The Horizon - Vol. 3 Ch. 17 - The Boy and the Girl: Part 4

Dex-chan lover
"One of the main rules of writting. Dont fucking kill off one of your characters without an important reason. Dont think that you're doing something revolutionary by building up a chracter just to have them die and expect the fans to accept it."

...I mean, the work IS entirely about the nihilistic circumstances of life; death comes suddenly and unfairly, and can happen regardless of anyone's "importance" (hence all the flashback panels reminding you of the sheer SIZE of the life being ended-for-no-reason in this chapter), and it wouldn't make that point as impactfully if it did anything less than kill the most important character possible.

It's an art piece about life, not a piece of escapist fantasy. It's supposed to make you reflect on reality, not escape it. The death in this chapter is a logical continuation of the themes of the work (not that it didn't catch me off guard or make me feel sad).

So yes, you said "don't kill off one of your characters without an important reason", and there is an important reason. The story is following through on its central themes. There's nothing more important to the art piece than for it to do that.

Since the begining of the chap with the Road end sign being repeatedly shown and the girl saying "the road Is disappearing" It eluded somewhat about her death. And i think the boy didn t kill himself not because he was scared of ending his life but he thought about his promise to her.

Damn it... this felt terrible. I was feeling that one of them was going to die at some point but this feels wrong :(

I really hope this is a dream and reinforces the boys feelings about killing. To make him feel that fear of loss of what he has left. Changing him to more like the older man who cared for them.

Either way, I threw my phone after reading the chapter. Lol

This is a good nihilistic art piece. In the end, the value that human give at something or someone is irrelevance at the reality of existence. The girl is valueable to the boy and to us but at the end her could vanish from existence by mere coincindence.

Dunno about anyone else, but I really like how the author uses their panels. Namely all the shots of The Girl under that missile and what appears to be every panel in the series so far in that one page. Very interesting stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread