The Fantasie of a Stepmother - Vol. 1 Ch. 52 - Guardian (11)

Fed-Kun's army
Omg! So the uncle was about to say why johanne chose shulli as his wife but the empress stopped him! I didn't understand this in the previous translation I was so confused. And I'm guessing it has something to do with her looking like the empress? Interesting
Oh and the panels with noah saying he wants to be by her side even in the future, are also worded better than the previous translation! It made me go all uwu T^T

Group Leader
WTF all that shit for no reason, legit if u cut these few chaps out u would never realise thir was a part missing from the story. Just wtf, felt like a waste of 8 chapters, felt like they just wanted to make it longer.. sigh, I was looking foward to what would happen after 8 chapters of finally reaching the climax and they just dismiss eveything without any hate or anything. Sigh, I'm so dissipointed that I kinda wanna stop this at once.

Dex-chan lover
@demon946
WTF all that shit for no reason, legit if u cut these few chaps out u would never realise thir was a part missing from the story. Just wtf, felt like a waste of 8 chapters, felt like they just wanted to make it longer.. sigh, I was looking foward to what would happen after 8 chapters of finally reaching the climax and they just dismiss eveything without any hate or anything. Sigh, I'm so dissipointed that I kinda wanna stop this at once.

Bruh it wasn't for no reason, that's not a fair assessment. It was all complicated politics with many different motives going on. In this case it ended abruptly because the Empress saw that Shuli was willing to give up whatever she had gained in marriage to protect the children & the family, showing her rightful place as mother of the family. That was the entire point of the arch, to show the different characters and motives like in allowing Jeremy's relatives to put their hatred of Shuli aside for Jeremy's sake just to name one example.

That's sometimes how court cases go too, they kinda just... end.

This chapter was satisfying on so many levels.

@demon946
On the contrary, the finale of the trial gave me shivers of excitement because the resolution was in no way final or peaceful. There is still a knot of mysteries and past relationships to be unraveled bit by bit. The empress got really scared of what the count was going to say, and Nora's father seemed to know what was going on too. But even not taking the plot into account, in these chapters we saw some important thoughts and revelations that flesh out the characters and are driving their development. That's exactly why I love this manhwa so much: for the very detailed and convincing portrayal of people with completely different personalities and motives. Real personalities that don't feel like cardboard templates - a rare enough occurrence.

Fed-Kun's army
@rdirf I love this manwha for the same reason as well. There is a lot of complexity and messy details like very real relationships. Everything that MC says and does is genuinely believable to be impressive and bold unlike the vast vast majority of other works.

That's why good translations is key to this series. Dialogue carries a lot of weight here because if you miss a sentence you can get completely lost.

I thought that the marriage think was going to be overlook because a lot of isekais forget their characters background at the beginning frankly. It's interesting to see how a detail at the beginning of the series carries weight this deep into the story.

@f0xhunt So true. I agree that translation is especially important for this series. When some parts are difficult to understand, I get more and more motivation to learn Korean and read the original, plus the novel.

Dex-chan lover
The one thing they dont want known is how similar shuli looks to the dead empress..... why? Who was the dead empress for her mere likeness to cause such intense reactions?

damn that creepy dead fish eye cardinal!!

the character development in this series is off the CHARTS. also...does this mean the marquess was in love with the first empress......?

The late empress is such a powerful argument that can make the current empress to back off 😯

@dis0414 I don't know why he specifically sought her out from the countryside (it may be related to how Shuli is almost an exact copy of the late empress) but the Marquess needed someone who was fit to take care of the household after he is gone. Although he did have his son Jeremy, he saw that his own son had flaws and was not fit to take charge over the household. So, instead he took in Shuli.

Users who are viewing this thread