The Former Structural Analyst's Otherworldly Adventure Story - Vol. 2 Ch. 12

Dex-chan lover
@Red225 - it's not about superpowers. After you die and are resurrected, you stop taking things seriously.
I'm sure you've seen it - "how do I make money? I know, I'm going to fight deadly monsters for small change! That sounds totally fun!"

Dex-chan lover
For once, it’s not the lolicon who got arrested but the loli herself. Alas, she escaped...

Fed-Kun's army
So the barter skill is supposed to require consent from both parties, however there was never any consent when the saintess role was taken... If the skill doesn't require any sort of actual understanding or acknowledgement of what's being traded, then it isn't a "barter" skill at all, but a pure theft and swindle skill. Also, how in the F#$% was she supposed to use the barter skill on monsters (to trade away her miasma) when the skill is supposed to require consent from both parties?!

The "gods" are incompetent on so many levels it's honestly near impossible to acknowledge them as gods and not some divine overworked intern still learning how things work. This seems to be yet another example, of "Our MC is supposed to be smart, but acts like an idiot. Let's make other people that are supposed to be smart even stupider so MC can become smart by comparison!".

The average temperature at 12k meters up is less than -50 degrees celsius (-58F), at freefall (terminal velocity) speed, she's falling at ~120mph. Considering her clothing and body mass, her limbs would start freezing almost immediately. Her making a cute little shield in front of her is a joke as it would no next to nothing to change her situation. Her problem isn't wind in her face, it's the blood instantly freezing in her veins.

If the villain's soul is "pure", then thank actual gods (not these pathetic pretenders) that such souls are exceedingly rare.

Dex-chan lover
...why did they suddenly pull a moshuko tensei? reset-arcs like gunota's slave arcs are the worst :/

@frungy they said monsters didn't need to give consent.
And the consent-issue you describe is on a faulty understanding (or I am reading too much into a plot-hole): the barter skill was meant to work as you expect but was poorly worded, making it such that it only needs consent, not consent for the actual trade it tries to perform.. So while anyone reading the barter skill thinks it implies consent for the relevant trade, the gods messed up and it is enough as long as the targeted party consents to anything at all. Most likely doesn't even have to be anything relating to the skill-holder, would probably be enough that they had consented going to the church in the first place, or if during the curry-dinner they consent to eating the food/having ppl eat their food.

And wouldn't the sudden change in air-pressure be a bigger issue?

Fed-Kun's army
@feha I guess I missed it if there were exceptions for barter with monsters vs humans, though given the extreme shoddiness of the skill in general I'm sure pretty much anything goes at this point.

Yeah, the massive drop in atmospheric pressure and oxygen content would be another pair of massive issues. In general, it's impossible for humans to survive at any altitude above 6km without external support due to low atmospheric pressure and oxygen content. Due to the mechanics of how breathing/lungs function, breathing itself becomes impossible. This is why many people who climb the worlds tallest mountains often use oxygen tanks near the peaks.

Extremely low atmospheric pressure (at 12km pressure is 1/5th of sea level) causes a second problem in that without it, your body immediately expands and swells, and at these elevations, causing a host of crippling physical complications, many of which are either lethal or result in permanent bodily damage.

Of course, the biggest problem of all here is the fact that all these changes happen INSTANTLY. The body can slowly adapt to many things, but going from normal temperatures/atmospheric pressures/oxygen levels to 12km levels all at once? This instant change would make everything happen in an explosive way. Your eyes and ears would burst, all the air in your lungs would be explosively ripped out like a popped balloon, and the body would instantly swell up like a soggy sponge. In short, it would be a horrific instant death scene.

So yeah, her first action of making a small direction shield is very laughable response to her predicament.

Dex-chan lover
@frungy @feha
Although the consequences of explosive decompression are indeed severe, instant death is highly unlikely, even in a vacuum.

There have been enough real life cases of explosive decompression at high altitude that we generally know what to expect. Airplanes routinely fly between 10 and 13 km high, so getting tossed into midair at that altitude is not unlike being tossed out of an airplane.

If she had exhaled right before teleporting, she would not likely suffer any lung damage. Her eyes would be fine, though her ears might suffer damage. If she were a normal human, she could expect 15 to 20 seconds of consciousness at 12000 m.

There is real life precedent for surviving a similar fall. Vesna Vulovic was a stewardess aboard JAT flight 367 when it exploded at an altitude of 10,160 m. Hitting the snowy mountainside at an angle is considered one of the contributing factors in her survival, a similar landing situation to our protagonist. Vulovic did suffer serious injuries and was the only person to survive the fall though, so making a magical cushion/shield isn't a bad idea in this case.

Dex-chan lover
Clearly how pretty a soul is does not reflects on the person's character. Dumb gods.

Dex-chan lover
@icekatze I never said it would be an instant death. Was mostly referring to mountain sickness, and implying that this is likely way worse and might reach levels akin to a diver not stopping at 10-meter intervals (ie. the exhalation issue you mention. And obviously the bursting of eardrums).
And while I didn't mention it, I do however also suspect that she is very likely to black out rather quickly in this situation (not to mention going fuzzyheaded before that). Unsure how fast or how long, but would be surprised if it didn't happen before she fell into more reasonable pressures.

Dex-chan lover
@feha
Unfortunately, mangadex's comments feature is pretty rudimentary, so it's hard to properly organize replies. The instant death comment was referring to something frungy had asserted. Didn't mean to make it sound like I was putting words in your mouth.

I did note loss of consciousness as an issue. But I can go ahead and cite my sources: FAA Advisory Circular 61-107B Particularly figure 2-3.

Various air forces have done lots of tests on their hapless pilots with regards to decompression. Some people maintain a limited consciousness that they don't remember afterwards, some black out entirely. Based on what I've read, the time it takes to regain consciousness varies a lot, and there's usually a period of drunkenness or tunnel vision before consciousness fully returns. Someone might regain consciousness at 3000 meters, or they might not regain consciousness at all before impact.

I suppose if the whole conversation with the gods was happening in a pure oxygen environment, that might count as prebreathing exercises enough to avoid some of the dangers of decompression sickness.

Double-page supporter
"Sorry, we are gods, but we can't teleport, which apparently easy enough that even puny humans able to do...

Oh, but i have an idea! I'll just make you into fucking god too, so you can take care of it yourself! What a great plan!"

Solid logic.

She is a beautiful soul.

Yo, you sure about that? She seems to be the most corrupt piece of poo there is.

I facepalmed so hard when she said no to become a god.
Because the whole "I can't connect with my family"-thing was as far as I remember never brought up at all. Also everyone treats her like the second coming of Christus already, so I highly doubt her gaining even more power would make a difference. Plus no one forces her to use her powers. Just don't use them and you won't feel alienated. Instead of having MC reject the offer for stupid reasons, the author could have just scrapped this part.
And how the hell did Isabelle manage to escape? Are you telling me no one took away her belongings or looked for weapons on her body?
And let's not get started on how utterly incompetent the gods are. It is a miracle this world hasn't been destroyed by now.
And lastly: If Isabelle has several teleport stones, then why can't the gods not just give MC one?

Users who are viewing this thread