The Gender of Mona Lisa - Vol. 3 Ch. 16 - Photograph

Dex-chan lover
I think it's probably their(Hinase's) Mom. Those blue eyes are same as their.

its either a person related to Hinase by blood or a person who is also genderless

Dex-chan lover
Twist: Every genderless person looks like hinase.

Dex-chan lover
what gets me about this is that it’s set in a society that you’d get if you took our current society and changed that one thing, not in a society that would happen if that was how things had been the whole time. I don’t think we’d consider things to be nearly so gendered if it was something you picked as you grew up.

Dex-chan lover
It's funny how in a society that let you choose your sex it still subscribes to such strict notions of gender roles.

Dex-chan lover
@zips & @NinjaGoemon: In my opinion, you both are taking it backwards: it's because you can choose gender that their gender roles are so defined.
If you like girly things or you feel like a girl, you can become a girl. Same-wise with boys and boyish things. They don't have to face the awkward questions of gender roles or identity not matching their biological gender because they can choose.
Think of it in RPG terms, if you are more confortable: if you want to smack things with a ponity stick, you become a warrior; if you want to support and heal others you become a priest. But it's weird if a warrior wants to stay in the back and buff others while a priest is an the forefront killing things. There are times where you have hybrid classes, but that's not an option here.
Of course, it's not that simple (homosexuality would still be a thing, and as Hinase shows non-binaries are in for a lot of angst), but I think that it's that biological quirk that made shat society have their gender roles so ironclad.

Dex-chan lover
@Porg
EVERYTIME I DO, IT MAKES ME LAUGH
HOW DID ARE EYES GET SO RED?
AND WHAT THE HELL IS ON JOEY'S HEAD?

Fed-Kun's army
So their interests are developed completely independantly of any gender-related factors, and yet certain interests are still assigned gendered connotations after the fact? Seems a little strange, but maybe the fact that gender stereotypes are arbitrary and unfair is just the point they're trying to make. Or maybe I'm giving them too much credit.

That said, I'm completely unfamiliar with this "art is for girls" stereotype. Is that a Japan thing? What a concept.

Fed-Kun's army
@FioreFire yeah it's just different everywhere. I've been bullied for being artsy. It's not a Japanese thing

Ah, looking at the extra drawings, I think that person on the train is Hinase's Doctor.

Also, as for the gender roles things, while true that this manga is kinda 'this society but one things different' for something that is changed of this magnitude, it would be too alien to us to relate to us in anyway if such a thing was shown but gender roles would be more hard and defined their then it is in our society.

Although I think it would be only recently that the children would have been allowed to choose their own gender as a parallel to our societies own gender struggles.

Just thinking about how much of the society would change in some areas but stay the same in other areas is so interesting. Hmm, one thing that'll probably change is that women suffrage would happen way earlier there then it would happen here, probably in their renaissance period? Maybe earlier actually, probably sometimes after when government started taking a census of their population.

Dex-chan lover
How is this series so freaking good?! It helps that the translation team is good.

Dex-chan lover
this is getting so tiresome... i'm really not getting how people are ok with the doctor and what he's been doing. imagine being a doctor and being this big of a piece of shit

Users who are viewing this thread