full nudity. We do not see all swimmers as nudists, do you? The king is not Japanese, you should recall that this is a European story at least. If you do not recall the tale explicitly stating that he is naked either, then we have reached an impasse due to interpretation.

Either way, I do know that the story ends with a kid pointing out that the king isn't wearing his fancy new clothes during a parade, and being that kids don't share as serious responsibility as court attendants or soldiers in medieval, the King acknowledges his mistake in being swindled over something that doesn't exist and rewards the child for his honesty. That's how it went in a picture book I read as a kid.

Dex-chan lover
While yes, going in underwear only IS considered indecent exposure, it protects more of your dignity than full nudity. We do not see all swimmers as nudists, do you? The king is not Japanese, you should recall that this is a European story at least. If you do not recall the tale explicitly stating that he is naked either, then we have reached an impasse due to interpretation.

Either way, I do know that the story ends with a kid pointing out that the king isn't wearing his fancy new clothes during a parade, and being that kids don't share as serious responsibility as court attendants or soldiers in medieval, the King acknowledges his mistake in being swindled over something that doesn't exist and rewards the child for his honesty. That's how it went in a picture book I read as a kid.
First off, swimmers are 90% naked and people treat it as if it's perfectly normal just because they want to stare at naked guys/girls. Secondly, the woman in this one shot is Japanese, isn't she? And that's who I was referring to when I said some Japanese WOMENS clothes don't have underwear underneath. The king isn't a woman, is he? Didn't think so, pay attention. Also whilst I don't remember the book, the cartoon I saw portrayed the king as being completely naked, not a shred of cloth on him. As for the rest of your comment yeah that's pretty much how it goes.

Dex-chan lover
First off, swimmers are 90% naked and people treat it as if it's perfectly normal just because they want to stare at naked guys/girls. Secondly, the woman in this one shot is Japanese, isn't she? And that's who I was referring to when I said some Japanese WOMENS clothes don't have underwear underneath. The king isn't a woman, is he? Didn't think so, pay attention. Also whilst I don't remember the book, the cartoon I saw portrayed the king as being completely naked, not a shred of cloth on him. As for the rest of your comment yeah that's pretty much how it goes.
If YOU want to stare at naked people, they still have nudist beaches in Europe lol, I just want to swim with a reasonable amount of hydrodynamics. As goofy as this discussion was, I am glad to have had it and wish I could shake your hand despite our differences. Good day.

Aggregator gang
No idea what you said at the end, but yeah I know that not every protagonist is going to be 200 IQ mega genius, I'm just pointing out the fact that the king in the original tale has room temperature IQ because of how many logical flaws there are with clothes invisible to only idiots.
Okay, simpler terms. The emperor's foolishness takes nothing away from the usefulness of the tale, because people are exactly that foolish for many of the same reasons all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread