The Flower That Was Bloomed by a Cloud - Ch. 44

I was feeling the teensiest semblance of pity for dowun for a while, but nah, he's trash.
Good thing Lyon can atleast see through his BS when he'll try to mess with Best Boy.

She feels strangled without freedom T.T

Also baekhan being a righteous boy, trying to keep distance but Lyon is not having any of it.

@papperless Speaking for myself, I want her to end up with Dowun because it's her best chance at literally having a life. I also don't view romantic love as the only way to have a fulfilling and happy life.

But another big part is because I want to continue to think better of Lyon. She stood up to Dowun in this chapter and I love that she felt strong enough to do that. On the other hand, I want to see that she has enough foresight to effectively weigh the pros and cons of her decisions. Right now, it doesn't matter how sweet he acts towards her. Baek Han is still a very flippant and foolish choice. They are attracted to each other but do not actually know each other. That means they've built up an ideal of each other in their minds. As Dowun said, things easily built are easily destroyed. Then where would that leave her if she pushes a relationship with him? Powerless and alone. Maybe I need to suspend belief better, though.

And, for the record, I don't see Dowun as loving her currently or as ever being passionate and romantic towards her. I do think there's potential there for a kind of love to begin to exist, though.

Omg! I hope his move is to go rot. Let's establish democracy and elect a new leader who is not part of this plot. Let Lyon go live out in the countryside with Baek Han lmao

@cassandra827 idk maybe you're too biased towards Dowun, it's clear as day that Lyon definitely doesn't feel happy to the slightest even after got all that status & luxury, she comparing herself to Lady Peony (the girl in this story that had a tragic end), when talking to lil bro she felt wretched and she admitted that she did this only to survive to Baek Han.

Romantic love ofc is not the only way to have a happy life but having status and luxury are not the one either, if she pushes her relationship with Baek further it'll come to realization that those thing like status & luxury are pointless, they could go off somewhere else as ordinary people, that ending is available as well.

And no, she didn't even stand up for Dowun, there's no such thing, Baek was the one who chose to distance himself to Lyon, Lyon didn't stand up for anyone, she only asked Dowun to do his job, that's all. I agree having relationship to Baek right now is kinda stupid on her part, but that's not because they did not know each other, it's bad because of rumor, but there's nothing wrong with that because Dowun himself said he didn't care if Lyon loved someone else, so if Dowun's brain is functioning he shouldn't be a hypocrite himself to not allowing them. How did they not know each other? Baek was a selfless guy for saving her when she was powerless, because of his kindness a lot of people speculating a death flag for him.

@papperless I didn't say happiness with Dowun would be guaranteed. I said that he guaranteed her actually living. She would have to be very clever at hiding if she tried to leave her royal life. Whether personal or not, her successor would want her dead to get a firm grasp on the throne. You don't want former supporters hoping that she'll come back or to risk an heir from the old royal line suddenly appearing another twenty years later. I agree that it doesn't come from status or luxury either. But to become an ordinary person means going to a state that's worse off than how she began as a child. Do you really think that's possible for Lyon? Dowun stated that he chose her because she was starved for recognition and power. She acknowledged this as her guiding motivation for the throne. That isn't going to go away easily.

I think you misread something I typed. I said she stood up to him. She made her decision based on something she wanted despite the logic behind his point. Then she told him to do his job (which was a very subtle reminder that he can bring punishment on himself, too).

I stand by my reasoning about her not knowing Baek. We know more about him than she does because we've seen a few snippets involving him that she wasn't present for. But just for fun, we don't know him either. What is his story before his adoption? Why is he selfless? How did he end up the clan's leader at such a young age? What are his other characteristics besides selflessness?

@cassandra827 Your naration for Lyon is actually more suited for Dowun, Lyon never starved for recognition and power, if she was, she won't even felt miserable or felt so done with Dowun right now. She did this only to survive, she admitted it to herself and Baek Han. It's never about power, she just want to get out of her former place and starving for love thus why she turned to Baek Han. Ofc it's very possible for her to life as ordinary, she's always be when she was a child plus right now she got a proper education and calm attitude, she definitely will be able to life out there.

Im really sorry, it seems like i missread, nope Baek Han is not a clan leader, he is just happen to be a strongest swordsman in their clan, Dowun said he didn't have huge influence in his clan (chapter 26), he is in palace because he's favored by Lyon. He's selfless because he's a good guy lol. His past might have been the same as Lyon because Baek felt sympathy towards her as having the same expression as him, before adopted into Baek clan, but his past is certainly interesting to be told.

Group Leader
@cassandra827 you might not think romantic love is needed for a fulfilling life, but lyon does. She craves it and bark seems to be giving it to her. She cant have a happy fufiing life with dowun. He cant give her what she really wants

@cassandra827

I stand by my reasoning about her not knowing Baek. We know more about him than she does because we've seen a few snippets involving him that she wasn't present for. But just for fun, we don't know him either. What is his story before his adoption? Why is he selfless? How did he end up the clan's leader at such a young age? What are his other characteristics besides selflessness?
Even though he's gotten twice the amount of screentime Baek Han has had thus far we don't know much about Dowun either. What kind of childhood did he have before meeting Lyon? What was he doing while she was away? What kind of shady business did he and his father partake in to get her to the throne? Why does he want power this badly? Why is he so adamant about having a loveless marriage? Does he actually like Lyon or is he repressing his feelings?

All we know about him is that he is extremely smart and emotionally unavailable. I'm sure he's never shared his reasons with Lyon either.

Putting their love life aside, there are other hurdles in their relationship, like the power imbalance. She's very dissatisfied with the fact that she's the queen, but her subjects think his orders are above hers, not to mention all the decisions he makes without consulting her beforehand.

Also, loveless or not, I can't see their relationship working because they lack trust in each other. She knows he's hiding things from her and probably thinks he'll get rid of her the moment she stops being useful, and he... well, he doesn't trust anyone.

The thing with Baek Han is Dowun's own fault for not understanding Lyon fully. He apparently projected and thought she would become a carbon copy of him, but ultimately power and recognition weren't enough for her. I'm not gonna deny she wanted those (after all, getting bothered that people would sooner follow Dowun's orders rather than hers is proof of that), but she also wanted someone to care for her without ulterior motives.

Putting the love triangle aside once more, I think the story's given enough hints that Baek Han is essential for her survival as well. You could argue that she's got other bodyguards, but the author made it so that his fighting skills are unparalleled. Besides, he'd take a bullet for her, which I doubt the other bodyguards would do, especially the one that has the hots for Dowun lol

I'd say she needs both Baek Han and Dowun to guarantee her survival, because they're the best at what they do.

Haha, yay me for stirring up discussion just by answering why I root for Dowun over Baek. 😀

@papperless
You are free to decide how you want to interpret motives and personality based on what you read. We disagree, obviously, but I won't try to claim you are wrong. Part of the fun in this story is trying to guess at everything that is hidden in each character. I think we're finally at a place in the story where Lyon can start to show more of who she is, though. So far she has done a lot of reacting to situations, mainly just to preserve her life. The next few chapters should be fun.

However, I do think the granny that Baek asked Lyon to spare did seem to imply that he was the head of his clan. I'm not sure which chapter that is to go double-check.

@theilikepie Once again, I said I wanted her to be with Dowun because it's her greatest guarantee at life. You can't find happiness anywhere if you are dead. If you live, though, your ideas of what makes you happy can shift as time passes.

@mukade I appreciate your attention to detail and speculation. I actually agree with a lot of what you've outlined. There's a lot of room for character growth in this story. I would love if Baek and Dowun were both advisors, but that doesn't work if he's supposed to be a romantic lead (which is the context of this discussion).

The part that I disagree with you about is that Dowun's character is unknown. We may not know all the details, but Lyon spent a lot of time with him off screen for a few years as he taught her and trained her. While she will not know everything, it's inevitable that she knows nothing of who he is. I also think he has demonstrated trust in her. He gave her free reign for an important part of their plan when he let her leave for a few years. It was an idiotic decision because he's so bad at reading her emotions. BUT If he didn't trust her to do well then he would have stopped her.

I also think that we've seen some of the power balance shift towards Lyon already. After she flattered him with that whole "you're the only one who has made me changed line," piles of scrolls begin to show up on her desk. These scenes appear to show her being interrupted as she is in the process of marking them with her orders. This chapter shows scrolls that are lacking Dowun's mark and he picks one up as if he is reviewing her work. He could have been looking for an execution order, of course, but there were several options and he only checked one. The odds were not going to be in his favor on that one.

@cassandra827 well ofc, expecially in Dowun's case which still a total mystery, idk where's your interpretation of Lyon coming from but one thing for sure, she doesn't seem satisfied with what she has and currently facing a lot of nightmares for what she had done.

Well about Baek that doesn't sound convincing, the granny didn't say anything about his status, it's just your interpretation, but Dowun already made it clear Baek didn't have huge influence in his clan as in chapter 26.

@papperless I don't want to go through chapter by chapter to point out evidence of why I interpret Lyon this way. I do agree that she is unhappy at the moment. However, that doesn't mean she won't learn contentment.

I am aware of Dowun's statement. However, I just rechecked 24 and the granny definitely told Baek that the clan would never recover their honor if "the clan's successor was executed for treason." Maybe the writer forgot or something just didn't translate well. When Dowun originally stated that Baek didn't have a lot of influence, I thought it might be a chance for more story development or backstory. I'm starting to doubt that was the writer's intention, though.

Users who are viewing this thread